It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glock 34 - an epiphany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
So there I was trying out my new Hk P30 in .40S&W this weekend (which itself is an incredible weapon btw) and as good as the DA/SA trigger on that gun is, I still found myself whining at the transition from the first shot, and started to think idly that Glocks still have the best compromise trigger. So on the way out of the store I glance over to the display case, and there it was, the Holy Grail of the Glock range, the model 34.

I asked to take a look, and it turned out to be factory new, "just in" said the owner, "don't see these very often", and even the price was a very resonable (for Arizona) $599.

For those who don't know, the G34 is a long slide G17 primarily intended for competition work, but has found more favor as a dedicated self defence weapon. It is built on the G17 frame but has a lengthened 5.3 inch barrel with a large cut out in the top of the slide to maintain balance. On top of that it has a lightened trigger pull, extended mag release, extended slide stop, and a fully adjustable rear sight.

In making a competition gun, Glock accidentally made a self defence pistol that surpasses the capabilities of the classic model 17.

This thing points and balances like a dream, I can dial the sights in to my bullet weight of choice, the trigger breaks at an old school, and lawyer scaring, 4.5 lbs, those extended controls should be standard on EVERY Glock, and I get to use cheap G17 mags.

This gun may just be it, it may be the perfect SD pistol I have spent the last 10 years searching for. Now all I have to do is take a trip out into the desert where I can practice some holster drills with it to see if it shoots like it feels. Watch this space.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ok, now I'm officially jealous of you.

I'm curious though, do you plan to carry it? I ask because I have the G19, and chose it due to what I believed would be a higher degree of conceal-ability over the G17. And your G34 is even bigger than the G17!

If I wasn't currently living in a place that more-or-less requires a carry firearm to be concealed, I'd definitely be right there with you.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Don't know much about the G34 hopefully they solved some of the problems they had with the G22 and G23...

Oh it was nothing a normal shooter would have a problem with... but a lot of police departments found in the G22 especially... figured out that the combo of a G22, 165gr ammo (especially the Gold Dot) and the mounted lights leads to a nasty feed ramp/front of mag nose dive stoppage....

Glock redesigned the mag but it seemed the problem came from the new receivers (finger grooves and rail)... Adding weight under the barrel caused just enough frame flex to throw everything out of alignment....

Of course none of that relates to your G34 but it is something to be aware of when you start thinking about adding Tac lights and lasers

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

I've found that length of gun really isn't a factor in carrying, it's how wide a pistol is that makes it more (or less) difficult to conceal, for me at least.

Not sure about using the G34 for concealed carry though, I have a 26 that fits that bill with a custom IWB leather holster I had made for that purpose. What I am thinking however is using the G34 for everything else, car gun, nighstand gun, and open carry gun for hiking on Arizona's back trails, it may only be a 9mm, but with 18 rounds, and the extra velocity from the longer barrel there aren't many 4 legged critters that would need more than that.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Retseh]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
DaddyBare - What's your opinion of the Colt Combat Commandeer in .38 super?

[edit on 22-3-2010 by DAVID64]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

great gun one of the best ever made.... makes the 357sig redundant... however...
better learn to reload...rounds for that are very hard to find...
reloading is not as hard as it sounds Look here

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Glock => Combat Tupperware

Glocks are accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain. Just what you want from a firearm. My only con against Glocks is their low trigger pull, especially since there is no traditional safety. Call me old fashion, but I prefer using an on-/off-switch for my firearm's safety mechanism.

Despite that low trigger pull, I won't knock out any Glock. I think the Glock's trigger pull should be in the 6 - 7 lbs, instead of Glock's 4.5 lb. But that's just my opinion. With the right training, practice and mindset, trigger pull weight doesn't matter.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Ya know... that's why I rebuilt the trigger assembly on my P94 ruger... loved the gun hatted the trigger, especially when it came to the ultra long DA pull....

Its a whole lot better now but the amount of work I had to do would make it cost prohibitive if I had to take it to someone else to have it done...

Yeah I'm a cheapskate by nature, dont like having to pay for something that shouldnt have been a problem in the first place.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks for the reply. My dad bought that gun when I was still in my teens, and then after he died a few years ago my mom gave it to me. I'm 45 now so it's been around a few years. Strange though, some say they have a lot of trouble getting that caliber, but I've never had any problems at all. I can get 50 round boxes all day at about 18 bucks per box. Now I've probably jinxed myself and they'll get scarce.

new topics

top topics

join