It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS users, READ your thread first! The title isn't everything!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I feel an obligation to address this to ATS users, as it is a very important part of our community. We have all been guilty of this at some point I'm sure, BUT..

People need to READ the entire OP before posting, seriously!! There is nothing more frustrating than spending lots of time creating a thread only to find out no-one has actually paid any attention to your thread!! Instead they *only* read your title and decided to skip the rest and respond without really reading anything!!

It's also no less frustrating to READ a thread only to find out a potential good thread has been hijiacked by individuals who really haven't read ANYTHING!

For example. Joe makes a thread about Ufos..The title is something like "Wow, proof of UFOS??"

Any person against ufos might look at this pre-emptively and think "Oh God not another one of these...Well I have a good link to show them!!"

Coincidentally, Joe thought of this, in fact in the OP he posts a link...he states "for all you skeptics here
is a link I have incuded, and I'm going to show you why they are wrong!

Well...then user x comes in and says "LOL UFOS R lame cuz this website proves it!!

Next thing you know, you've got 10 users making your thread sink like the titanic because they are quoting this link and have paid NO attention to the OP!!

Now this may seem a little dramatic but we've ALL seen something similar happen on ATS and it's annoying to say the least. Bottom line?? READ THE OP, CLICK THE LINKS and be INFORMED of the OP before posting. Thanks!

[edit on 20-3-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Great thread, I didn't have the time to read past the first couple of lines but, I really like what you have done here with all the letters and words and sentences and stuff.

Star and Flag from me for bringing the topic of ghost dogs to the spot light.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I have had this happen countless times. I tend to use dramatic thread titles to draw attention, and admittedly root out the boneheads you speak of. It's sad to watch it happen. Like a train wreck, but you can't look away.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Well then, you've obviously addressed the problem that's causing this knee-jerk reaction.

Don't put the word proof in your title.

Secondly, don't use titles just to "draw" attention to your thread. We aren't marketers. At least one person reads every thread that's put up on here.

I would suggest that your not focus so much on your title, but the content of the thread. This will prevent those you talk about from doing what it is that you dislike!

Misleading and dramatic for no reason titles are a one way ticket to a thread burial..

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepred
Great thread, I didn't have the time to read past the first couple of lines but, I really like what you have done here with all the letters and words and sentences and stuff.

Star and Flag from me for bringing the topic of ghost dogs to the spot light.

LOL, thanks that made my day! (Ghost dogs) !

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Some people don't have the patience to read more than the title, but isn't it amazing how much patience they have for posting their opinions.

I once had an argument with a person who said I was wrong, because it wasn't in Wikipedia. Then I went to go get the book I had read the fact in. He pulled up Wikipedia to show me how it wasn't in the article. I told him that someone should add it, and he told me that I shouldn't do that, because it wasn't a fact.

After he left, I actually read the Wikipedia article, and the fact I had presented him with was indeed addressed in the second paragraph. He hadn't read past the first one.

I wish I didn't care.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I agree with the op, in fact dramtically...so a flag for that!

And...I agree with most of the respondents...with the exception of the resonse by tothetenthpower...and then I only disagree with a little part of that post.

I really like the "marketing" titles. It makes me want to read the thread to see if it lives up to the hype! Heck, I come here to be entertained, and the tabloid titles are certainly entertainment.

I'm grinning from ear to ear as I write this, so take it with a grain of salt.

new topics

top topics

join