It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Donald Keyhoe's UFO Archives.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

“The Air Force had put out a secret order for its pilots to capture UFOs. For the last six months we have been working with a congressional committee investigating official secrecy concerning proof that UFOs are real machines under intelligent.....”

Major Donald Keyhoe, during a live TV broadcast on CBS in 1958 in which he was pulled from the air when he began to deviate from the prepared format of the programme.

Major Donald Keyhoe's archives have now been made available free on line - for those who don't know of him he was a very important chap in the history of UFO research and co-founder of the NICAP organisation in 1956.

The archives cover a great deal of topics involved with the UFO subject such as historical and global reports, government documents, scientific papers, police encounters, newspaper articles etc.. as well as coverage of specific UFO incidents and press conferences from the Pentagon and U.N.

They also contain some very interesting interviews and comments from such people as Dr James E. Mcdonald, Hermann Oberth, Jan Aldrich, Francis Ridge, Ted Bloecher, Wendy Connors, Barry Greenwood etc.. and observations about government sponsered UFO panels like the Condon committee and Robertson Panel.

Archives:

"The Keyhoe Archives includes significant UFO research material from Major Donald Keyhoe, Richard Hall, the Fund for UFO Research, Isabel Davis, Ted Bloecher, Dr. James McDonald, Marshall Cleaver..

Journal of UFO History - A Publication of the Donald E. Keyhoe Archives

Bio:

Donald Keyhoe graduated from the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, in 1920, with a BS degree and a commission as a second lieutenant in the USMC. Keyhoe became a Naval aviator, piloting both balloons and airplanes in the period between the World Wars. After a flying accident in Guam he was medically retired from the military. During World War II he was recalled to active duty with the rank of major in the USMC.

When the first "flying saucer" sightings were reported in June,1947, Keyhoe, an experienced pilot, was skeptical. True asked him to investigate UFOs in 1949. He interviewed numerous pilots as well as military officers in the Pentagon. Keyhoe discovered that expert observers had seen the unexplained discs, many at close range. His article "Flying Saucers Are Real" in the January,1950 issue of True became one of the most widely read and discussed articles in publishing history, and caused a sensation. In January, 1950, the article was expanded into a paperback book. In 1957, Keyhoe became Director of the newly formed National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP) in Washington, DC. Under Keyhoe's leadership NICAP gave serious publicity to the UFO phenomena throughout the 1960s and encouraged subsequent Congressional hearings.

Link

Related Links:

Extended Biography - books and articles.

Major Keyhoe gets cut off air - USAF Censorship of TV broadcast?

Major Keyhoe - sound-clip audio collection.

edit on 5-5-2023 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thank you for the links to the archives. Major Keyhoe was a tireless personality who wanted to get to the bottom of the UFO phenomena. He was hoping the government and military would come clean with its knowledge. We are still awaiting for them to release all that they know about the subject.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Kidflash, thanks for the reply -those archives certainly contain some very interesting reading and the 'Volume One, Number Five' file covering interviews with Barry Greenwood and the Portage County incident is a great one.

Found this letter at the NICAP link dealing with Major Keyhoe's removal from the airwaves - its quite an interesting read considering the content of what he was saying.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6558a7582d7b.gif[/atsimg]

Newspaper clipping and article about censored CBS programme (pdf)

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, Karl!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this thread, I flagged it because I feel Maj Keyhoe lends a huge dose of credibility to the UFO investigators field.

His book, aliens from space, had me up til I finished it front to back.

He also opened up for me personally, a thousand avenues to pursue in reading about the history of UFOlogy.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies- Major Keyhoe certainly was a very knowledgeable chap and, as well as compiling the archives, he did an awful lot of campaigning to get the UFO subject treated seriously.
There's a free copy of one of his E-books on this thread (a few posts down) and interesting letter below sent by him to President Truman in which he discusses UFO evidence, official USAF debunking policy and press censorship.

Letter to President Truman from Major Donald Keyhoe, Director of the NICAP, 3 February 1959:

PDF File

On February 3, 1959, retired Major Donald E. Keyhoe, Director of the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP), writes to former President Harry Truman about UFOs.The three page letter with attachments argues that there is a UFO cover-up and press censorship then describes the legal regulations (AFR 200-2 and JANAP 146) that officially invokes espionage laws in relation to both military and civilian pilots reporting UFOs. Here is a sampling of some quotations: "One of our aims is to expose frauds; another is to convince the press and public that this is a serious problem despite the ridicule...caused by the official debunking policy, which is now used to obscure the concerned and intensive investigation of Air Force and other agencies," or "There is a mass of evidence supporting our claims as to UFO reality and official censorship," or "As Admiral Hillenkoetter told me some time ago, the only way to break the secrecy is by means of open hearings on Capitol Hill."

