It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe the US and Canada should be 1 country

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

while i dont think it would work i do think its a noble idea why are people so afraid of a one world government we as a species some day will have to take this step if we want to truly realize our potential as a species done correctly it could be an end to poverty and war While i realize it has the potential to be disastrous if done incorrectly but i have faith in human innovation that we could create a just and honorable system of government that would represent everyone not just the rich We are all human why cant we stop killing each other and work together?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Okey!

Sorry about last post,didnt meen anything?But i can like the idea oneworld,but i dont like this the cultures is destroyed and ruined?this is not the culture if you get exotic food next to MC?This is my opinion only!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Canadians would NEVER willingly want to become part of the US, or even share an identity with the US.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm all for this, as long as I can donate money to the 'Canadian Cause' that would follow such an annexation. I wonder how much it would cost to plant a bomb in a Florida McDonalds? Or maybe a bomb in a shopping mall somewhere?

What's that? I shouldn't be stirring the pot from on the other side of the Ocean, that it's nothing to do with me as I don't live there? Never stopped a lot of Americans in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwoPhish
I didn't even read your OP but, your wish will be granted whether we like it or not.

Oh......the next couple of years are going to be very difficult and very enlightening too! Stay tuned.

Thank you oh great and prophetic TwoPhish, please further enlighten us with your wisdom from your magical, swirling crystal ball! And good job posting in threads when your not reading the OP.

This site is going down hill.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

That's very kind of you to invite us to your barbecue, but on behalf of my countrymen and women, I'd like to respectfully decline.

We are different from you...our culture, our government, our values...in many, many ways. You'd have to be standing on this side of the for a while fence to get it.

I doubt you would have a whole lot of understanding for our special relationship with our French cousins, as well as the Brits. Yours is not a country where a female, Black, Francophone Haitian could become head of state. We have the cultural mosaic, you have the melting pot.

We are linked in a lot of ways, but trust me, it ain't gonna work out. Strong fences make for good neighbours...and we even spell it differently. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by Misoir
All I am saying is that I would like to see what the founding fathers wanted finished. A united North American continent. If it happens that's great, if it doesn't that's fine.

I would just like to see the founding fathers dream completed, without any unions. Just 1 federal government and 63 states. And it be at the will of the people, not the governments.

If you look at your history, you'll see that the idea is called "Manifest Destiny", and I believe we responded way back in 1812. Sorry about burning down the White House, but Fog of War and all that...

[edit on 21-3-2010 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by Misoir

That's very kind of you to invite us to your barbecue, but on behalf of my countrymen and women, I'd like to respectfully decline.

Reading this thread, I'm under the impression that you, as Canadians, aren't just invited to the barbecue, but you are the barbecue. I've yet to see how Canadians are meant to benefit from the OP's proposal but quite I've seen lot as to what they'd lose.

I'm genuinely surprised at the OP's premise that the USA and Canada are similar. As an observer with a telescope on the other side of the Atlantic, other than a border and a language (and even that isn't necessarily shared due to our Québécois amis) there's not really that much in common at all.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I think this idea of similarity between the two people is a common American misconception. The culture flow tends to be predominately one-sided, so they aren't exposed to our differences besides knowing we have some strange thing called universal health care, cold winters and the Queen. We, on the other hand, are constantly bombarded with American culture so it is very easy for us to note the differences.

It was interesting when it was said that we should unite to get Britian out of North America, like Britian has some power over us. First, our Queen is the Queen of Canada, not the Queen of Britain. Semantics yes, but an important difference. Secondly, Canada was basically founded by people loyal to the Queen and that's where all the American loyalists ran after the little family squabble down south. This had a tremendous influence on the foundation of our country and could possibly mark the beginning of the divergence between the two cultures.

I would like to say this thread has given me an excellent perspective about how the people in Quebec might feel threatened by the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Reading this thread, I'm under the impression that you, as Canadians, aren't just invited to the barbecue, but you are the barbecue. I've yet to see how Canadians are meant to benefit from the OP's proposal but quite I've seen lot as to what they'd lose.

