It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it paranormal, or are we seeing what we want to believe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Hi guys! Here’s another take on the classic psychological we see what we want to see idea.

Basically, a lot of people will claim the paranormal to be in our heads, which to be honest, most of it probably is. But I’m not 100% that every single piece of phenomena experienced is definitely NOT paranormal.
After all, isn’t the essential idea of ‘paranormal’ something outside of normal? Something that can’t be explained? And no matter what anyone says, I’m pretty sure there are things that can’t be explained these days.

Now, I’m not gonna go down the route of ‘I’ve seen things!’ even though I have, because that’s almost always attention-seeking behaviour and it makes people doubt what you say, I know that, I’ve read those types of thread and shook my head. So lets stick with the facts and do a couple of picture shows.
I’m staying away from orbs here… as orbs, even though I’ve seen some impressive ones in my investigative time, can be put down to anything, and they tend not to impress people at all. So we’re going for figures and faces.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17d95be27f6e.jpg[/atsimg]
(BIG URL files.abovetopsecret.com...)

This is a picture I took at a site renowned for its paranormal activity, I’ll post the link underneath too as I’m not sure how well this will come out. I’ve sent it to a lot of people, and a lot of people can see the ‘face’ in the window, looking out. Now, I’m gonna be perfectly honest with you all here; I didn’t notice this first time I looked at it. Well, I did, but I didn’t wanna jump to conclusions as I didn’t want to be later disappointed. All I can say is there was definitely no one in that window – it was about 9pm at night, and at least 2 other people were looking at the window when I took it, including me, and there was no one there.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/660d83a5df08.jpg[/atsimg]

What about now when I’ve wrote on it, pointing to the obvious features, does this make you see it clearer? Is this what you were seeing in the first place?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d53a3541d0ca.jpg[/atsimg]

I’ve taken another picture, in daylight admittedly, and I didn’t line it up right either and it didn’t come out anywhere near the same as that one did.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a88198de585b.jpg[/atsimg]

So I’m not now claiming this is a ghost, because I don’t have a clue what it is. But all I’m saying is I can’t explain what it is.

Fair enough, this was at a paranormal site, and I was looking for activity – so that’s what I’m seeing. The guy I sent it too still hasn’t got back on me to verify it, so I’m probably never gonna know. And even then, can you trust these guys? If he says it’s a ghost, people are gonna go on his ghost tour. He’s then gonna make money… vicious circle really.

Now what about this photo?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28716c208346.jpg[/atsimg]

What do you see in the door? If I tell you this is taken in a house renowned for it’s paranormal activity, can you see the face in the window? What does it make? How does it make you feel?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a88239aafba3.jpg[/atsimg]

Now if I change my stance, and say, it isn’t taken in a house renowned for paranormal activity, and that it’s just a trick of the light, then what do you see? Do you just see a smudge of the flash in the window? A reflection?

What about this light anomaly?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0cd0cdee9c61.jpg[/atsimg]

I have absolutely no idea how this happened when I was taking the photograph. But if I said this was in an area known for its paranormal activity, would you see it differently to if it was in my back garden where nothing weird has ever happened?

I’m not gonna say right away what I think these photos are as I’d just like to see everyone’s opinions on what I’ve posted, see how you all think while looking at things in different ways. Tell me if you think it’s paranormal or not. Tell me what you believe when you look at it thinking it is something paranormal, vs thinking it’s just nothing. And then next time you look at a photo YOU think is paranormal apply that logic before you reach your conclusion.

Those who believe will always believe, those who don’t believe won’t ever believe. And we’ve gotta be careful of that. I see a lot of bashing on ATS – especially on the subject of people’s beliefs. You see way too many people who’ll believe everything put in front of them, and an equal amount of people who won’t believe anything – even if they see it with their own eyes.

I’m just trying to put across my point of view, and my point of view is this: I really don’t know.

There’s nothing wrong with being unsure, in fact it’s one of the best views we have – because if you don’t know, you can change your mind. You don’t have to admit you’re wrong, as you weren’t, and you then take in evidence much better to reach your conclusion. At the end of the day, we’re all in here to ‘Deny Ignorance’.

So yeah, that’s my little rant over. Hope you’ve enjoyed the thread and thanks for reading!

Ay x

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think there are moments when we vibrate in the 4th or even 5th dimension and I believe it's happening more and more.
And perhaps it is at that moment, we catch a glimpse of what's been dubed, paranormal activities.

It is almost science-fact that our souls don't die. Something keeps keeping on (engery) after the body ceases to function.
So perhaps this 'soul-energy' is able to leave our 3rd dimensional world (that the body helped to confine) and it transgresses back to it's original state that only can be seen/felt and acknowledge when in its higher vibrational field (which we; body-toting Humans aren't always privy to experience).

I'm just sayin'................

