It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 New Taxes The Democrats Just Foisted On The American People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
For those that love imposing taxes on others. Remember taxes are 'trickle down'.

Summarized from:
www.businessinsider.com...

1. Excise tax on high cost employer-sponsored health coverage - A 40% tax on health insurance plans exceeding determined levels. Those levels are projected for 2013 to be $8,500 for self only and $23,000 for any other level.
  2. Increase in additional tax on distributions from HSAs and Archer MSAs not used for qualified medical expenses - An increase from 10% to 20% on taxes of money in a health savings account not used for qualified medical expenses. For Archer medical savings accounts, an increase from 15% to 20%.
  3. A tax on failing hospitals - A $50,000 tax on hospital organizations, which fail to meet described quality requirements.
  4. Imposition of annual fee on branded prescription pharmaceutical manufacturers and importers - A fee based upon the sales of pharmaceutical companies in relation to the total sale of such pharmaceutical products to the public.
  5. Imposition of annual fee on medical device manufacturers and importers - Medical device manufacturers must pay a fee in relation to the sales of their product in the marketplace and the total sales of devices.
  6. Imposition of annual fee on health insurance providers - A fee applied to all health insurance providers based upon net premiums and any third party fees associated with the administration of those programs.
  7. Additional hospital insurance tax on high-income taxpayers - High income tax payers, making on a joint return over $250,000 and a standard return over $200,000, are required to pay an additional 0.5% of wages. This applies to both self-employed, and regularly employed individuals.
  8. Excise tax on elective cosmetic medical procedures - A tax of 5% is levied upon the am mount paid for any cosmetic surgery.
  9. Tax on individuals without acceptable health care coverage - A 2.5% income tax on individuals who do not have health care coverage, limited to a cost less than the average national health care premium.
  10. Health insurance fee - For self-insured plans, a fee on the the sponsor whether that is the employer or the employee organization. Also, a fee on the issuer of every health care plan imposed.
  11. Tax on non-electing businesses who refuse to supply health care - For firms refusing to pay health insurance, but not meeting required exclusions, an 8% tax on wages will be applied.
  12. Imposition of tax on indoor tanning - A tax of 10% on the amount paid for any tanning service.
  13. 1% surcharge on individuals making more than $350,000 - A 1% tax increase for individuals making between $350,000 and $500,000.
  14. 1.5% surcharge on individuals making more than $500,000 - A 1.5% tax increase for individuals making between $500,000 and $1 million.
  15. 5.4% surcharge on individuals making more than $1 million - A 5.4% increase for individuals making more than $1 million.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Wow.. shenanigans! I was startled by seeing the tanning tax thing. I looked at the actual text of the bill and realized they pulled a stunt.

The cosmetic surgery tax is indeed listed in there, but then moving on to the tanning tax (maybe we should call it the "Brown tax"?) and you see the following:

The provisions of, and amendments made by, section 9017 of this Act are hereby deemed null, void, and of no effect.

In other words, the entire cosmetic surgery tax is repealed in the same law it is enacted.

What the hell is going on in D.C.?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Maybe if the United States stopped invading countries and fighting wars around the world that it cannot afford, all these extra taxes would not be necessary. However, I don't think any reasonable person could justify a war in Iraq over basic health care for its citizens.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hmm.. interesting clause in section 5000a defining a person who cannot afford coverage

Any applicable individual for any month if the applicable individual’s required contribution (determined on an annual basis) for coverage for the month exceeds 8 percent of such individual’s household income for the taxable year described in section 1412(b)(1)(B) of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. For purposes of applying this subparagraph, the taxpayer’s household income shall be increased by any exclusion from gross income for any portion of the required contribution made through a salary reduction arrangement.

So this, in my understanding, says that affordable coverage must be less than or equal to 1/150 of annual gross salary.

This puts someone working 40 hours a week at 6.25/hour at a rate of $86/month for health insurance before they qualify as a person who cannot afford coverage.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by krunchy

America overreacts whenever someone attacks them, this should be common knowledge by now. Just ask Japan. If you don't want them raining bombs down with reckless abandon it's a good idea not to sink their boats or knock down their towers, they hate that. However your right they can't afford a large military and universal health care. Not with the debt burden they have already built up recently with the stimulus and bailing out banks.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
they can collect my taxes in a bag.

Sick of it all, taxation without representation or transparency.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It feels like the system is rigged so that you just can't get ahead. Every time you think you're getting your head above water, the government adds a few more weights to your ankles. Like when I was in high school, and I spent a year paying off the last speeding ticket, then I would get the next one. Same thing now with taxes.

top topics

join