The attachments to this letter are equally interesting, included is a long list of names and occupations of 120 witnesses to UFO events, mostly pilots, military officers and credible civilians; many have direct quotations about their sighting or the UFO enigma. Two short articles are also included, one on UFO censorship and the other titled "Radar Absorbing Material May Create Serious Problem.".

Link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Interview with Major Keyhoe and Bob Pratt.

Donald Edward Keyhoe was one of the most prominent people in the world of UFOs in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. His influence on ufology was great. His five books and numerous magazine articles about UFOs convinced countless thousands of people that UFOs are real. Because of him, many of those readers became UFO researchers themselves who are still active today. This article by Bob Pratt recounts his conversations with Donald Keyhoe.

Conversations with Major Donald Keyhoe

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

AIR FORCE CENSORSHIP OF TV BROADCAST ABOUT UFOs STIRRED CONTROVERSY IN 1958.

In one of the more bizarre incidents of UFO history, a major CBS Television broadcast about UFOs, sponsored by a large corporation, was cut off the air when Maj. Donald E. Keyhoe, USMC (Ret.) departed from the script and started to ad lib.

The "Armstrong Circle Theater," sponsored by the Armstrong Cork Company of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, was a popular program at that time. The UFO discussion, broadcast on Jan. 22, 1958, was titled UFOs: Enigma of the Skies. It had been carefully scripted under the strong influence of the Air Force.

Frustrated by the continued efforts of the Air Force to control what he wanted to say, Maj. Keyhoe started to announce that NICAP (the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, which he directed) had been working with a Senate committee to investigate UFO secrecy, when the sound level of the audio - very obviously -- was abruptly cut.

When CBS-TV was deluged with phone calls, letters, and telegrams protesting what appeared to be overt censorship, CBS justified the action by stating:

"This program had been carefully cleared for security reasons....public interest was served by the action taken by CBS."

Link

Script for the show found in Blue Book Archives

Amended CBS Television Interview.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Good resource, thanks. I recall carrying his paperback book around in my hip pocket until the cover nearly wore off.

I'll need to go through the files to see what material he was collecting on the astronaut UFO encounter stories, and especially any reports to him directly from his man at Cape Canaveral, Clark McClelland. Did you come across anything like that in your own survey?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
I'll need to go through the files to see what material he was collecting on the astronaut UFO encounter stories, and especially any reports to him directly from his man at Cape Canaveral, Clark McClelland. Did you come across anything like that in your own survey?

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply and I agree its a pretty good resource - some of the articles are very interesting indeed and the interviews with Francis Ridge, Jan L. Aldrich, Ted Bloecher, Loren Gross etc.. are well worth a look.

As for Clark McClelland, I think he's a highly questionable character and Phage makes a good point below about the humongous thread already written about his claims.

This topic has been quite thoroughly discussed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

McClelland did work for NASA. He was trained as a Spacecraft Operator (not an astronaut). He may have worked as one for a very brief time before he was "let go".

Thread

I did find a letter of commendation for Major Keyhoe from Pentagon/USAF spokesperson Albert Chop though - he describes Keyhoe as 'a responsible and accurate reporter' and 'a leading civilian authority' on the UFO subject.

Some of the incidents found on the 'Clearance List' below are also very interesting and remain unexplained.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3035d6921500.jpg[/atsimg]

The Chop Clearance List

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sounds like Major Donald Keyhoe knew what he was talking about,also an obvious cover up by the US military complex.Also another thing to note is why would the Major be lying,he clearly has nothing to gain from this,and his report makes sense as well,interesting.Good post.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by paradoxchild]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by paradoxchild

Paradoxchild, thanks for the reply -there's a great photograph on the sixth page of this file (pdf) showing Major Keyhoe holding NICAP's UFO Evidence report - I don't know if you've ever had a look through it but it contains some very interesting information and I think it should be read by everyone with an interest in (or opinion on) the UFO subject -especialy those cheeky debunkers.

The NICAP Evidence Report

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f14d1ad21bed.jpg[/atsimg]

A synthesis is presented of data concerning Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) reported during the past 20 years through governmental, press and private channels. The serious evidence is clarified and analyzed. The data are reported by categories of specially trained observers and studied by patterns of appearance, performance and periodic recurrence.

The UFO Evidence - published by NICAP

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I'll take a look,thx buddy

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
As for Clark McClelland, I think he's a highly questionable character and Phage makes a good point below about the humongous thread already written about his claims.

I agree re McClelland, but my point is, McClelland claims to have been personally reporting to Keyhoe throughout the 1960s about UFOs and space missions -- famous stories which entered the UFO literature. I'd like to find out how much Keyhoe believed and repeated McClelland's stories. Of course, McClelland's claim, like so many others, could be exaggerated or entirely bogus, too. That's why the files might be useful.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Hey Jim -have never seen any mention of Keyhoe substantiating McClelland's story either in the files or elsewhere - Michael Lindemann does mention here that Richard Hall once gave a character reference for him to his CNI news journal but I don't know how true that is.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Hey Jim -have never seen any mention of Keyhoe substantiating McClelland's story either in the files or elsewhere - Michael Lindemann does mention here that Richard Hall once gave a character reference for him to his CNI news journal but I don't know how true that is.

