What is the best Outdoorsman( Survival) Boot?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Here’s an open question to the board…
Lately I’ve been looking for a good boot for both backcountry and daily kicking around home, use…

Sounds like this should be simple but...
Over the past year I’ve bought several and have yet to have one last more than a few months before the glue gives up, hooks for a lace pops off or something else goes wrong…

basically what I’ve ended up with is cheap crap despite paying big bucks for some of them…

Well here I am again in need of rugged footwear but I hate to just throw good money after bad…
anyone got something they’d recommend? Something that’s not going to fall apart after a couple months in the backcountry?

Yes I know about Army boots but I was thinking something more light weight, more modern in design

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
For pure Survival related subjects, you only have one choice:

The SAS Survival Handbook by John Lofty Wiseman.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If your going to be out in rugged country on your feet all day long get something with a good steel shank, top of the line Vibram one piece sole, and dont shy away from good leather. Some leather is lite but durable. Carolina makes some good boots that fit this discription.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well it depends on the kind of terrain you need it for.

Heavy ones are
Zamberlan Vioz
Really really really awesome for heavy terrain.

Bit lighter ones I can reccomend
Asolo TPS 535

Or my personal favorite for mid-terrain
Salomon Mission.
Unlike other boots, they dont send their shooes to china to slap on some Vibram.
They make their own soles exactly for the shoe.
Amazing boot.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by freebourn]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

In my climate I use the Bates 8" delta boot....I think made by "Rocky"...not sure though.
Great for water drainage, very warm, and this pair is 6-8 years old, and still takes a shine like new, although you can't hide that they are well broken in.

Now these would not be ideal for extreme winter or continual snow cover, but, if traveling, woods, mountains, creeks, I can honestly say hands down , these are my boot of choice!

www.batesfootwear.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

OOOPS! My bad.

I thought you had committed a typo with boots to mean books

I'll get my coat ........

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
For backpacking/hiking boots that are non-military/hunting styles...

The fewer the seams the better - full leather upper with only 1 or 2 pieces.
non-Gortex liner will give you more breathability.
Shanks (full or 3/4) will determine the flex.
Soles - vibram lugs for better traction.

I prefer Scarpa or La Sportiva, maybe Vasque ... (and Danner can be a good one for guys)

If the problem is cheaply made boots (and most are, since outsourced) than consider a custom boot.

Example

[edit on 22-3-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Whatever you can afford! That sums it up.

Canadian Cold Weather Survival Boots and Russian Cold Weather Tac-boots. If you want fine warm weather boots find Jungle Boots with breathable shank and quick-drying...

I like steel toe but makes it heavier and less comfortable.

Army surplus is best find ones not made in China, light wear, comfort to you. Army surplus is the only place you find it cheap, and durable. New and durable, will be expensive. Cheap ones will look cool but probably fall apart.

I liked Blackhawks when I tried them, if I had the money I would buy them now, standard issue works find though, like I said army surplus, unless you can afford the above.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I like my Asolo's and they've lasted several mountain hikes. Sportivas are also good.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well I can be hard on a pair of boots... just yesterday I was up on the roof replacing some shingles that came loose in our latest storm... then I had to muck out a chicken coop. and did some weed pulling to get the garden ready for another growing season

This morning I was hiking along the river, muddy mess today. later I'll take the granddaughter to the park and put my tired dogs up on the bench while I watch her swing and slide...

On any given day I put at least twenty miles on my feet in every kind of environment from the wal-mart super store to trudging across the desert looking for cool rocks...

What they call normal shoes just cant keep up and as a side bar if a SHTF came up.... normal hiking boost would rot off my feet in just one season.
you don't want to be barefoot in the backcountry...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Another vote for ASOLO. If you want the best and money isn't an object, asolo is what I recommend.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Vasque used to put out a good boot until China took over their production. Dr. Marten makes great footwear, they have a couple of pair out there that are built for the rugged extremes. The majority of their shoes however are urban in design, still top notch imo.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Asolo, Danner, and Bates are all good choices in my opinion.

The Blackhawk boots look nice, but I haven't tried any personally so I can't say either way as far as they go.

