It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality, Would you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If you could be immortal. Meaning you could live forever in this releam, Would you?

Be Immune to harm, Damage, Sickness, Disease. Unrestrained by oxygen, Physical limitation and death. You could do anything (I.e: Jump off a mountain, And simply get up and walk away, Stand in the center of a nuclear explosion and be able to laugh). Would you?

Or would the pain of seeing your family age and die, The friends you make, Suffer, Out weigh the personal benefit?

Would it become boring, And make you long for nothing but to taste eternal silence?

I've often thought of this myself, And I'm sure others have, Share you thoughts and ideas on the matter!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
No, i think alot of us would be tired of just one life on here.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I would, in a heart beat.

I would love to be immortal; all the books I could read, all the things I could learn... everything I could accomplish.

My wife and I have had this discussion; she herself can't believe I'd be willing to see her and our children die just so I could learn more... but I would always respond back by saying just imagine everything you don't know, everything you could see.

[edit on 2010/3/21 by The Soothsayer]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Well if nothing can hurt me and I mean nothing. Why not. I can travel the universe. Go to every planet imaginable. If you are immortal you are a god among men. Why wouldn’t I

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

I agree with you personally. I don't think I would ever grow tired of "this". Mainly because a life time, Hell even a hundred life time's isn't enough time to discover half the things I want to.

Plus the world is constantly learning new things, So even if at some point I knew EVERYTHING, There would still be room to learn.

I've had this discussion with my brother before, And he always brings up the point "What would you do after the Earth ceases to exist". My innocent answer has always been "explore the universe!" Would I be willing to trade in my family and friends for the chance to see things no human has ever seen? Yes.

But don't get it twisted, I'm not evil. I'm a realist. My family and friends will die eventually, As I currently will as well. That's nature. I don't believe it's selfish to want to live forever, If it's only natural to die.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by spaceman16

Absolutely i would, no hesitation whatsoever.

Think of the pain of your family seeing you getting old and dying. I'd love the chance to be around when my family is old. Ideally of course, they'd all come along for the ride.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Well if nothing can hurt me and I mean nothing. Why not. I can travel the universe. Go to every planet imaginable. If you are immortal you are a god among men. Why wouldn’t I

I suppose the counter argument, Is that you still hold emotion. And where as things can't actually hurt you physically, They can mentally.

You'd have to live with seeing millions of people you care about die. (I say millions, Under the assumption you live long enough to meet that many). I know the stress of just having a parent pass is emotionally destroying, So living with that feeling multiplied into the milliions, Would be hard to do for alot of people.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I enjoy your outlook! The counter of your family and children seeing YOU age, has never crossed my mind in thinking this. Hmm. Gives me something to think about =)

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
No. I couldn't imagine doing that. Unless there was a way to travel off this planet, I'm not interested.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I already am.

Reincarnation is for amateurs.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I want immortality, but I want to be able to die if I get physical harm. Not the godlike immortality. I don't want to live forever and be stuck on a rock when Earth ends, and is like Mars.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Meaning you could live forever in this realm

I like that you said that. Most people would probably respond "we are already immortal". And the other would be scared of death because they arent immortal.

Ive often thought about it. The Count de Saint-Germain apparently discovered the elixir of immortalitly. Hes looked at more as a Charlatan then a Jesus figure however though.

My oppinion is that you would become detached from society. Think about it, Death is such a big thing for alot of people. We are naturally scared of the unknown, but if you could avoid one of the most important times in life, well... I think I would go crazy. I already consider myself somewhat detached from society (live on a farm out in the booneys) but that would cut the cake. I would no longer feel human, now if I could live a extra 100 years, you got yourself a deal!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
NO. The sooner I am dead and not having to deal with this hellhole of a planet, the better.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Yeah but if you are immortal, you could start working your whole life in making inventions that can make people live longer and maybe even reverse the aging process. Remember we can with an eternity. Also if we are immortal after a long time, there is a possibility we will become accustomed to accepting people dying around us, because it has become such a natural things for hundreds of thousands of years.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

Yeah but if you are immortal, you could start working your whole life in making inventions that can make people live longer and maybe even reverse the aging process. Remember we can with an eternity. Also if we are immortal after a long time, there is a possibility we will become accustomed to accepting people dying around us, because it has become such a natural things for hundreds of thousands of years.

This is very true, But would you want others to be immortal with you? If all things were immortal you have two options. World peace, YAY! Or A race to find some sort of way to kill the other guy, Of Which I would assume would be insanely painful and drawn out.

As far as becoming accustomed to people dying, I suppose you are right. But would you want to be 100 percent okay with people dying? I don't think I would feel human any more if I was okay with it. But on the other hand, If I was immortal I guess I wouldnt really be human anyway.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Oh, yes.

I would live forever, even if it was just my cut-off head, sitting on a shelf.

I am easily amused...and I expect I will always be curious about whatever the hell is going to happen next...

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Perhaps you could not be killed, but you could be restrained. Once TPTB discovered your immortality, you would be captured and spend eons being studied in labs by generations of military scientists trying to discover your secret. Still sound fun?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think the old saying goes:
"I dont want to live forever, but I dont want to be dead forever either".

I think if I found myself immortal, the first thing I would invent would be the matrix style virtual reality system and spend endless lifetimes wiping out my memory to live in the system, only to remember once I die who I am...then go back in after awhile under a different set of circumstances.

Also, it would be key to find out how to spread this "gift" to others so I am not alone.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
you cant be living if living isnt of truth, so since others are dying your immortality mean hells, only truth path is the right one

to me even when i use to think very young about living willing, it always came across my mind as perhaps i would like it after a lot of conditions, first that life is a positive truth certainty of conscious existence, second that it has something to do with me as conscious existing to feel concerned in anyway of that life certainty truth
and third is the perhaps i have to feel willing myself otherwise it wont be my life state reality

thta is why i know that i love to die really but really to nothing and i understand very well how i mean to stop the humiliating agressions on true present ones

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Yes! Think of all the wrong doing you can fix of humanity if you are immortal. TPTB, NWO, war on terror all can be fixed by me by first learning the situation and then apply the knowledge of my enemies. I would be remember forever since I am eternal. No suffering for humanity if you can gain centuries of knowledge and cure cancer, make aids a thing of the past and finally have stability once and for all. The possiblilites are endless and just think\ing about it makes me froth in the mouth
. In seriousness though it would be a price worth paying if immortality can be achieved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join