It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Official Threatens to Prosecute Ann Coulter-for a talk she didn't give yet!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Theone2000

Obviously you don't share the same view as I do about free speech. Its funny how the very people who fight to limit it also cry the hardest when it is taken from them. Like I have said before free speech should have no limits because once you limit it then it becomes subjective and once it becomes subjective it is no longer free speech.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

we do have free speech here, but there are limitations. we cannot speak ideas of hatred freely. we cannot incite hatred to any identifiable groups.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilishlyangelic23

we do have free speech here, but there are limitations. we cannot speak ideas of hatred freely. we cannot incite hatred to any identifiable groups.

Then you do not have free speech I hate to tell you. Like I said before someone is drawing the line and they will always push the envelope. Let me say it again so that it can sink in you do not have free speech.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

well you know what...if free speech entitles people to be hateful towards each other...then i dont want it. sorry. i'd much rather our speech be censored so that people cannot spout hateful ideals. nothing good can come from hateful words, and thats likely why we dont allow it here.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

well you know what...if free speech entitles people to be hateful towards each other...then i dont want it. sorry. i'd much rather our speech be censored so that people cannot spout hateful ideals. nothing good can come from hateful words, and thats likely why we dont allow it here.

You sound like you HATE hateful speech!??

Quick someone call the RMP, and have this extremely hateful individual "dealt with accordingly" for his offensive hate speech.

He was clearly speaking about an identifiable group, and his tone was clearly hateful and calling for them to be "dealt with accordingly".

I find the hypocrisy ironic.

I'll pretend none of you know what you are talking about and that I didn't read this or post here, so I don't have to deal with the newfound realization that Canada is Totalitarian due to censoring political viewpoints they disagree with.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I will send Canada a slab of VB if Canadians throw rocks at Ann Coulter when she visits...

Imagine if she and Rush had a love child ? Oh the horror !!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
i sent a registration email, hopefully there are seats left. if there are, im going to attend her speech to see what she says. i have to see this for myself.

and i do not "hate" hateful speech. I think its morally wrong and should be prevented. nothing good can come from hateful speech. nothing.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

You sound like you HATE hateful speech!??

Quick someone call the RMP, and have this extremely hateful individual "dealt with accordingly" for his offensive hate speech.

He was clearly speaking about an identifiable group, and his tone was clearly hateful and calling for them to be "dealt with accordingly".

I find the hypocrisy ironic.

I'll pretend none of you know what you are talking about and that I didn't read this or post here, so I don't have to deal with the newfound realization that Canada is Totalitarian due to censoring political viewpoints they disagree with.

Your ignorance is astounding. No political viewpoints are ever censored. Hateful speech will not be tolerated, you worry about your country and will worry about ours.

If you don't like it here will be happy if you never step foot on our soil.

You people are a joke constantly taking things totally out of context.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

newsmax.com...

A Canadian university official is warning that best-selling conservative author Ann Coulter could be prosecuted -- for a speech she hasn’t even delivered yet.

No one is threatening to arrest her for a speech she has given yet. They are threatening to arrest her if her speech drifts towards hate crime.

Consider the following a cop warns you that if you drive drunk, you could be arrested. You haven't been arrested but he has pointed out the law to you only. Same thing here.

Anyway Coulter isn't fooling anyone and either is FAUX news, they love this kind of twisting of reality. Everyone will now tune in to see if it happens. Ratings, divisive comentary = $MOOLA$

Nice try on the the divide and conquer though.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Sorry, but rather you like her or not, this is just wrong.

from Article: Canadian university official is warning that best-selling conservative author Ann Coulter could be prosecuted -- for a speech she hasn’t even delivered yet. article:

Source: newsmax.com...

Again, no matter how you may feel about this particular person, she is an American and we have to stard together when this crap happens. Same thing with Michael Savage and Britian banning him FOR WHAT HE MIGHT SAY !!!!

Maybe ATS style of thinking just maybe next. Anyway, sounds like someone up there needs to lighten up.

[edit on 3/22/2010 by anon72]

[edit on 3/22/2010 by anon72]

Why should Americans enjoy American rights in countries that are NOT America?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
(Progressivism in Canada has traditionally been associated with the Right wing - see: The Progressive Conservative Party of Canada)

Not quite...the PC tag came about when the Progressive Party and the Conservative Party merged in 1942. Since the Reform takeover, the 'progressive' part of the name has been expunged.

You can call yourself whatever you want, but actions speak louder than words. I draw your attention to the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea. 'Nuff Said?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The full text of the letter to Ann Coulter can be found as part of this article:
network.nationalpost.com...