[edit on 21-3-2010 by TwoPhish]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If beleiving was seeing I would have seen something by now, the closest I got was a flying humanoid which I didn't beleive in until I saw it so maybe, not beleiving is actually seeing?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, Everything is the way we precieve it to be. Without preception, What is anything?

If I say I see a rabbit in the clouds, That isn't to say there is an actual rabbit there. But the other hand, Who's to say something paranormal didn't put that cloud there?

The world isn't what everything seems to think it is. Simply because we can see something hardly means that that is what is existing. Or does it? What is existance, outside of preception? Nothing. If we couldn't see colors, We would assume the world around us was colorless. Because we know no different.

Select animals see in Infrared, Meaning they use heat signatures to distinguish reality. We don't see that way, But to that animal THAT IS the way the world is. Who's to say they aren't seeing the true nature of the world, And we are seeing a made up verison because our brains are different.

IF you see a ghost, Then you see a ghost. You can't aruge for or against that. It's simply what you see. IF I Don't see a ghost, That doesn't mean that I'm right and youre wrong, That means we see two different things.

I think we as humans place our preception of reality on a grand pedestool, And we take it for the only truth of what reality actually is. When in reality, We only see what our bodies are designed to see. Yes we can develop machines and technology to allow us to see other ways, But as easily as it is to do so, It is just as easy to not do so.

Meaning that there could be another way to see the world, That we aren't aware of yet. This other way could be a paranomal releam. As far as we know, There are no animals that see in this "paranomal releam", So we have no way to creating a machine that can do so. Far too many times do we assume that things don't exist simply because we havent found a way to prove them.

So back to the topic, Yes, We see what we want to see, Because our brains are designed (through evolution or for some, Through intellegient design) to see the world that way.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwoPhish
I think there are moments when we vibrate in the 4th or even 5th dimension and I believe it's happening more and more.
And perhaps it is at that moment, we catch a glimpse of what's been dubed, paranormal activities.

It is almost science-fact that our souls don't die. Something keeps keeping on (engery) after the body ceases to function.
So perhaps this 'soul-energy' is able to leave our 3rd dimensional world (that the body helped to confine) and it transgresses back to it's original state that only can be seen/felt and acknowledge when in its higher vibrational field (which we; body-toting Humans aren't always privy to experience).

I'm just sayin'................

[edit on 21-3-2010 by TwoPhish]

So you're saying we are like a biological machine that is used to trap a soul in ourselves that keeps us anchored to the 3rd dimension? Would that explain the sounds of people astral projecting or having an OBE? Very interesting theory.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Well I think the only problem with this, Would be the classic argument used in so many abortion debates.

At what point does the soul enter the body? If we are nothing more than capsules for the soul, Then the soul has always been in existance, And must at some point enter it's shell.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceman16
reply to post by Phlynx

Well I think the only problem with this, Would be the classic argument used in so many abortion debates.

At what point does the soul enter the body? If we are nothing more than capsules for the soul, Then the soul has always been in existance, And must at some point enter it's shell.

Maybe the beings of the higher dimensions "insert" us almost like a virtual reality.

I'm beginning to understand these threads going on about life being a giant video game, or life being the matrix.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Here is a thread I made on some photos I took....

Enjoy....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

reply to post by Phlynx

Maybe the beings of the higher dimensions "insert" us almost like a virtual reality.

I'm beginning to understand these threads going on about life being a giant video game, or life being the matrix.

If this reality is a continious one, Why can't we remember the past ones? Unless you're trying to argue a "Being John Malkovich" sort of scenario. In which our "souls" are not exactly attached to this body, Only our conscious is. Meaning that there is literally something living inside us, That travels to another host once this one dies.

Which is kind of freaky to think about, And sort of depressing for me.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

reply to post by Phlynx

If this reality is a continious one, Why can't we remember the past ones? Unless you're trying to argue a "Being John Malkovich" sort of scenario. In which our "souls" are not exactly attached to this body, Only our conscious is. Meaning that there is literally something living inside us, That travels to another host once this one dies.

Which is kind of freaky to think about, And sort of depressing for me.

I don't know honestly, I've just been brainstorming all of this.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Interesting Thread ..I gives you many stars*******************
Nahhhh Mate I believe in ghosts just as I believe in life. I haven’t read yer whole list of comments because after reading a few it was not enough to change my bloody mind. These strange apparitions do exist I have some pictures of my own. The strange ones are in some very old photos of family photos from the 1879 era, and then I have some from 1902. Once more I will leave you with my thoughts.
If in fact these are just a fiction of our minds as people say then why are there so many of them?
These apparitions in many different forms….. I call them the smoke people haha my name for them.

NSG52

[edit on 22-3-2010 by NorthStargal52]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NorthStargal52

Nah, nah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm not trying to prove that they are, or aren't ghosts. I'm just trying to show how if you believe, you're always gonna - like you are!

