It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again...UK TV show attacks video games. [Video]

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

You say games stop people from focusing on their work, yet seem to think playing sport wont? The kids in the park behind my house play football well into the night, whilst I stop gaming to do homework and watch television.

The internet is also addictive, television is also addictive, sport is also addictive, going out everynight with friends is addictive, books are addictive. See the trend emerging? There will always be SOMEthing to distract from learning, it is the attitude of people today, not the games that are doing the damage.

I'll spend more tiome reading a good book than playing a game, but I don't suppose you'll ban books to make sure I study hard.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
So we have a single gamer in a room full of daytime TV watching parents who haven't grown up in the generation that we have and have probably never played super mario in their lives, let alone MW2.

This generation has been exposed to far more violence than any generation before through film, TV, media reports on "out of control youths" and it ALL comes down to bad parenting.

Games have an age cirtificate for a reason, if you buy your 12 year old child GTA then that isn't the fault of the game makers, that's the parents choice.

Also LOL@Bulger referance, those children had parenting issues and were allowed to watch Childs Play, I severly doubt in '93 there were games like MW2 or GTA 4.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Wonderful!!!!!

I think the pro-gamer guy put everyone in their spot, contrary to the biased audience. A bunch of ignorant dips.

The first time I ever played a "violent" video game, I was lets see... 4 or 5?

NES's Guerrilla War, that escalated into everything from Mortal Combat to Grand Theft Auto 3, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty original series all the way up til today's games, CODMW2, GTA4, Crysis etc.

Have I ever felt the urge to grab a gun and go kill a bunch of people? Not really. Have I ever been violent? Hmm, well, I was kicked in the balls a child and I beat the kid up.....Justified? I'd believe so.

Have I ever committed heartless actions? Nope.

I've been playing violent video games my whole life, it hasn't ever affected me, more importantly I believe children are effected by the living environment they are raised in! Parents yelling at each other, bullies, stuff like that is what promotes violence, not video games.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

Average education at end of school has so much dropped in
the last decades that most employers putting those video kids to employ-
ment tests complain about those kids´mental capacities.

What the heck is going on, when a kid after 8 years of primary schooling
cannot in the majority of cases shown on tv answer the question :
how many square meters is 1.00 x 1.50, especially when trying to become
a professional carpenter ?

After years and many hours of video games per day they are unable to
distinguish between virtual and reality. They are forgetting how much fun
it can be to compete on a sportsground or to participate in social activities.

You're lying here for a start, good sir. Show me an 8 year old who wants to be a carpenter. Most want to be Fire Trucks or Astronaughts

I've been a gamer since I can remember. From the SNES and Sega Megadrive Right through to PS3 and Xbox360. I can distinguish between reality and fiction and even do martial arts and have a massive array of friends, my situation is no different from a large majority of people my age and younger.

I want you to show me the link between gaming and a decline in mental capacity. Actually if I remember correctly gaming from a young age helps INCREASE mental processes, such as hand eye co-ordination and puzzle solving.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

yea you know i find it funny that they believe such crap,
depending on the game and the player, i could half way believe it,
there are children that are extremely impressionable,
(a friend of mine stuck his finger in a light socket one time when he was a child to see if he'd light up because he saw it on an episode of tom and jerry)
and then we have our teens to adults, which are not so impressionable.

a friend and i actually had a talk about this subject before,
i play games with him on numerous occasions, usually FPS, or some sort of strategies, i think id probably agree with what he said, in a way, he said
"games keep me from doing violent things, in first person shooters i can kill stuff so i dont end up doing it in life"
he was joking, but i find that in a way it can be considered true.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Markz0rAlso LOL@Bulger referance, those children had parenting issues and were allowed to watch Childs Play, I severly doubt in '93 there were games like MW2 or GTA 4.

I thought that was funny too mentioning James Bulger's killers here. What they did had nothing to do with video games and only one thing was similar to a scene from Childs Play 3 where they got blue paint on the poor child they killed!

Originally posted by Revolution-2012I've been playing violent video games my whole life, it hasn't ever affected me, more importantly I believe children are effected by the living environment they are raised in! Parents yelling at each other, bullies, stuff like that is what promotes violence, not video games.

I believe this to be the case too. I've never been a violent person, but have played every game I could get my greasy mits on while growing up, from frogger and donky kong on my old BBC Micro, through to Mortal Kombat on the Megadrive and now GTA4 and Dead Space on the PC. Still don't have violent tendencies.

My nephew and niece however have very violent tendencies towards each other and their parents, yet they're not allowed to play violent games and don't watch scary or violent films. The most violent game they play is Burnout Paradise on the PS3!
My nephew who will be 17 next month has only just watched his first 18 certificate film (Predator if you were wondering)

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
makes me laugh that older guy even admitted he never plays games, so how does he know.

my favorite games are grand theft auto and destroy all humans but im not going around in my car running people over, or running around a police station with a dildo.
ive played computer games since i was a child and love them.

these people need to wake up.
if the game is a 18 or 15 then dont buy it for your pre pubesant child, then go bitching because they get violent.
there are plenty of games out there that are not violent.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I can't wait to play Red Dead Redemption and be a violent cowboy in the wild west.

Something I could never do now in the real world haha.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I know it's been almost 2 years. But since I just came across the video again this time with a little commentary and the OP video is gone. I thought I might aswell bump this thread with the video for those who haven't seen how ridiculous this is lol.

edit on 12-2-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Oh the Irony.

Isn't television just as bad as video games ?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

OFC violent games promote violence. We cannot see the woods from the trees. It is the same as violent tv. It normalises behaviour that is abnormal to us as human. Your back brain cannot tell that its a video game it sees no difference between real life and make belief and that is scientifically proven.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Anything that comes from Kelvin Mckenzie is diametrically opposed to the truth. He's a horrible, lying sh1thouse and I'll join the millions of other dancers on his grave when this world is free of him.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Woah really? I don't know much about him. But after googling him he kinda reminds me of Bill o'reilly haha.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Try Hillsborough +Kelvin McKenzie if those links haven't come up yet.
He's utter filth and the world will be a much better place when his bloated corpse is rotting away.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join