It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate-change scientists aren't happy and feel 'muzzled' by Canadian government: documents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Montreal Gazette

Quote from source:
A dramatic reduction in Canadian media coverage of climate change science issues is the result of the Harper government introducing new rules in 2007 to control interviews by Environment Canada scientists with journalists, says a newly released federal document.

"Scientists have noticed a major reduction in the number of requests, particularly from high-profile media, who often have same-day deadlines," said the Environment Canada document. "Media coverage of climate change science, our most high-profile issue, has been reduced by over 80%."

The analysis reviewed the impact of a new federal communications policy at Environment Canada, which required senior federal scientists to seek permission from the government prior to giving interviews.

In many cases, the policy also required them to get approval from supervisors of written responses to the questions submitted by journalists before any interview, said the document, obtained in an investigation into the government's views and policies on global-warming science that was conducted by Climate Action Network Canada, a coalition of environmental groups.

The document suggests the new communications policy has practically eliminated senior federal scientists from media coverage of climate-change science issues, leaving them frustrated that the government was trying to "muzzle" them.

"Many [federal climate change] scientists are recognized experts in their field, have received media training, and have successfully carried out media interviews for many years," said the document, leaked by an Environment Canada employee who asked not to be named.

"Our scientists are very frustrated with the new process. They feel the intent of the policy is to prevent them from speaking to media."

The Environment Canada analysis noted that four prominent scientists, who regularly spoke for the government on climate change science issues, appeared in only 12 newspaper clippings in the first nine months of 2008, compared with 99 clippings over the same period in 2007.

"There is a widespread perception among Canadian media that our scientists have been 'muzzled' by the media relations policy," said the Environment Canada document. "Media coverage of this perception, which originated with a Canwest story in February 2008, is continuing, with at least 47 articles in Canadian newspapers to date."

I still do not understand how people still believe in global warming.

I was watching Bill Maher the other night and he was literally insulting the person who said that nothing about climate change is solid evidence. At one point he told her she probably couldn't read.

Usually Bill Maher is fairly decent, he tried to get everything said and fights banks and government, but for him to insult someone for not believing the hype of climate change bothered me.

It is sad to see that they are making scientists shut their mouth over their opinions. They are the ones we should be listening to not the damn government.

Disgraceful to say the least. I am happy though that we are not giving it media time anymore.

Any thoughts?

Pred....

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

I still do not understand how people still believe in global warming.

And I don;t understand how people still belive the Earth is round and orbits the sun

Global warming isn't in doubt. The causes, consequence and future predictions are a different matter.

Any thoughts?

Pred....

Yes, it;s futher evidence that the media - possibly under direction from the govt - dictate what the public hear and thereby what the public believe.

I'd advise ignoring the media, and what your politcians tell you, and looking at the science instead.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

And I don't understand how someone can post an article that once again re-affirms climate denial is nothing but conservative political propaganda - and then makes a statement like "I don't understand how people still believe in global warming".

It is sad to see that they are making scientists shut their mouth over their opinions. They are the ones we should be listening to not the damn government.

Agreed 100%.

But I'm not sure by your contradictory post whether you understand which scientists are being "muzzled" and which side of the fence the Canadian politicians stand on. Particularly confusing since your location says Canada?

So just to clarify before anyone else jumps in claiming this censorship is more proof about Global Warming being a government scam for more taxes...blah blah:

The scientists being censored are "pro" climate change, not skeptics.

The current Canadian Government is Conservative and notoriously dismissive towards environmental concerns.

www.guardian.co.uk...

It is of course no coincidence that Canada has invested a lot of energy into developing those sludge pits out west and that they now own the 2nd largest oil reserve in the world.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper in particular has a long history and lots of buddies back on those Tar Sands in Alberta so wow what a shocker that he's trying to stifle anything the scientists might have to say about climate change, huh?

Seriously - the business of climate denial is just getting so absurdly obvious what their agenda is and those of you who still can't see it for what it is - I dunno what else to tell ya - the truth is sitting right there in front of your face.

So I don't blame Bill Maher one bit for suggesting some climate denier can't read properly. No offense OP, but from your confusing response it sounds like that's exactly what you just did with your own article??

