It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2meter ham band

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
is the 2meter ham band the most used ham band? ive just got a hand held with 2m 6m 70 cms band on it. www.radioworld.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If you are asking a question like that it implies that you do not have a Technician or other amateur license.

If you are using a 2 meter transceiver you should have a license.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
i am getting there to get one. am not going to use the hand held unit i have got my stuff.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rikgrimsby

It sure is the most popular, but this is not always a good thing especially when the skip is booming.

regardless of where you go, i agree with Phage, you should pass your Amateur radio License first. (although I think it may be legal to own and listen, but not send out signals)

the other hams will soon guess you don't have a license pretty quickly.

g

[edit on 21-3-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Good on ya. It's not too tough nowadays.

The 2 meter band, being VHF, is only good for line of sight communications. Various ham organizations operate repeater stations which effectively increase the range but for the most part it is only used for local contacts. The exception is during periods of geomagnetic activity which can increase the amount of reflection by the ionosphere.

[edit on 3/21/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
well i can play with it but noway am i going to speal on it yet. i like cbs and scnners and sw radios so why shouldnt i go to ham radio ? am looking forward to it all

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

It's great fun. I'm studying at the moment to sit my Ham test as well. Was on the CB's for years back in Scotland.

Have got albums full of QSL cards from all over the world. It's a great hobby with lots of very nice people on there.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
yeh i have a cb in car and a roberts sw radio... its a great hobbie

top topics

join