It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.6-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Near Guantanamo, Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

5.6-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Near Guantanamo, Cuba

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON - A 5.6-magnitude earthquake struck near Guantanamo, Cuba, on Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake was centered 27 miles southwest of Guantanamo and had a depth of 14 miles, the USGS said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I guess it's time for a new drinking game.

Everytime there is an earthquake, we do a shot!

Seriously, is it just me or do we notice earthquakes more now? I don't mean that they are happening more, but I don't remember every little quiver in the ground being front page news before.

Maybe just since the few "big ones" we notice them more now.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, I wonder if this occurence will stop the HAARP debate. Who would strike there own facility and risk escape of terrorists. Or maybe that's just what they want us to think?

I blame the seemingly over-occurence of earthquakes on faster/easier access to earthquake information. That and of course the media isn't helping. One big earthquake gets a lot of attention and ratings, why not take that ball and run with it!

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Or.......maybe TPTB have agents that constantly bombard the internet with remarks on unremarkable earthquakes to the point we don’t find anything remakable about them at all. Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
and a coincidence the LHC hit 3.5 tev this morning, i think not!

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

I guess it's time for a new drinking game.

Everytime there is an earthquake, we do a shot!

I think that's funny, but then I tend toward off-the-beaten-path humor. I don't think it detracts from your thread, and, sadly, it would make a stellar drinking game. Kudos to you for having the sand to say it.

Okay. First -- on-topic -- I'm about 225 miles from the epicenter (27 miles SSW ofGuantanamo), and didn't feel a thing. Not unusual for a 14-mile-deep temblor. There are little quakes on the Caribbean plate ALL them time, however it seems somewhat rare to me for one of such magnitude to be on the northern edge of it.

I believe that this somewhat oval-shaped teensy plate was probably responsible for the creation of Cuba. I think it's called a subduction zone, but not positve that's the right term -- I think our lil' plate pushes under the North American one.

I get the USGS auto-emails about global earthquakes, and have my threshhold set at 4.5 or greater. I don't think that we're experiencing more earthquakes (at least as compared with, say, the last ten years). I DO think that we're experiencing more variety in the places where medium - larger earthquakes occur.

For example, if a person lives on Vanuatu -- a breezy 1000 miles from Australia -- then that person knows about earthquakes, because they have lots of them ALL the time. But lately...... well, lets just run down the list for last week from USGS:

13 MAR 5.7Mw Nias Region, Indonesia
14 MAR 6.6Mw Near East Coast of Honshu, Japan
14 MAR 5.7Mw Arucaina, Chile
15 MAR 6.0Mw Offshore, Bio-Bio, Chile
15 MAR 4.6Mw Off coast of Oregon
16 MAR 6.7Mw Offshore, Bio-Bio, Chile
16 MAR 5.5Mw Offshore, Bio-Bio, Chile
16 MAR 5.9Mw Sakhalin, Russia
18 MAR 5.6Mw South of Fiji Islands
20 MAR 6.2Mw New Ireland Region, P.N.G.
20 MAR 5.6Mw Cuba region

Keep in mind that those are JUST the reports of 4.5 or greater.

The whole Earth seems to be shakin' these days. New Madrid? Yellowstone Caldera? I shudder to think of it.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

Very possible. Trying to install blinders on a person by bombarding them with too much information. Eventually it would all become background noise and in one ear out the other type of stuff.

That would make an interesting socialogy experiment. Of course, ask any man how his wife's day went yesterday and you can see the results for yourself.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think this is just the media trying to take advantage of the coverage of the haiti and chile quake by reporting all quakes that are above 5.5, which is not usually done, especially by fox.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Exactly. It's the same thing they do with television these days. "A show about police procedure got pretty high ratings, let's make five more." "A reality show got pretty high ratings, let's make ten more!" They take an idea and spin it out so many different ways that iin the end, it loses all meaning or interest. Atleast for a few years, then it's game on!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

It's geological stress, I reckon, from some dense outer body, getting nearer all the time, not the Sun (weak very low geomagnetic activity). Mix the recent quakes with the volcanoes and voilà - ALL caused by the same source, probably our binary. However, one guy felt that whenever Uranus is directly overhead a location, a quake occurs (Agadir, 1960, for example). Which reminds me that the quake upturn STARTED in 1960. At one time I thought that our planet, some 4.5 billion years, ought to settle down - quakewise, that is. But it isn't, is it!

mclinking

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Are we into reporting Earth changes or not? In fact, mass media of late has seemed extremely reluctant to report quakes and volcanoes ; we get 'breaking news' of, say, the Iceland volcano, at the BOTTOM of the TV screen with the forthcoming return of Tiger Woods taking center play. However, I would hope we don't get any more reports of these physical changes, but if we do I trust they WILL be reported because these nasty events add up and members can then draw their own conclusions. Alas, who is to say we don't get the news because there's nothing to report? Or perhaps we are NOT told? Or even lies, i.e. things that are happening and aren't, or things that are and told they're not. Try a search on NASA lies and you'll see what I mean.
mclinking

new topics

top topics

join