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

Maybe I misinterpreted the article, But I take it as Canada is trying to avoid misinterpretations of climate change.

I think that climate change is happening and anthropogenic global warming is false.

Also please do not bring up Alberta's oil sands. I know because I live in Alberta that it produces pollution, but if not cleaned up it would poison the Athabaska River. It powers most of Canada and a percentage of the U.S. so until people stop using power or stop using cars, please stop complaining about it.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

So they are "avoiding misinterpretations" by having the government decide who says what and when?

I guess by that logic Fascism is just a misunderstood way of keeping everyone on the "right" page?

so until people stop using power or stop using cars, please stop complaining about it.

That's exactly the point of climate change activism - to get people to stop complaining and to start actually doing something about it. It's all about minimizing that dirty non-renewable energy, driving less, etc. More than anything it's just about having an all-around conscious attitude towards this planet and how much we all depend on it. All the while understanding how much certain groups are exploiting and abusing it's resources for nothing but personal profit.

But instead this message gets completely derailed every day by all the political propaganda over climate change.

Funny enough - all I ever see these people doing is complaining. They never actually do anything about what they perceive to be the problem. They just sit around on the internet and b*tch about "taxes and global governance". But in the end all they ever accomplish is to further each others apathy while the NWO keeps rolling right along. (And that's exactly what you're doing if you're assuming this is the way things "need to be" until people stop using power altogether).

So if that's what you want to do then fine - but stop being so astounded or cynical when you see others who aren't satisfied with this response.

It's hilarious how many people around here get off on making fun of all the "Al Gore fanatics" who are actually pushing for a more responsible, sustainable economy where we can actually take care of ourselves much better on our own.

I mean yeeeeah, we're the "brainwashed" ones. Meanwhile - you keep on living in a world where you are entirely dependent on them already - and anyone who tells you otherwise is just "complaining" or trying to take away your "freedom".

I mean I'm sure this is really the truth and there's no other reason behind them telling you this - other than, you know, they're just "avoiding misinterpretation".

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

I agree about the fact that the government should stay out of it, but the Climate Change scientists are just as stupid in that sense. I agree in Climate change but that happens all the time throughout history and will not be stopping anytime soon.

I do not think anything should be censored, but unfortunately it has been skewed on both sides of the arguments. There are big scientists that stand for anthropogenic global warming and that to me, if you spend anytime researching at all can be disproved right away.

I am also on the same page about caring about the world. I would never, never stand up for anything Al Gore has to do with. He is so concerned about making money that although he claims other wise, the bottom line is all he can think about.

I will start posting soon enough because I am about to undergo a project of building my own 100% self-sufficient home. I will try and document it on here and show all the steps that I do so everyone can follow. I think people should start taking more action so I thought I would lead by example.

I am also going to purchase a electric vehicle, that can be fully charged with my own renewable energy. That way all I have to do is purchase tires once in a while. I think if everyone could find a way to pull in renewable energy it would help the people a lot.

I agree with you on most of your points and I am trying to make my own difference. I have two kids and want them to be raised properly. They will both be home schooled as well, especially because I am going to university.

Thanks for a good discussion.

Pred...

I also do not think that anyone is brainwashed. I think people are just lazy and comfortable and refuse to do anything until they start losing their conveniences of life, then it will light a fire under their ass.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Thanks for a good discussion.

No prob - thanks for being open minded about it.

Anyway as for the scientists and whether AGW is real or not - let's just agree to disagree then. But I will say this - I hope whatever research you're following that "disproves them right away" isn't the same bunk most people around ATS seem to accept as facts. Most of this stuff over emails and scientists destroying data is just more propaganda and simply spending "anytime researching" the issue is honestly not enough, because there's actually a lot more to the story than that. Some links if you're interested:

Conservative media hype misleading report suggesting CRU destroyed raw climate data

Climate scientist did not falsify data: review

The CRU E-mails: What is Really There?

Climatologists under pressure

Flogging the Scientists (Great video showing how much the denial industry twists the "facts" to suit their own agenda)

But anyway none of that debate even really matters because this is the important thing:

I will start posting soon enough because I am about to undergo a project of building my own 100% self-sufficient home.

