It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Official Threatens to Prosecute Ann Coulter-for a talk she didn't give yet!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Sorry, but rather you like her or not, this is just wrong.

from Article: Canadian university official is warning that best-selling conservative author Ann Coulter could be prosecuted -- for a speech she hasn’t even delivered yet. article:

Source: newsmax.com...

Again, no matter how you may feel about this particular person, she is an American and we have to stard together when this crap happens. Same thing with Michael Savage and Britian banning him FOR WHAT HE MIGHT SAY !!!!

Maybe ATS style of thinking just maybe next. Anyway, sounds like someone up there needs to lighten up.

[edit on 3/22/2010 by anon72]

[edit on 3/22/2010 by anon72]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Well if she is promoting hatred against any identifiable group. I can see why she would get possible charges against her. Promoting hate is not against the law in the USA. But some times in some situations like the KKK promoting hate towed other races... I it feel should be against the law. It does no one any good.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Theone2000]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
To be completely honest, I'd arrest her just for entering my country. That kind of stupidity is contagious

But really look at the woman and her "works", she's pretty much insane.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Maybe ATS style of thinking just maybe next. Anyway, sounds like someone up there needs to lighten up.

Maybe you should tell the disabled Vietnam veteran to whom she said: "people like you caused us to lose that war" to lighten up. Or you could tell the Muslim world to lighten up over her comment "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity". People with opinions like hers shouldn't be role models in my opinion. I've never been a proponent Icke or his theory of reptilian politicians, but this woman makes me wonder if she really is a human being.

[edit on 07/17/2009 by Mumbotron]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Again, no matter how you may feel about this particular person, she is an American and we have to stard together when this crap happens. Same thing with Michael Savage and Britian banning him FOR WHAT HE MIGHT SAY !!!!

Uhm American law doesn't extend to all corners of the world. When you're a guest in someone else's country, you abide by their rules, just as you would expect visitors to America to do the same. If she or anyone else is coming here to preach hate, they will be arrested and prosecuted, Americans included, if you don't like it, stay the hell home.

Typical American state of mind.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

So, to understand you, a person can be told they can be arrested and subject to criminal prosecution based on what they MIGHT say-and even if they said something one thought was objective, whos to say the other 1000 in the room didn't find it objective.

Please, don't make this about me and the post. I don't particularly like her either but it is the premise of the article-not the person.

Imagine if it was you being told the same thing.

I have to admit when I was posting this that eventually someone would make this about me. Didn't expect to get too many S&F's lol Just good debate

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

yep, that pretty much sums it up
Palin didnt have a very warm welcoming in canada either. we dont tolerate any hateful opinion or anything promoting hateful ideas. i had never heard of this person before so i did a quick google search, and i find the things that she's said to be highly offensive. that type of thing is not accepted here.

who does this woman think she is? heres a quote from an article from the Toronto Sun..

"Coulter on Canada

In 2004 George Bush won a second term as a president of the United States after a race in which some democrats lamented they'd move to Canada if Bush defeated Al Gore. Weeks later, Ann Coulter appeared on Fox. Here's what she said:

"The worst Americans end up going (to Canada). The Tories after the Revolutionary War, the Vietnam draft dodgers after Vietnam and now after this election we even have blue states moving up there . . .

When you're allowed to exist on the same continent of the United States of America, protecting you with a nuclear shield around you, you're polite and you support us when we've been attacked on our own soil. They [Canada] violated that protocol.

They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent.

They don't even need to have an army, because they are protected, because they're on the same continent with the United States of America , , , we're their trading partner. We keep their economy afloat."

www.torontosun.com...

when you're ALLOWED to exist on the same continent? for real? I think that she needs to STAY in america if she feels so superior about her country. why even bother coming to lowly old canada?

with comments like that its no wonder she's not receiving a very warm welcome. and if she spouts hate from her big gaping mouth, she'll be dealt with accordingly. especially at UWO...haha. she may be in for a rude awakening there...

[edit on 22-3-2010 by devilishlyangelic23]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Misleading headline is misleading.

"Canadian Official" implies someone working in the Federal Government, presumably in a position of authority.

The person in question is, in fact an official of the University of Ottawa.
www.uottawa.ca...

Second, given that her book is called: “Guilty: Liberal ‘Victims’ and Their Assault on America",

saying:

“Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression.”
“For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges. Outside of the criminal realm, Canadian defamation laws also limit freedom of expression and may differ somewhat from those to which you are accustomed."

Seems like fair warning, given that charges can be brought by anyone in attendance who feels they're warranted. I don't see a threat in anything he said - rather a statement of fact, and a suggestion as to how things can be handled on her part.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

So, to understand you, a person can be told they can be arrested and subject to criminal prosecution based on what they MIGHT say

This is a fallacious assumption based on what I assume is a misinterpretation of the article.

