It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medicating the military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Medicating the military

www.armytimes.com

At least one in six service members is on some form of psychiatric drug.

And many troops are taking more than one kind, mixing several pills in daily “cocktails” — for example, an antidepressant with an antipsychotic to prevent nightmares, plus an anti-epileptic to reduce headaches — despite minimal clinical research testing such combinations.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

The drugs come with serious side effects: They can impair motor skills, reduce reaction times and generally make a war fighter less effective. Some double the risk for suicide, prompting doctors — and Congress — to question whether these drugs are connected to the rising rate of military suicides.

“It’s really a large-scale experiment. We are experimenting with changing people’s cognition and behavior,” said Dr. Grace Jackson, a former Navy psychiatrist.

It seems that Soldiers are being drugged like guinea pigs, regardless of the (long-term) side effects while these drugs have apparently caused the suicide rate to increase rapidly - 'many of the newest psychiatric drugs come with strong warnings about an increased risk for suicide, suicidal behavior and suicidal thoughts.':

From 2001 to 2009, the Army’s suicide rate increased more than 150 percent, from 9 per 100,000 soldiers to 23 per 100,000. The Marine Corps suicide rate is up about 50 percent, from 16.7 per 100,000 Marines in 2001 to 24 per 100,000 last year. Orders for psychiatric drugs in the analysis rose 76 percent over the same period.

www.armytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
yes interesting topic, there has been speculation over this for years. i cant say for the u.s forces but i did meet a man a couple of months ago who had not long been back in australia from being posted in afganistan, im pretty sure he was a corporal. anyway i met him after wat he said was 8 days with no sleep. he explained that he was over there for 4 years living, eating and sleeping in the trenches on constant look out. im not sure of his exact mission but he did explain some of what he did and saw, why, even if he could sleep he didnt want to and his daily 'vitamins' which he was adamant was partly bzp a form of methamphetimine. he said at some points he had gone up to 16 days without sleep, which he didnt really mind because every time he closed his eyes all he saw was a stretched table in front of him with the bodies of those he killed on top of it.

i would love to see an international enquiry on this and mandatory drug screening of all military personel for all drugs, illegal and prescription. also screenings on persons who have left the military or in military run camps. but who am i kidding right? they are all being fed up on lies and drugs but on the other hand i guess an army thats off its face should be easier to defeat than an army that is alert and 100% focused. thats not to say i agree with it.

antinwochick

join