That's awesome! I will follow this with great interest. Let me know if you need any input as it's something I've studied a fair bit myself. I recommend looking into German Passive House standards as they really seem to know what they're doing when it comes to this stuff.

But it still kinda makes me wonder predator0187 - you obviously see the bigger picture here, and it's really great to see an ATS member who is all about action instead of just talk - but why bother ragging on the AGW issue at all then when it actually coincides so much with your own goals?

I mean this is the thing that so many people seem to overlook - even if it is a big fat hoax - there is so much good that could come out of it if people just got over the politics of AGW and used it instead as a rallying cry to focus on the things that actually matter.

I've said this time and time again around here - the politics of AGW are a scam. But that's because that part has been hijacked by politicians and economists, and those scumbags will exploit anything into a scam (fake or not). But everyone keeps throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Because real action against AGW is all about what we intend to do about it ourselves (i.e. doing exactly what you're planning on doing).

I've tried to tell people here before that there are so many ways that fighting climate change is the same thing as fighting the NWO - but it goes right over their heads because all they ever do is focus on taxes and Al Gore.

In the end they all think they're fighting the system but really all they're doing is supporting it. Because they're just encouraging everyone to keep being lazy and comfortable and do NOTHING but whine and complain about taxes like every other brainless sap on this planet is already conditioned to do.

Carbon taxes aren't just a scam because of the money - they're also a scam because they're designed to keep everyone completely focused on money and taxes instead of the actual issues behind the taxes. So all this talk about AGW scams really does is keep everyone completely asleep while giving them some false impression that they are more awake than everyone else.

The truth is it actually shouldn't even matter if AGW is real or not - because either way it has a strong potential to be the proverbial fire underneath everyone's ass.

If only people would take their heads out of there and realize this already.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I was reading a post the other day about a volcano going off and the fear of flooding from the glaciers in the area. Don't know if it is possible or not but could the ice melting on the glaciers be from rising magma from the Earths core. Could solar flares be in fact warming the globe. Nothing about this science (as with most science) is absolute. I am for conserving resources and our planet as much as the next guy but there are many possible causes of global warming. Only one is the possibility that it is man made.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
I am for conserving resources and our planet as much as the next guy but there are many possible causes of global warming. Only one is the possibility that it is man made.

Actually this is one of the most common myths propagated over the AGW issue - i.e. that there are plenty of other "natural" explanations.

Something like 95% of the world's glaciers are steadily melting and that would be quite a creative stretch to try and connect every single one of them with volcanic activity.

All these claims that "climate change is natural" in the meantime are for the most part totally superficial and misleading. Although the climate has of course changed naturally in the past - this is generally explained by Milankovitch Cycles which tend to occur over much slower time periods.

We simply have NO concrete evidence that anything like this is happening right now and besides - Global Warming due to man-made causes was theorized over 100 years ago. So it would be a pretty amazing coincidence that some "natural" explanation would come along just as these predictions are expected to come true.

Anyway for more info have a look at this video:

As for the Sun thing - this is another common myth based on yet more "obvious" connections. Of course the Sun plays a HUGE role in how warm the planet is. But too many people just write it all off saying "oh it could be all because of the Sun" without realizing scientists have looked into this angle very meticulously. I've posted about this stuff before so maybe have a look here if you're interested (ignore the snarkiness and just look through the links) or if you want here's another great video from Peter Sinclair:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

So they are "avoiding misinterpretations" by having the government decide who says what and when?

Steve was elected singing a song about transparency. A veritable opera!
Now nothing escapes the government unless it clears the PMO (Prime Minister's Office) first. This piece is less about climate change than it is about obfuscation...Steve's specialty.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

No prob - thanks for being open minded about it.

Same to you, so many people get to upset and aggravated that you cannot have an intelligent discussion with them. Whenever someone gets mad that is the point where I think they have no idea what they are talking about.

