It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London hospital opens to Web-addicted "screenagers"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well it seems a large proportion of those of you who read this should evaluate your Internet Usage!

The new and seemingly growing in instances, and acceptance by the Mainstream Medical community that "Technology Addicts" or "Internet Addicts" is a treatable disorder.

In the US the guidelines for what is and is not an actual "Addiction" in the updating of the currently used DSM 4, they are working on 5 now of the:

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

What they use to diagnose patients with, includes the new:

category of "behavioural addictions" has been created

And further:

"We couldn't find enough scientific evidence for the existence of sex addiction, but we did feel that gambling merited inclusion and we seriously considered Internet addiction,"

So at a stroke of a pen recently, many people would then have had nothing stopping a Psychiatrist or other Mental Health Provider, diagnosing them with a Mental Disorder.

Sobering thought. Besides the issues of further control, invasion into peoples lives, if used wrongly etc, are we like the first smokers, falling blindly for an emotional and information addiction as apposed to chemical?

If then it exists,

Does it affect us all differently?

I can’t see myself doing this, can you?

(March 5) -- A South Korean couple addicted to the Internet left their 3-month-old daughter to starve to death while they raised a virtual daughter online during 12-hour bouts at a cyber cafe, police said.

Police say the couple left their infant alone in their apartment and rushed back from the Internet cafe just once a day to feed her!

I use the net a lot, am I addicted, I say No

But they obviously were very much so!

And this guy to:

Last month, a 24-year-old man collapsed and died in an Internet cafe in the south-western city of Kwangju after playing computer games for 86 hours straight.

So something is happening with hopefully only a small number of people!
So they are going to treat it officially in a Hospital in London:

A hospital in London has initiated Britain's first dedicated technology addiction clinic, aimed at teens that can't break away from the Web, video games, or their phones. The service is open to children as young as 12, but is mostly aimed at 15 to 17-year-olds who find it difficult to shut off their computers
and video games.

The Dr in the UK who is setting this up states:

Dr Graham, who also sees NHS patients, said some parents reported that their children flew “into a rage” when they were told to turn off their computer, and police had even been called to sort out the rows.

Well is that just a reaction to the control, and teenage tantrums?

Maybe the same would have been observed about a bike etc... without observing

They will also offer inpatient services at the clinic, and as the target range will be 12-17yrs old, liberty issues bother me. Labels should be used on these kids carefully.

Especially with freedom issues if under age of consent and the following:

Dr Graham's treatment programme lasts 28 days if done intensely.

And if you’re young, hormones flying, rebelling a bit, had your heart just broken for the first time and escaping online for a few months, then you’re forced into more control/rebel drama by being put in this place for a month, then smiling "therapists" in your face

It begins with psychotherapy designed to address the patient's issues with face-to-face relationships.

Which means enforced face to face interaction with someone you don’t know, or probably like.

Not sure on the approach to address this lol, but obviously some do have issues distinguishing "reality" from "Cyberspace", where is the line though?

Is there a subtle hint of controlling the net?

Surely TV should have been classified as an Addiction a long time ago.
Anyone with kids and Kids TV shows knows that.

Are we not watching enough TV?

Having thought on this much as I evaluated if I had one or other of, as the Clinic Director asks:

He called for official guidelines “on what counts as healthy or unhealthy use of technology.”

Concluded that the emotional context is the key.

And who and how could you quantify such a thing anyhow as guidelines?

I use the net a lot.
But before the Net I would be in a library, or bookshop, or lecture.

The net is a wonderful information & communication resource.
I like the ease of use of carrying a mobile sometimes.....often off!

However it is just to me a Modality, a way to do those things, that is easier.

Because when I:

encourages them to think about their relationship with their phone, computer games or social networking websites like Facebook and teaches them skills to help them to switch off.

Realised the word and context "Relationship" above is the crux.

I don’t have a Relationship with my phone, I buy one, use it if it rings or beeps, make a call if needed. When it stops working I get a new one.

Simple as. My last one lasted 5 years!

Relationship with facebook? lol would have to meet first

But I know that’s not the norm.

Maybe though if you yourself find that you just have to have the latest phone, miss facebook every hour, and neglect real people for cyber creations its worth thinking about the context you put emotional value on parts of your life.

Are you a "Screenager"? or getting close to it?

Elf?

[edit on 22-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I see you mention the television aspect.

How is it that their isn't some disorder for people sat on their backsides watching tv all the time, yet there is for people using the internet?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Exactly my concern also, and maybe it hints at underlying moves to control the labelling of addictions disorders in favor of control and subserviance.

The issue could be said that TV is very passive, you are fed and from a set munu.

That is beliefs, and information ideas/news.

The Net is like a kitchen, make what you want and choose the ingredients. see before you buy as well.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You know the biggest part of a Problem Addiction is admitting you have one in the first place

Get out of your closets junkies!

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Anyone can become addicted to just about anything. Sounds like it's mostly another excuse for Drs. to slap on a mental illness so they can sell the family medications and counseling. I can see in some cases where help is needed however. What if the parents got to the bottom of the problem? Monitering the teens and restricting time on the net, removing the computer to the living room, etc. Find out what they may be addicted to on there? If a teen has an addictive personality, maybe can't aquire cigs-alcohol-drugs, so they fall into or just normally are playing Farmville on Facebook all night, for ex., or finding, 'dirty' pictures...maybe it's more of the brain's addiction reward for gaming and p*rno. Not to mention maybe the teens are like us, studying, learning and wanting to expand their intellect and views, through BBS's and websites. But then against Drs. may also find ATS as bad because of the conspiracy topics! I guess TV addictions never stuck, somehow they must see vegetating the brain as okay whereas on the net you can actually think.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by dreamingawake]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
I guess TV addictions never stuck, somehow they must see vegetating the brain as okay whereas on the net you can actually think.

Excellent points, and I think the above is part of the crux of the matter.

They dont want us to think about differant options, and come to our own conclusions, but to be told and passively accept as the truth.

Kind Regards,

Elf

new topics

top topics

join