It's been hit and miss with Rocky. I have had a couple pair that were excellent, and others I have had come unglued and the soles on one pair started actually disintegrating and falling apart after about a year.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Here are some good boots:

Link

I have had a pair of these for over 10 years and they have not given me any problems. Had them re-heeled last year after ripping off a heel coming down a tree.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Symbiote]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I personally wouldn't accept anyone's recommendation for survival boots without first taking some important matters in consideration that will determine the true answer to your postings question.

First on my mind is geographic area which gets to be a big item in determining what boots are best. Boots for Alaska would not be the best boots in Texas or for that matter New Mexico. Geographic area is key and how many seasons that area has will determine whether you buy boots for the different seasons or whether you find a good all season boot that can be tweaked with the type of socks to help you deal with the bitter cold and the blistering heat or a season of wetness where it rains incessantly for weeks or months.

Second on the list of determiners is your age. If you are a young and youthful "YOOT", then you're level of activity is greater than some retired type that only wants to take it easy. As such, activity and what specific activity you will using the boots for comes into play. Hiking, mountaineering, river boat rafting, camping, long nature walks with wet and dry areas all play into what is best for you.

Third is weight and waterproofing. If you like a light weight feel when you move, then light weight is probably for you, however; if you like to not stumping toes or ankles and need more leather between you and what you walk on perhaps because of heat coming up from the soles, such issues can be a problem in a hot climate where you feel too much heat on your feet because of the boot design, then you need heavier boots. Once again, preference is a choice that will also come into play when you find your boots.

While Some boots are waterproof, others are not but can drain if needed. There are boots that are suited to wet conditions and which do not drain and all of these type of cheap boots will contribute to foot problems.

Fourth, If you plan to conduct military operations and need a good overall military work boot, patrol boot or boot for standing up to the rigors of some calamity, then once again the first three determiners come into play.

Lastly I would add that while cost is a factor, I never sacrifice cost for quality and if the Matterhorn boots I prefer for one task is going to cost me $145. dollars then that is the price you pay for quality and reliability. If you buy cheap Walmart China knock offs, it may be cheaper, but it wont last and will most likely let you down when you least need the problems.

If I have learned anything in my years of looking for boots that are best, is that some boots are better for somethings than others and while it would ideal to have just one set of boots, that can only be achieved based on my mentioned determiners. While I touched on socks only briefly, I can tell you that a good understanding of your socks and what they are made of is also a key part to helping you find the right boots. Socks are key and could probably be its own topic.

While some boots can legitimately be called good all around boots, it is mostly hype and probably someone trying to sell something.

I encourage you to test boots for different things and I am certain you will also discover what I and other already have learned about boots.

Thanks for the posting and I hope I have offered some good food for thought.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
For pure Survival related subjects, you only have one choice:

The SAS Survival Handbook by John Lofty Wiseman.

what does that have to do with the topic about what boot to where? are you insinuating he should wear a manual on his foot?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I love Meindl boots. Made in germany and really rugged with lots of good designs built to last.

Cabelas copied their designs and came up with a great boot. Pricey but designed to be bomb proof, worth it in my opinion.

www.cabelas.com... d=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat20570-cat601927&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601927&hasJS=true

www.cabelas.com... d=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat20570-cat601927&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601927&hasJS=true

www.meindl.de...

check them puppies out!!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Pick'em up......put'em down. From my old army daze. I actually ran in boots daily for PT. On paydays 12 miles to kole-kole pass and back. My US ARMY equipment held up well. Let the gov do the testing we pay for it. Mlitary issue holds up well.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
brigade quartermaster sell the good stuff all their stores are located near military bases,for survival, tough durable boots wont be cheap or light weight,minimize weight by getting 8 -6 inch boots ,no taller, an inch or 2 above your ankle is all the protection & stability you need, any taller just adds weight,if you have to move rapidly on your feet for a mile or more, a change to light weight underankle hiking style boots, will be have to be done,your regular "survival boots" are too heavy,the weight will slow you down and wear you out,also dont carry any thing of significant weight in thigh pockets on your pants ,again weight on feet & legs needs to be kept to minimum.NO COTTON SOCKS!! any amount of significant activity and cotton turns into wet rag.synthetic or wool or combo of both,work boot socks work good, a lot cheaper than hunting socks.

new topics
top topics

join