Maybe certainty gets stronger with age? You never know. Maybe in 10 years time I won't be saying 'I don't know' anymore, I'll be saying "YES" or "NO"

It was just something I'd contemplated, so I started the thread!

thanks for the responses guys

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If you've experienced something clearly out of the ordinary chances are it has affected your perceptions and will possibly be more open-minded when others share similar stories.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

I have absolutely no idea how this happened when I was taking the photograph. But if I said this was in an area known for its paranormal activity, would you see it differently to if it was in my back garden where nothing weird has ever happened?

Well personally I think that in alot of if not most paranormal cases, they are only cases not because of an actual unexplainable experience but because of the human influence that is involved.

So let’s say for example a person can walk through an open area such as a local wood that they walk through almost every day, but when that person hears about an incident that occurred there a while ago and as a result of that incident they have reason to believe that the location may now be haunted.

So because of this the story has now suddenly changed, walking through that particular area which was perfectly fine beforehand is now completely different.

But when you think about it, it really is different for absolutely no reason what so ever, it has nothing to do with their actually being a spirit or a ghost there but it's different because of the human influence that is and always will be present in those types of paranormal cases.

And that is why I try and remain skeptical when dealing with paranormal locations or hearing about paranormal stories because eliminating that factor as best as you can will only benefit you and help you make your own mind up about what is happening.

Although please don’t get me wrong I 100% believe in ghosts (and that is because of my own unexplained experiences) and I 100% believe in the fact that people do seem to experience something completely unexplainable every day.

But It’s just so important to remain skeptical and try and find out exactly what the incident was before just pinning it down to a paranormal experience and I believe this because of the reason I said above and also because most cases can be so easily explained but when it's happening to you if becomes so much more difficult.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Oh I know what you mean thats a relly great Idea... I didnt know if she wanted to her our stories in this thread. But I had one when I was just young as a fact i have had about 5 or 6 of them and from the ages of 7 to 12 then they stopped. and then after that it wasnt til i was in my 20's had like 3 in this one house and i didnt stay in that house. then again in my 20's in a college room. then no more again until later so yeah it has been on and off.. to tell you the truth I dont like it that i can see these things it bothers me. I am not afraid but it's just the fact that that its happened. The one when i was 13 was in my girlfriends house we were both sitting in her living room and just the two of us just sittin on the floor or laying watching tv. well they had this rocking chair in the living room and well we wernt paying attention till I looked over towards the front window and thats were the chair was well it was rocking all by it self my girl friend seen it too. how weird was that. So why these things happen I wish someone would tell me and yes I have asked and have been told but still it's just spooky....

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
We naturally look for familiar things, such as faces. Those pictures you posted can easily be shown as paranormal when they are likely tricks of the mind and light/shadow play. Orbs can be anything, usually dust.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The adage you're getting mixed up about is "WE ONLY SEE WHAT WE BELIEVE IS POSSIBLE". So, according to this adage, persons who are not able to understand the higher dimensionality of the Cosmos, are thus not going to be disturbed by the higher dimensionality of the Cosmos. However, those who do understand the higher dimensionality of the Cosmos, are thus more likely to experience the higher dimensionality of the Cosmos. Just because one is not able to see and hear and touch the object or person, does not mean that others cannot see and hear and touch the object or person. Look long enough and one might also be able to see and hear and touch the object or person, even though to begin with the object or person was invisible to your perception of reality. In my comprehension of the Cosmos, I believe it to be the case that what we see as material reality, is not of our own choosing, but rather is entirely in the Hand of God. One is at the Mercy of God. It is the Power of God that is deciding our destiny. Buddhists call this the Law of Kharma. If you read the following book you will begin to understand the situation. "THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE" by author MICHAEL TALBOT published 1991 by Harper Collins. ISBN 0-586-09171-8.

Google Video Link

If you fancy looking into these phenomenon to greater depth then you could begin by visiting my personal website at VAMPYRE. Also my journal page contains some of the best ghost video that are available. So hit this link too JOURNAL.

[edit on 24/4/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

Just watch this vid:

www.youtube.com...

Real paranormal energy is not just "seeing something" -- it means becoming one with a substrate of reality which in turn creates light that bends spacetime.

So when this contact occurs it changes external reality as well since the "one" is the source for both internal and external reality -- the two are interactive, and holographic. There is no "one" seeing anything -- it's an eternal impersonal process of creation as energy. Yes this energy can be telekinetic, telepathy, ghosts -- it has to be channeled though to see ghosts, to be telekinetic, to have telepathy, etc. That's why poltergeists are with young people who have strong life force energy but also have strong subconscious energy that is projected and externalized -- it then gets channeled as spiritual energy, manifesting as ghosts, etc. Ghosts can feed off people who have weak minds but still have life force energy, etc.

top topics

join