It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bumping your own threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I was wondering what the rules are for bumping a thread that you created.
The last post occured on 8-11-2009.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If there's new information to add or a question left unanswered, there's nothing wrong with bumping an old thread back into the light, no matter how old.

Just adding a post saying nothing but 'bump' would likely be removed as 'off topic'.

sp

[edit on 19/3/10 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I would think it would be bad form to do so; after all, if it didn't warrant a massive amount of responses before, patting yourself on the back by getting it back on page one of recent posts isn't going to help matters any.

And, if a new thread comes along that is about the same thing you covered, I would post on the new thread, stating that this has been covered, link them to your thread, and add a comment about how you hope this new thread does better than yours.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
What does "bump" mean?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
If there's new information to add or a question left unanswered, there's nothing wrong with bumping an old thread back into the light, no matter how old.

Just adding a post saying nothing but 'bump' would likely be removed as 'off topic'.

G'day masqua

But even if you remove the word "bump", it's still "bumped".

So, the "bumper" wins.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

sp
[edit on 19/3/10 by masqua]

what if we make a post saying

"pff topic bump"

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

That's irony for you.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

It would still be off topic, the post may removed if seen by staff and the thread would still remain bumped.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

'bump', in this case, means adding a post to a long dead thread in order for it to show up on the recent posts page again.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

So, the "bumper" wins.....

The bumper is also the bumpee ... existential circularity prevails!

However i wouldn't call it a 'win' ... as there are a couple of personal issues involved in the bumpee's process of conceding that the only person interested in the topic is the bumper.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There are, of course alternate meanings to 'Bump it' and could show some.really bad YouTube vids of that awful hairstyle accessory which makes some who use that apparatus look like they have those huge elongated skulls of which pictures may be found here and there buried deep within the annals of ATS.

But I am resisting that temptation with all the courage I can muster and shall remain on the topic of this thread, which is bumping up old topics by posting on them.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well.....

I don't know about that.

I can sit here for hours just looking at one of my threads sitiing there at the top of the pile.

It just makes me feel.........well, you know......good

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Oh I agree ... yet somehow it's always more rewarding when others are bumping my junk around than when I'm doing it myself.

But that could just be me.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well that is true.....

It's best not to be bumping one's junk.....

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm confused... let me see if I got this right:

If a poster posts a thread which isn't getting attention, the poster would become a bumper if he (the poster) posts a new post to bump his posted thread; as such the posted poster is now a bumper, having bumped his posted thread with a bumping post. Which is bad, unless it (the bumping) was done with new information.

But, if a second poster, different from the original poster who originally posted the posted thread, decides that the posted thread in question is deserving some more attention, then he may, in turn, post a post, which then bumps the thread to perhaps gain more attention, and thus, more posts. In essence, the second poster would also be a bumper. Which is good, unless it (the post) was posted for the sake of bumping.

So... a bump is a post to bump up a thread, a bumper is the action of bumping, and a bumpee is the poster posting a post for the sake of bumping?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Adding new and/or updated information (or answering a question, or adding your thoughts) to old threads/topics, improves the quality of these threads. It doesn't matter whether it's being done by the thread author or not, as long as the input is relevant to the thread.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've seen some topics that I missed the first time around pop back up and I'm grateful to have not missed them entirely. The first page cycles through fairly quickly and it seems that most people only look at the first page of "recent posts" so bumping a thread (yours or someone else) is a public service.

If after bumping it, it still gets ignored then it's time to move on, imho.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Sort of got it.

In the old days someone would say"excuse me do you mind not bumping me please".

Now in the time of the Internet Forum era "we say do you mind not acknowledging me bumping myself".

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Uhhhm, what's "pff?"

Cool avatar, by the way.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Well that is true..... It's best not to be bumping one's junk.....

When the above type of quote is proposed by someone who's avatar is a nude thinking man, an array of previously unimaginable visual images are pondered.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join