Coulter is not under any threat of legal action over something she has not said yet. She was simply warned by the school that Canadian law prohibits hate speech. It was a fair warning, as Coulter is an infamous hate-speaker.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theone2000
reply to post by anon72

Well if she is promoting hatred against any identifiable group. I can see why she would get possible charges against her. Promoting hate is not against the law in the USA. But some times in some situations like the KKK promoting hate towed other races... I it feel should be against the law. It does no one any good.

Boy once again I say Hmmm. You sure seem to be all over ATS for your first day. I would hate to think anything funny was going on.

Sorry for going of subject I think this is totally wrong and the progressives are making a pure power grab right before our eyes hopefully we have something left when they are done. And just for the record I hate her but I think she should be able to say what she wants and if it hurts others feelings they can always turn her off.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

when she's in our country, she'll be required to abide by our laws. its one thing to voice her opinion, but if she does so in a hateful way, then she will be dealt with accordingly.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Sorry for going of subject I think this is totally wrong and the progressives are making a pure power grab right before our eyes hopefully we have something left when they are done.

Funny stuff.

(Progressivism in Canada has traditionally been associated with the Right wing - see: The Progressive Conservative Party of Canada)

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilishlyangelic23

when she's in our country, she'll be required to abide by our laws. its one thing to voice her opinion, but if she does so in a hateful way, then she will be dealt with accordingly.

I think you have missed my point I think the people have Canada have already sold their souls to the progressives. And they are grabbing for power all over this world all at once. Hitler and Stalin were also progressives. This will not end good.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Sorry for going of subject I think this is totally wrong and the progressives are making a pure power grab right before our eyes hopefully we have something left when they are done.

Funny stuff.

(Progressivism in Canada has traditionally been associated with the Right wing - see: The Progressive Conservative Party of Canada)

And I think you were making the point that I don't see progressives as conservatives you are wrong they will leach themselves to anyone. They are not for either party they are for themselves but if they come out of the closet we will see them for what they are so they hide. And when they show their true faces it will be to late. Just like in Germany in the 1930s.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

...and I told myself not to respond... but I have to on your two post.

You mentioned Palin and Coulter and what they may say. I find it very problematic you position yourself as one being fearful of what one may say instead of what they actually can/could do.

As far as when she gives her opinion, if she speaks hatefully, she'll be dealt with accordingly-one really has to ponder that statement and/or line of thought. If that is the way it is, you must have one heck of a lot of wifes and girlfriends locked up.

This is exactly why I posted this: DENY IGNORANCE.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

I think you have missed my point I think the people have Canada have already sold their souls to the progressives. And they are grabbing for power all over this world all at once. Hitler and Stalin were also progressives. This will not end good.

You and I can't seem to agree in any of these threads, can we? So you have just lumped Canada in with Hitler and Stalin power grabbing, knowing there are Canadians posting in this thread. I think I'll have to call you on trolling once again here.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

the only way that her visit to our country wont end well, is if she spouts hateful opinions in her speech. if she can manage to reign it in and be civil and within the freedom of speech laws in canada, she'll be fine. this is not about a canadian "grab for power" shes in OUR country. WE already HAVE the power here. we're not trying to limit her speeches in other countries...just in OUR country.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

the only way that her visit to our country wont end well, is if she spouts hateful opinions in her speech. if she can manage to reign it in and be civil and within the freedom of speech laws in canada, she'll be fine. this is not about a canadian "grab for power" shes in OUR country. WE already HAVE the power here. we're not trying to limit her speeches in other countries...just in OUR country.

Fair enough but do you agree that you should have free speech up in Canada? And if you don't think about this way who draws the line? And what happens when you fall on the other side of it. If you give them a inch ........... Free speech is a good thing and I guess that only when you have completely lost it do you realise the importance to some people.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

im not fearful of what she might say. neither with what Palin said/did. but this woman is of the opinion that she can come here to our country and say whatever the heck she wants, regardless of its content, and she cannot do that. maybe she is able to do that in her home country, but canada is not her home country. we have laws here that prohibit that type of behaviour. this is about her being required to be respectful of our country and its laws. just as i couldnt go to the US and say/do things that are against your laws just because i have the right to do it in my country.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theone2000
reply to post by anon72

Boy once again I say Hmmm. You sure seem to be all over ATS for your first day. I would hate to think anything funny was going on.

Sorry for going of subject I think this is totally wrong and the progressives are making a pure power grab right before our eyes hopefully we have something left when they are done. And just for the record I hate her but I think she should be able to say what she wants and if it hurts others feelings they can always turn her off.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Subjective Truth]
LOL, They should do something about it before it gets to the point of someone turning her off and throwing her in jail or something. Which I think was the warning to her. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join