It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines vs. Rangers outcome

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I read the posts for US. Army vs U.S. Marines and I am slightly dissappointed by what I see. Being a former Army Ranger, let me clarify some things for you. The US Army Rangers are part of SOCOM (Special Operations Command) which means that we are Special Forces. We don't do full-scale assaults or peace-keeping missions like the Marines or normal army, we usually work with SEALS, Green Berets, or Delta Force to get things done. I firmly believe that a Marine is a bit quicker and sharper than the basic, by-the-book trained US Army infantryman, however, Rangers aren't your basic, by-the-book trained US Army infantryman. We specialize in unconventional warfare and we conduct raids instead of assaults. The system works like this. Marine Recon (very skilled men, on par with Navy SEALs if you ask me) scopes out enemy territory for a couple of days and then sends back an intelligence report. Then the SEALs or a smaller commando unit goes in and secures the perimiter/disrputs enemy/sabotages enemy equipment. From there, the Rangers or the Marines (depending on whether the attack calls for an amphibious assault or air assault) take over and assault the area. Once, they've secured the territory, the normal army comes in and holds it. We as Rangers, however, are always the first ones into combat. Hence our motto, "Rangers lead the way."

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
you must be pretty old...

anyways, does it really matters whos better? get real here, either one of the two forces have gotten the job for decades now, why bother?

ST6

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Hey what does the 86 in your name mean? Rangers are better by the way.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
rangers are the army's equivilent of the marines really training wise
both are trained very well though
marines get the bad jobs like beach landings and such where as rangers get the bad jobs like HQ storming

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
my recruiter told me there's a division of the marines that is called the "marine raiders" who train with the marine recon, the army rangers, the navy seals and the elite of the navy (i know not the name), and these folk are finally a part of socom, because the marines wanted to be the elite of the elite. damn

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
A couple of points don't add up.

Could I have your Batt and School numbers please.

Originally posted by Iceman86
I read the posts for US. Army vs U.S. Marines and I am slightly dissappointed by what I see. Being a former Army Ranger, let me clarify some things for you. The US Army Rangers are part of SOCOM (Special Operations Command) which means that we are Special Forces. We don't do full-scale assaults or peace-keeping missions like the Marines or normal army, we usually work with SEALS, Green Berets, or Delta Force to get things done. I firmly believe that a Marine is a bit quicker and sharper than the basic, by-the-book trained US Army infantryman, however, Rangers aren't your basic, by-the-book trained US Army infantryman. We specialize in unconventional warfare and we conduct raids instead of assaults. The system works like this. Marine Recon (very skilled men, on par with Navy SEALs if you ask me) scopes out enemy territory for a couple of days and then sends back an intelligence report. Then the SEALs or a smaller commando unit goes in and secures the perimiter/disrputs enemy/sabotages enemy equipment. From there, the Rangers or the Marines (depending on whether the attack calls for an amphibious assault or air assault) take over and assault the area. Once, they've secured the territory, the normal army comes in and holds it. We as Rangers, however, are always the first ones into combat. Hence our motto, "Rangers lead the way."

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
March 6, 1986 was the year I graduated from Fort Benning, Georgia as a ranger from class 4. I was assigned to Company B, 3rd Battalion after my completion of Ranger School. I was unable to go to Panama with the rest of my squad because I had slightly injured my foot in a jump. I know some of the guys who were there and I'm still in contact with a few of them. I participated in Operation Desert Storm and I left the Rangers shortly afterwards because I wanted to pursue a new career, and no I didn't participate in Operation Restore Hope (the now famous Somalia incident). The brave men who did were from Company B, one Platoon from A Company and a command element made up of Rangers from 3rd Battalion.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
That doesn't make sense.

Normally, after the completion of RIP, you're sent to a Ranger Batt. After a slot opens, you go to School. Not the other way around. Bear in mind, I am not accusing you of anything, I am just after a few details.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
That's the way it works, I was an exception however because many slots were open at the time. After the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) I was not directly sent to a battalion because all the battalions were nearly full and many slots were open. I was what they called a "drifter" which means that I would find out which battalion and company I was assigned too during or after my training. In my case, I found out that I would be assigned to Company B, 3rd Battalion when I neared the completion of my training. If you were a Ranger, then you may have had some drifters in your class. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You need to speak with StarChild. He is the genius when it comes to SpecOps stuff.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So any of you a Darby Queen?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
A what? Please explain.

Darby Queen?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
So any of you a Darby Queen?

my late uncle, on my Dad's side was with Darby in the ill fated battle. When he passed, he still had nine German rounds in his body. Survival of the fittest I'd say, and here's to you all, regardless of branch!

I teach a style of martial art called Kenpo. I have three students who either are there or have just returned from duty in Iraq. One is Force Recon, another is RA and the third, a tremendous young lady, is in Army MI.

Thanks to you all.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by sigung86]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If you're a ranger, green beenie or other Spec Ops' guy/gal you have
to know about the Queen.

Those who can't cut it are called the Queen.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Hmm... That's interesting. Like I said before, StarChild has much more experience with this type of thing. I'm just a nurse.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
My old scout master growing up had been a Green Beret in Vietnam, he had gone through the Darby with Drew Dix and told us that anyone who couldn't cut the obstacle course was know as a Darby Queen.

www.specialoperations.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Kenpo (also known as Kempo) was one of the best things about being a Ranger. We learned a lot about this martial art (kenpo Jiujitsu, shotokan) and so on. There's a guy named Bruce Juchnick Hanshi who is very proficient at this art and he came to teach us about it. I don't know if you know who he is, but he came to lecture at one of our sessions, he was like magic.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Who would win between the Mariners and Rangers? Simple the Rangers, their batting over .300 without A-Rod. Those boys are in first place and the Mariners are 18-31. Not to mention Ichiro is in a slump.

Oh wait. That says Marines.

Just kidding, I read the original post and I have to agree with the Iceman.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iceman86
That's the way it works, I was an exception however because many slots were open at the time. After the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) I was not directly sent to a battalion because all the battalions were nearly full and many slots were open. I was what they called a "drifter" which means that I would find out which battalion and company I was assigned too during or after my training. In my case, I found out that I would be assigned to Company B, 3rd Battalion when I neared the completion of my training. If you were a Ranger, then you may have had some drifters in your class. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

No worries
Nah, I'm not a Ranger.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
anyone have information on the segment called the "marine raiders." i've done some poking around but all i could come up with is the old world war two crew. the ones i'm referring to were mentioned by one of my recruiters, and they train with all the branches of the elite in the military and were finally apart of socom? could it perhaps be something new and waiting in the wings? or was the recruiter loco?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join