Anyway as for the scientists and whether AGW is real or not - let's just agree to disagree then. But I will say this - I hope whatever research you're following that "disproves them right away" isn't the same bunk most people around ATS seem to accept as facts. Most of this stuff over emails and scientists destroying data is just more propaganda and simply spending "anytime researching" the issue is honestly not enough, because there's actually a lot more to the story than that. Some links if you're interested:

Thanks for the links, very informative, but I think your missing what I am saying. I think that we should be taking steps in the right direction, but I do not think that what we have instated in our political system is not helping that. I am less worried about climate change then about the toxic sludge that we are dumping into our oceans. We exploit this planet in so many ways that climate change is only a small fraction. Not saying I am not worried about climate change but I think it should be dealt with as a whole.

There are so many things that people are doing that is taking away from our children's future. We treat this planet like garbage and expect there to be no consequences.

I am 100% for anything that benefits the planets and gets rid of any kind of footprint that we leave on it. I just think we are taking the wrong approach focusing on climate change. We should be taking money of the big corporations hands and making them clean up their mistakes and blunders.

But anyway none of that debate even really matters because this is the important thing:

I will start posting soon enough because I am about to undergo a project of building my own 100% self-sufficient home.

That's awesome! I will follow this with great interest. Let me know if you need any input as it's something I've studied a fair bit myself. I recommend looking into German Passive House standards as they really seem to know what they're doing when it comes to this stuff.

But it still kinda makes me wonder predator0187 - you obviously see the bigger picture here, and it's really great to see an ATS member who is all about action instead of just talk - but why bother ragging on the AGW issue at all then when it actually coincides so much with your own goals?

I like the link you gave me and it is similar to what I am doing. I am building a house that has the back built with rammed earth walls and the front will be all windows as to become a passive solar heated home. It will collect it's own water from rainwater (I will still have a well) so that it would be completely self sustained. I will try and power it with Micro-hydro power but that depends on the slope of my property. I still haven't purchased my land yet because I have been waiting for the perfect one. I figure I am going to live there for a long time so I might as well get exactly what I want.

The only reason I get upset at the whole AGW argument is because one of the founders of Microsoft had a good solution to the problem that would solve it all and would cost a fraction of the price. I started a thread about it sometime ago and I don't think anyone even looked at it.
Anyway, with him stating that he could solve AGW and no one even paid him any attention shows where the governments heads are at.

I am going self sufficient because I think that is the way we should be living. I want to live in a home where I can go pick any of my fruits year round, that contains no toxins in the materials that made it, that does not fall apart after a few years, that does not have to rely on another corporation to supply me with electricity, water and gas, etc... I do not want anyone to be able to charge me whatever exorbitant rates they want. I want to have my future in my own hands. If my children would like to do the same in their future then I will have enough land where they can annex a section off for themselves. In fact., I would probably let anyone I know do the same thing on my land just because anyone that can make those sacrifices are obviously looking at the bigger picture and to me would be an intelligent individual.

I've tried to tell people here before that there are so many ways that fighting climate change is the same thing as fighting the NWO - but it goes right over their heads because all they ever do is focus on taxes and Al Gore.

In the end they all think they're fighting the system but really all they're doing is supporting it. Because they're just encouraging everyone to keep being lazy and comfortable and do NOTHING but whine and complain about taxes like every other brainless sap on this planet is already conditioned to do.

Oh I agree, and while I think that Al Gore is a scam artist I think that we should be doing this intelligently. Carbon is not our only worry in our world. I think this is a step in the right direction that is being driven by people who love money. That is the only think about it that I do not like. I just wish we would actually do something that had intelligence behind it and not greed.

I just think the science should be talking not the politicians, Politicians should be making no decisions regarding anything to do with science, seeing that the majority have no idea what it is even about. Climate changes regardless of us or not, we have an impact, I do not think people realize that more carbon come from eating meat than our vehicles. You are more environmentally friendly to eat a salad in a hummer than a cheeseburger in a smart car.

The truth is it actually shouldn't even matter if AGW is real or not - because either way it has a strong potential to be the proverbial fire underneath everyone's ass.

If only people would take their heads out of there and realize this already.

I agree and I hope by that me making a thread where I build my own home and show how easy and cheap it actually is, that it will people to realize that they can hold their future in their own hands. Lead by example.

Pred...

top topics

join