It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe the US and Canada should be 1 country

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm not going to flip out
but I will mention that the cultural differences between the two countries would make for a very difficult transition.

Some of the more problematic issues - guns, Quebec, BC's number one cash crop and the attitudes surrounding it's usage, religion, ketchup chips, fishing rights, type of government, privacy issues and First Nations.

The bottom line is that if it came down to a referendum, this would be a no go. The only way Canada will become a part of the US is against the will of the people.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by Duzey]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
All I am saying is that I would like to see what the founding fathers wanted finished. A united North American continent. If it happens that's great, if it doesn't that's fine.

I would just like to see the founding fathers dream completed, without any unions. Just 1 federal government and 63 states. And it be at the will of the people, not the governments.

What about Canada's founding fathers?

Did you ever stop to think beyond what YOUR leaders wanted?

We also had a dream, my friend, and it wasn't to take over North America, it was to strive in peace and prosperty in a wonderful country.

We have that now.

Edit To Add: Sorry if I come off a little rude, it's not my intent, it's a topic very close to my heart and I tend to speak passionately about it.

~Keeper

[edit on 3/21/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

All I am saying is that I would like to see what the founding fathers wanted finished. A united North American continent. If it happens that's great, if it doesn't that's fine.

I would just like to see the founding fathers dream completed, without any unions. Just 1 federal government and 63 states. And it be at the will of the people, not the governments.

Ok so do you think that what this country has become is what they wanted? I highly doubt it. What one wants and one gets is usually not the case. This country is nothing like they wanted. How would having 63 states make their "dream" complete? Also what about the dreams of the Canadian founders?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Look dude. Your founding fathers logic was as flawed as yours. We defeated you in 1812 and will do it again if necessary!!

Please remain on your side of the 49th parallel. OK??

My name is Cynic, and I AM Canadian!

[edit on 21-3-2010 by Cynic]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What I think we need to do is scrap everything and start over.

I don't think people are thinking of this the same way I am, so let me try and make it as clear as possible.

I do not want Canada to lose their culture, I don't want the US to either. I don't see it as Canada becoming America, but more like the US and Canada becoming America. I think if our 2 countries became 1 everything would work better. We would just be 1 country, the same foreign and domestic policies; but we would need more states rights so that Republicans can't take away Canadian health care, etc...

It's about 1 people, 1 country, 1 dream. And that dream is freedom, happiness and prosperity. I am sorry if I can't be any clearer so as to not sound ignorant, but I hope you understand what I mean.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Respectfully - No Thanks. We have pretty much all your rights, and then some. The one the americans would not like is our inability to readily walk out of a Wal-mart with a pistol. Which, in all honesty, extends my life expectancy. Don't get me wrong, I like weapons like any other red blooded american, but as a Canadian, I am able to walk several blocks to the drug store at 3 a.m. without having to worry about being mowed down. And I am quite satisfied with, as americans put it, 'fooling ourselves with free health care' system.

[edit on 3/21/2010 by hhcore]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Do you work for the Control-agency of Foreign Resources?

If not, you should.

www.cfr.org

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
Do you work for the Control-agency of Foreign Resources?

If not, you should.

www.cfr.org

Why do you say I should work for them?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Respectully,

Your dreams are quite possibly not the same as our dreams and you are only seeing things from your perspective. With the vast difference in population, we would get the short end of every stick in the bundle.

US motto - Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Canada motto - Peace, order and good government.

I can see those two philosophies butting heads on a frequent basis.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Meh, I think it should be the other way around, with the US becoming part of Canada. Except maybe changing the flag to a different leaf.. one popular in BC
Okay maybe that won't float, but yeah. United States of Canada anyone?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

What? Canada never fought Britain in 1812, the European colonies revolted. Canadian soldiers still wore red coats all the up till 1875. US founding fathers were Brits, if we didnt win the battle of qubec you would all speak French.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisoirWhy do you say I should work for them?

Because they share your view, and my sarcasm is sharp lately.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

I don't want it to happen from anyones point of view, neither American nor Canadian. It should be the people's point of view, and if they don't want to do it then it should not be done. But if it were to be done I don't see why it has to be that Canadians lose when it should not be well Canadians lose and Americans win because there are more of them. It should be that we are all 'Americans' not the US verion of American but the people of north america. We should be 1, and if that is not possible I understand but it is just a dream of mine.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganja
Meh, I think it should be the other way around, with the US becoming part of Canada. Except maybe changing the flag to a different leaf.. one popular in BC

I don't think the US should become Canada either. It should not be about Canada becoming the US or the US becoming Canada, it should be the US and Canada becoming a new United States of America.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

What I think we need to do is scrap everything and start over.

I don't think people are thinking of this the same way I am, so let me try and make it as clear as possible.

I do not want Canada to lose their culture, I don't want the US to either. I don't see it as Canada becoming America, but more like the US and Canada becoming America. I think if our 2 countries became 1 everything would work better. We would just be 1 country, the same foreign and domestic policies; but we would need more states rights so that Republicans can't take away Canadian health care, etc...

It's about 1 people, 1 country, 1 dream. And that dream is freedom, happiness and prosperity. I am sorry if I can't be any clearer so as to not sound ignorant, but I hope you understand what I mean.

I get Misoir, it's a very noble dream and your quite the peace keeper in that regard. There's nothing wrong with what you have stated, perhaps poorly worded in your OP but this makes perfect sense.

It's just the fact that after 200 plus years of being who we are as citizens of two countries that are so vastly different in virutally every aspect thinkable, it would just be a giant mess.

Perhaps in a few hundred years when we realize that drawing imaginary lines in the sand is stupid, which I share the opinion, then perhaps we can move towards to being more unified.

Good on you for being a decent human being and thinking of the overall versus just the needs of the majority.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Canadian's enjoy a "best freind" relationship with the US , That's about as

close as we want to get though.

Although most American's think they are living in the best country in the

world, people outside the US know this to be false.

Canadian's would have to accept a lower quality of life , a 37th ranked

Heath Care system, and Political Leader's that dont give a flying flip

about them.

No Thanks , I would rather re-join with England again , or Russia.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I can think of one group of Canadians that would lose - the LGBT community.

Gay marriage is legal in all provinces and recogized by the feds. Us Canucks don't go for that 'legal some states and not in others' stuff, so do you think the southern states would back off on that one?

It's a very complex issue and isn't as easy as it first sounds. It's like when we talk about kicking out Quebec (just an example Quebec folks
), it's an easy thing to say but the reality would be a nightmare.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by Duzey]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganja

I don't think the US should become Canada either. It should not be about Canada becoming the US or the US becoming Canada, it should be the US and Canada becoming a new United States of America.

Are you talking about the proposed NAU?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Well for the LGBT community if we had states rights like we do then every Canadian 'state' would have gay marriage and their own rights for their citizens.

Don't forget that you would have equal say in the political matters, so which party do you think would be larger? The Liberal Party or the Conservative Party?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Did you read all of my posts?

No I do not want a political union between the two countries, just 1 country. Not a Canadian country and not an American country, just 1 country. There is no need for an NAU.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join