It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats ditch plan to avoid direct vote on health care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Democratic leaders have decided to abandon the plan to avoid a direct vote on the Senate health care bill, known as deem and pass.

Instead, multiple Democratic sources told CNN that they will have three independent votes -- a vote on the rule, then a vote on the fix package, followed by a vote on the Senate bill.

Previously, Democrats did not think they could pass the fixes before the bill. But they have been assured by the Senate parliamentarian that it is possible.

The committee was expected to determine whether the House will vote Sunday on a rule that would simply deem the Senate bill -- a sweeping $875 billion reform plan that cleared the Senate in December -- passed. The House then would've proceeded to a separate vote on another $65 billion in compromise changes.

"You all in the minority continue to say what the American people think," Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Florida, said during a particularly spirited portion of the meeting.

"You don't know what all of the American people think. And you certainly don't know what those in my constituency think."

Well it's about time they pass this thing the right way. I don't like the bill but I support healthcare reform, but not 'deem and pass'.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I told you all Pelosi was bluffing on "deem and pass".

Next time you read a post that starts off with, predictions never come true here at ATS....

Predictive skills, like wealth, are accumulated in the hands of few.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Was it ever really a plan? Or just something she mentioned as something she "may consider"? That's how these wild "sky-is-falling" scenarios usually get started. Someone says they might consider it as an option and the opposing team runs, screaming through the streets, shouting, "Pelosi is planning Deem and Pass!!! Run for your lives"!

I don't think Pelosi was bluffing so much as her words were blown entirely out of proportion.

[edit on 3/20/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I wish my predictive skills worked more for me at PokerStars. I played for a whole year, didn't loose any money but only got a hat out of it.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chorizo4
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I wish my predictive skills worked more for me at PokerStars. I played for a whole year, didn't loose any money but only got a hat out of it.

Poker is a game of skill, something that is also consolidated in the hands of the few. It's high time for laws to acknowledge that Poker is a game of skill. The law Bush and the repubs. enacted was but ne more hypocritical action from the conservative right party of individual liberty and freedom.

Best,
Skunks

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

"You all in the minority continue to say what the American people think," Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Florida, said during a particularly spirited portion of the meeting.

"You don't know what all of the American people think. And you certainly don't know what those in my constituency think."

That is a good representative of the American public. We need more Alcee Hastings types around setting this type of example. I am very glad to hear they are not going to Deem this bill in, although I wasn't so sure they were going to before.

Finally feels like we might just be getting listened to though? Not from the Deem and Pass not going through, but by the remarks from Hastings.

new topics

top topics

join