Shhhh...I'm just being polite about it. Wait until our beer enters the equation, then they'll really start to get pushy! Don't even mention that there are cafes in Toronto where you can spark one up without fear of getting popped...the cops just don't care as long as the liquor laws aren't violated. You won't get that south of the border.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

It was interesting when it was said that we should unite to get Britian out of North America, like Britian has some power over us. First, our Queen is the Queen of Canada, not the Queen of Britain. Semantics yes, but an important difference. Secondly, Canada was basically founded by people loyal to the Queen and that's where all the American loyalists ran after the little family squabble down south. This had a tremendous influence on the foundation of our country and could possibly mark the beginning of the divergence between the two cultures.

I would like to say this thread has given me an excellent perspective about how the people in Quebec might feel threatened by the rest of us.

To be honest, it was the comment about Britain that caused me to write my first post on this thread. What should be remembered though is that when they say 'Brits and Britain', many Americans tend to mean 'English and England'. Scots and Welsh = good, England and English = bad.

Also, I think something else that many Americans just don't get - understandably, given the way that their take on history is so engrained and informs their present culture - is the Queen and royalty generally. It's been fairly apparent reading threads on here over the years that their understanding of our monarchy is based on some form of royalty that now only exists in history books or fairy tales. I think this is the fevered and fertile ground that allows so many threads as to how Queen Elizabeth owns us all, can pass any rule or decree she pleases and can kill commoners with shotguns whilst riding a Golden Chariot throughout Olde London Towne.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I have no problem with the English and the Welch. Good people.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I respectfully reject the offer. For a million reasons. Here are but a few :

I travel a lot,sometimes I have a little Canadian flag on my backpack. Everyone is happy to see me. Not so with your fellow countrymen. I don’t pass judgment; this is just what I see.

I take our crappy healthcare system everyday over what you have. Where I live, people stop on the street to help someone who fainted. And I live in one of the 3 major cities. I believe that the healthcare is a right, not a privilege. As long as I have money to pay, I’ll pay our high taxes to keep it going for everyone.

I hate fundamentalism and racism. I don’t see much of neither one of these around me. I have no idea why, but I am extremely happy it’s like that.

We say “you’re welcome” and “thank you” a lot.
We have Tim Hortons.
We don’t care much for guns.
We are probably just a “village” but I am fine with that. I like to stay in this village just the way it is.

As friends, yup, I like you, but if I’ll be asked, I’ll say no to a union.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

I have no problem with the English and the Welch. Good people.

You seem to have a problem with the British though. You've raised that point in several posts in this thread. This being a particularly pertinent post:

The main reason for uniting Canada and the US ever since the 19th century was to get the British out of North America.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
As a Canadian, I have to agree with Queen Grey on this topic.
Our political system is entirely different than America's. Although we share the longest undefended border in the world, there is no way in hell that we should join with the US. Well, let me correct that. America can have the costly problem of support to the East Coast and take ove the annoyance that is Quebec. Most of us agree that these provinces are sucking the life out of our Treasury. Ontario and the West are fine as they are.

Best regards,
Cynic

You are one ignorant poster. The East cost is a costly problem? Wake the hell up.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Why on earth would Canada want to even consider becoming part of the US? What does the US bring to the table? A trillion doallr debt, complete political tyrants, water shortages, terrible economy, mass unemployment.
The US would definitely benefit from this and Canada would gain absolutely nothing. Sorry, but as a Canuck I want no part of becoming a US state. We have nothing to gain by it and everything to lose. We have abundant natural resources, low unemployment, a stable economy, the most stable banking system in the world. I would like to see our politicans thrown out on their ear as well, but they are not as certifiably insane as the US political system. The US already has a sweetheart of a deal with Canada as far as oil and natural resources.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
No way.

You guys tried that in 1812.

It didn't work out too well.

I think I can speak on behalf of most Canadians by saying I believe your idea about joining our two nations is preposterous.

No, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!

PS You still get a S&F

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You know what drew me to this thread? When I wrote my Social 30 diploma the essay question for the last essay was "should america and canadian become one country" Now if i still had that essay id post it but it was lost in the move.

Safe to say most of the topics of race,equality,economy i raised in that essay were similiar to whats on this thread.

Now besides the fact i got 92% does this raise any concerns for anyone?? Asking kids in highschool questions like this. I smell some social conditioning going on. Whoevers pushing for this has some friends in the education system here in Alberta.

Peace

West coast fo eva

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

No.

This.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Everyone hates us.

I am in America and my best friend is from Canada. I wouldn't mind at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join