It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New planet Corot-9b has Earth-like temperatures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

New planet Corot-9b has Earth-like temperatures

www.independent.co.uk

Corot-9b, as the planet is called, is one of more than 400 "exoplanets" found to be orbiting other stars, but it is the first one with a near-normal temperature range that can be studied as it moves across (or "transits") the sun it orbits. "This is a normal, temperate exoplanet just like dozens we already know, but this is the first whose properties we can study in depth," said Claire Moutou, one of the team of astronomers at the European Southern Observatory who made the discovery. "It is bound to become a Rosetta stone in exoplanet research."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.scientificblogging.com

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Hard to believe, for me, that this is only the first exoplanet discovered that is comparable to the planets within our solar system ... seems like that's saying a lot considering what seems like such a wide variance between Earth and its fellow planets.

It's exciting that Corot-9b, about the size of Jupiter, will, as one of the discoverers indicate, "become a Rosetta stone in exoplanet research."

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Evil, twisted scientists naming our chance of living on other worlds Carot-9b, more like carrot on a stick, namby!!

Evidently it's HAARP and Bluebook working together to create a stargate between here and there and this is just the beginning of discloure as enforced by our Grey overlords.

And now back to our regular programming.

-m0r

Nice find! It'll be interesting to see what the composition of such a planet is and see if it contains water too. Of course that's hoping that it's sun is about the same as ours and the sedentary levels are consistent with how our solar system came to be. Definitely worth keeping an eye on to see any parallels between what we already know - I hope to hear some nice theories on this planets geology.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Nice find! It'll be interesting to see what the composition of such a planet is and see if it contains water too. Of course that's hoping that it's sun is about the same as ours and the sedentary levels are consistent with how our solar system came to be. Definitely worth keeping an eye on to see any parallels between what we already know - I hope to hear some nice theories on this planets geology.

I think that it's probably a gas giant, since it's claimed to be about the same size as Jupiter. I recall reading somewhere that it's very rare for a planet that size to be solid.

top topics

join