Personally I don't think it's a big deal at all, the provost never mentions arrest, and really is asking for restraint not threatening at all.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Free Speech is a Human Right.

I assume Canadians are "Human"?

www.un.org...

Universal Declaration of "Human" Rights

"Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 14.

(1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
(2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations."

"Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Free Speech is a Human Right.

I assume Canadians are "Human"?

Actually what you posted was proof that it is a UN right, not a human right. You are going to have a tough time proving what is and is not a "human right" so you might as well give that argument up right there.

The post I was specifically responding to said that she and Savage should enjoy free speech in other countries because they are Americans. That is the logic I am questioning. Save your "human rights" nonsense for someone else, please.

Again, no matter how you may feel about this particular person, she is an American and we have to stard together when this crap happen

I would really like that statement to make sense to me.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

Nowhere in the UN declaration does it give people unfettered speech. You are still responsible for the things you say. Just because you have a first amendment right doesn't mean you can scream "FIRE" in a crowded theatre for example.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Oh no, Canada is going to arrest Ann Coulter? We need to invade and occupy, then we can fix those secular, rational, humane, free people in that vast, beautiful and preserved land. It's about time we destroy Soviet Canuckistan!

Then we can build Canada in our image! Tents, churches and crumbling infrastructure! YAY!!! We will fix your broken government that is riddled with corruption, corporate influence and lobbyists and replace it with a republican and Palin as your president!

Oh and we will draft all you peaceful, loving, happy people to serve in our army as we pillage the world! Here's your new national anthem...

O former Canada!
Our once home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy corporate command.
With glowing hearts we see thee crumble,
The True North corrupt and 'free'!
From acid lakes and trashed shores,
O jesus christ, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land corrupt and 'free'!
O Glenn Beck, we stand on guard for thee.
O Rush Limbaugh, we stand on guard for thee.

[edit on 3/22/10 by Misoir]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
why is it so difficult for people to accept that we do not tolerate hateful behaviour in canada? i think free speech is fine and dandy, but people cannot abuse that to be hateful in their efforts. the canadian government seems to realize that being hateful doesnt lead to positivity and order, so they decided that they would not allow it. i think thats a GOOD thing.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
"Oh no, Canada is going to arrest Ann Coulter?"

No way, it would be a complete waste of tax dollars. Even the Government is smart enough to realize that.

Actually, there appears to be more free speech in Canada, than in the United States. The Canadian hate laws are a sham and are not required because Canada is a true melting pot where all cultures seem to blend together and get along just fine. When you're freezing your a** off half the year, it is kind of difficult to do much, including get out and fight.

More specifically, these hate laws violate the Charter of Rights. Here is an article from the National Post back in September of '09:

"The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal on Wednesday (9/02/09) ruled that Section 13, Canada's much maligned human rights hate speech law, violates the Charter right to free expression because it carries the threat of punitive fines."...

www.nationalpost.com...

I don't think this speaker should worry too much about potentially being criminally prosecuted for her sensationalistic pseudo-inflammatory rhetoric. The fact of the matter is most Canadians do not know who she is and do not have the time, nor the inclination, to listen to such narrow minded viewpoints.

She is just another one of the long list of phony American Media Dumpsters who use their big voices and miniscule brains to support a disreputable, secretive and corrupt two party system. Of course, the fact that her vile and divisive views are insignificant, does not necessarily mean she is not welcomed to visit Canada.

However, if she does start on her little trash talking routine, chances are she will not be invited back. Do not expect too many Canadians to be in tears over this most likely prospect.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If Canada allowed hate speeches etc. then yes That would be like Stalin and Hitler.

We do have freedom of speech and expression but there is no need for the hate propaganda that she or anyone else is selling.

Some people just abuse that right for all the wrong reasons.

Its funny because I remember a time in the USA where if anyone questioned or said hateful things about the president or the government, you would be labeled a terrorist, have ALL your rights taken away and sent to jail.

Hell, Aren't there still a lot of people held without trial or access to lawyers or rights in Guantanamo? People that actually haven't even been convicted of ANY crime. Just an assumption or suspicion. Isn't it one of your rights to be innocent until proven guilty? not the other way around?

If you go to the Philippines and spit your gum(which is banned) on the side walk, they would arrest you and cane you and theres nothing your country could do about it because you broke the law of that country. Just because you are from the USA or any other country for that matter, it doesn't give you the right to not have to abide by the country you are visitings laws.

Edit spelling

[edit on 22-3-2010 by QBSneak000]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join