It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grid tied solar for $1000! Totally Expandable.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I have been installing solar for 15+ years. There is a fantastic new technology that will allow nearly anyone to install, and I'm really excited about it. I'm putting one of these on my house, since I get the first time home-buyers tax credit this year.

A company called Enphase has a new inverter, that converts the DC power from a solar panel, directly to 240v AC power that can be tied directly into your how panel.

The great thing about these are they mount right to the solar panel. They require no batteries, and are amazingly easy to install.

Here is Enphase's site, with a video explanation.
www.enphaseenergy.com...

It's amazingly simple, yet fantastically sophisticated.

So, what you need to install one of these.

A 200 watt panel. ($500-$1000). In solar panels, more expensive is not always better.

An Enphase inverter.($200-$300) Call Distributer to assure you have the right inverter with the right panel.

3. A weekend knowledge of electricity, or an electrician. ($0-$500+). Very easy to install. Put panel on roof, with inverter, run conduit to nearest electrical panel. Must have AC disconnect either in outdoor panel, or disconnect before entering house. Must label "Warning, Panel Backfed From Solar" or something like that. Go to local trophy shop to get label made in Red. Check with local codes, inspector.

4. Optional. Webbased monitoring system. Costs $300-$400, and something like $9 per month service. Very cool, one will monitor many panels. Here is an example.
www.wholesalesolar.com...

So, here's the deal.

With the 30% tax rebate, which is good until 2016, each one of these panels with inverter pays itself back in about 10 yrs. The systems are good for probably 20 if not more, which means you will probably make money for a good 10 years on each panel.

In other words, each panel is good for $700-$1000 payback over a 20 yr period, assuming power rates never go up!

Anyways, I'm considered a guru of solar, so if anyone has a question, ask away.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thanks for the post........I do have many questions!! I have been wanting to move in this direction........

I will send you a u2u with my questions later...............Today I watch America fall!!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
Thanks for the post........I do have many questions!! I have been wanting to move in this direction........

I will send you a u2u with my questions later...............Today I watch America fall!!

I will be glad to answer. Posting question in the forum would be great, as it may help others who had similar questions.

I am currently working on an Off-Grid system with a Xantrex XW4024 inverter, Skystream 3.7 wind generator, an Air 403X Marine wind generator, 2kw solar, a 1500 amp hour battery bank, and a back-up generator.

I was called in because the system never worked properly, and the original installer couldn't solve the problem.

I found that the battery bank was wired incorrectly, and has caused the battery bank to sulfate. We are currently in the process of removing the batteries, and sending them back to the factory to see if they can save them.

In the meantime, I have the system running correctly on a temporary battery system.

Why am I posting about these Enphase systems.

Each panel/enphase inverter, will put out enough energy to power around 4-6 light bulbs, or a TV, or the phantom loads during the days.

This power saving is doubled, because it is point of use. No line loss over transmission lines. Most people don't realize that they need to produce 2 times+ amount of power than what you use, because much of the power (up to 50%) is lost getting it to you.

So, point of use power production is twice as effective.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by 911stinks]

new topics

join