My quandry is, a lot of the stories on McClelland's home page that he claims to have originated, were also in the general UFO literature in the 1960s. I wonder whether they got into the literature because Keyhoe publicized the reports on them that he'd received from McClelland -- or whether McClelland only later read the reports in the literature and then CLAIMED to be the secret originator. Or something else....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Jim, I could be wrong and I haven't realy looked at McClelland's background in depth but I suspect it's the latter explanation - he's also asking for 'donations' on his website which is never a good sign.

Found these interesting statements in the Keyhoe archives concerning the Washington radar visual sightings of 1952 and was wondering what your opinions were on the official explanation of it all being down to 'temperature inversions'.

"There is no other conclusion I can reach but that for six hours on the morning of the 20th of July, 1952 there were at least ten unidentifiable objects moving above Washington....I can safely deduce that they performed gyrations which no known aircraft could perform. By this I mean that our scope showed that they could make right angle turrns and complete reversals of flight".
Senior Air Route Traffic Controller Harry Barnes.

"I saw several bright lights. I was at my maximum speed, but even the I had no closing speed...Later I chased a single bright light which I estimated about ten miles away. I lost visual contact with it at about two miles".
Lt William Patterson, F-94 Pilot who chased UFOs over Washington DC, 1952.

The 1952 UFO Sighting Wave, Part 1 (pdf)

Part 2

Part 3

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Interesting statements from Major Keyhoe's former classmates.

Tribute to Major Donald Keyhoe.

Major Keyhoe's knowledge of aviation and Government affairs, and his high-level military contacts, were put to work when NICAP was officially launched in 1957.Among Keyhoe's Annapolis classmates were Adm. Delmer Fahrney, chief of guided missiles for the Navy, who signed off on the 1957 press release announcing the formation of NICAP, and Adm. Roscoe Hillenkoetter, first director of the Central Intelligence Agency, who served as a Board Member for several years.

Link

Vice Admiral Roscoe Hillenkoetter

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/850cf0fa379a.jpg[/atsimg]

"It is time for the truth to be brought out in open Congressional hearings. Behind the scenes high ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about the UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe the unknown flying objects are nonsense."
Vice Admiral Roscoe Hillenkoetter - the first Director of the CIA, 1947-50.

Admiral Delmer S. Fahrney

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ecedfde5f1c9.jpg[/atsimg]

"No agency in this country or Russia is able to duplicate at this time the speeds and accelerations which radars and observers indicate these flying objects are able to achieve... there are objects coming into our atmosphere at very high speeds."

Statement by Admiral Delmer S. Fahrney, former head of the Navy's guided-missile program, January 1957

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It is such a shame that so many military people want to speak out and let us know what is going on, but they are ridiculed.

I think before I ran across Aliens from Space and Keyhoe, I was *into* ufos and aliens, but wasnt as tuned into the military aspect of ufos. It never crossed my mind I guess, that the military went to such great lengths to literally create the alien culture, and the more I read the less I liked the military's way of business.

I have more to say about my impressions of Keyhoe's book Aliens from Space, and how our military manipulates us in regards to UFOS, in another post.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Hotbakedtater, thanks for the reply -I don't know about the military 'literaly creating the alien culture' but Joseph Capp makes some interesting comments about them in the article below - he also mentions how Major Keyhoe discovered that debunkers like Donald Menzel didn't even bother to read the reports about specific incidents before attempting to 'explain' them.

UFOs and Donald Keyhoe: The Forgotten Champion

If you don’t know about Major Donald Keyhoe he was the first real UFO researcher. He created NICAP. In the early days of “Flying Saucer” investigations those pursuing an answer to these objects did not know the debunkers were not going to play fair. Keyhoe understood the workings of the Air force and why they did what they did with the UFO phenomenon… but he trusted scientists and felt debunking was a service.
He expected Donald Menzel (Astronomer) and other scientists to formulate their explanations based upon all of the data. This, of course, did not happen. On Menzel’s investigation of three pilot encounters, Keyhoe was shocked by his explanations. It seems Menzel had simple prosaic answers to all of them including the famous “UFO Mantel Jet crash” . Keyhoe couldn’t understand how Mensel came to these conclusions. “Hadn’t he seen the investigation reports by Bluebook”. Keyhoe had mentioned earlier in his book, “Flying Saucers From Outer Space” how he believed Menzel was sincerely searching for answers. But get this: Keyhoe checked with Project Bluebook and found Menzel hadn’t read any of the three reports on these pilots sightings because he hadn’t requested them.

Link

Cheers.

<<   2  3 >>

join