It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, "The Fourth Kind", explain the "hoax"? (The owls are not what they seem)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Concerning this movie

Ok, I bought this DVD tonight, watched it and now I have some questions. I've read several threads about this movie being a "hoax" etc, and I didn't see much "proof" of it being a hoax other than a website linking here to some chick that SORTA looks like Dr "Tyler" (lets remember that the movie states clearly that all names are ALIASES to protect the *real* people involved.)

There are other links such as this that clearly call "hoax" but...it's more like "HAHA YOU SUCK THIS IS A HOAX!" without any proof of such...Then claims of it being like "Blair witch" where the producer of *that* movie* REVEALED his marketing strategies here and didn't "protect" any names of "real" people involved... Even CNN hopped on the bandwagon with speculation and even quoted a resident of NOME Alaska as their "proof"! So we get CNN telling us a person in a population of 9.261 telling us they are "annoyed", and thats gospel, lol.

Population of Nome Alaska

I wanna see some HARD proof of this being a hoax please?? I'm a little surprized that ATS hasn't really DUG this up more...We have pure speculation and nothing more at this point. I want to see the producer state that this was nothing but a marketing campaign to bolster movie sales, otherwise, I can't just blatantly claim this as a hoax just yet.

If you are a fan of "the examiner" they explain how this is based on "somewhat" real events...who knows but here is their take on it:

www.examiner.com...

AnyWOO!! *IF* this movie has any credibility then I'll have to chalk it up to these "things" being from Hell itself. I've always wondered if there is a link between the "spiritual" or "demonic" in largely debated UFO phenomenon..In this movie, things are claimed to always happen around 3am, most interestingly 3:33am, also known as the "the witching hour" or the opposite time of Christ' ressurection (3pm, daylight). So, even if we are talking about entertainment value, it's interesting to note at least.

TWIN PEAKS CONNECTION:

If you are not familiar with this series, then just ignore.

Has anyone here ever been kinda a die hard fan of that show?? There are some interesting connections. You might notice the "owl" correlation...It's a little creepy, but only worth noting. "The owls are not what they seem" ... There are hidden clues in this whole series about owls and at one point the tibetan monks are cherished for their abilities to see things beyond our human comprehension. The "black lodge" where the owls originate is also interesting, as it correlated with the "disappearance" of the Air Force major, in the series. The topic here is not soley "Twin Peaks" but maybe if someone can find a connection to David Lynch (director/producer of "Twin Peaks") and this movie, we may be on to something!

In "The Fourth Kind" the people under hypnosis, explain after the session that "they weren't owls". So it seems to me that the "owls" were an implanted illusion. *shrug* Interesting at very least.

EDIT to add Twin Peaks vid.
Out there!! (This is one of *many* references to owls in twin peaks)

Finally, for those who are not famililar, here is a YT trailer of the movie. (The Fourth Kind)

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Funny, I JUST finished watching this movie for the first time and jumped on here to try and find out if it is all a hoax. I sure hope it is, 'cause otherwise it's frickin terrifying.

My gut tells me they were ALL actors. From the video footage of the hypno sessions to the cameras conveniently positioned in the patrol cars. You can see just enough in the 'real' footage to be scared, but not enough to call it fake.....hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Whitley Strieber also talked about seeing the owls in his book "Communion"! Great read for those who haven't gotten the chance!

Hmmmm....makes me wonder about all the owls around my place!
Can hear em out there all night! And they're always up on the tree-tops...mocking me, no doubt!

Haven't seen the movie yet...but dying to! Being a lifelong Alaska resident and obsessed with the UFO/abduction phenomena its quite interesting!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Yup, a hoax.

article one

article two

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Makes one wonder why the people who attend The Bohemian Grove worship the Owl. The owl is also depicted in very small detail on the one dollar bill, which is thought to represent the same owl worshiped by the occult at the Bohemian Grove.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
io9.com...
www.cnn.com...

I never saw the trailer or heard about the hype of it being based on a true story, so I didn't realize that they weren't just using that as part of the storyline when I watched it. Yes, it is a all fictional (so I suppose you could call it a hoax?) and I don't know why they worked so hard to make people think it would be the real deal.

I guess they were trying to use the Blair Witch Project technique on audiences to a degree. I still meet people who think that film was real until I e-mail them interviews from the film creators or the wiki page.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Yup, a hoax.

article one

article two

Ok, thanks for the links, but this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Your first link is *nothing* short of speculation and absolutely *no* evidence was presented other than opinion from critics! Where did the producer admit his marketing scheme?? This is literally along the same lines as the link I posted in the OP that would lead you here

The second article actually un-intentionally backs up the story with a real account in Alaska (which is yet to be proven as linked with the "The Fourth Kind" movie/documentary?)

Holly's Fight For Justice

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by litmuspaper

Please read the OP.

Edit: check links even. I even noted CNN.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

This is quoted from the first link I posted:

Try Googling "Abigail Tyler" and "Alaska." You'll get a link to a convincingly boring Web site called the "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" - complete with a biography of a psychologist by that name who researched sleep behavior in Nome. Except the site is suspiciously vacant, mostly a collection of articles on sleep studies with no home page or contact information.

Another site, www.alaskanewsarchive.com, features a story from the Nome Nugget about Tyler moving to Nome for research. The problem? The story is credited to Nugget editor and publisher Nancy McGuire, who says it's baloney and she never wrote it.Both the news site and the medical journal site were created just last month, according to domain-name research sites. Ron Adler is CEO and director of the Alaska Psychiatric Institute. Denise Dillard is president of the Alaska Psychological Association. They said this week they've never heard of the Alaska Psychiatry Journal, or of Abigail Tyler.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

(lets remember that the movie states clearly that all names are ALIASES to protect the *real* people involved.)

I don't remember this being stated anywhere by the creator or in the film, but now this just makes the hoax more hilarious to me. They say they changed the names then they make a fake website to support her past in Nome a month before the trailer is released? Whoever was in charge of the viral marketing is sloppy.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by litmuspaper

Try Googling "Abigail Tyler" and "Alaska."

Try googling "gnomes in Alaska"

I get

Yea, why is this in the P/S section? HaHa. Yes, there is a Gnome, Alaska; and yes there are gnomes. You have to get out of the city a little more. Alaska has many other oddities; like moose, bears, cariboo, elk, and of course, gnomes.

lol.

I get what you're saying tho... I gotta give you crap tho, it's not personal!

Tell me how this dis-proves the movie, and the "accounts" within?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by litmuspaper
(lets remember that the movie states clearly that all names are ALIASES to protect the *real* people involved.)

I don't remember this being stated anywhere by the creator or in the film

lol well then maybe you should watch the movie.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Better yet show me what evidence has ever been presented to authenticate the story or any of the “real” footage in the film?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

reply to post by Wookiep

Better yet show me what evidence has ever been presented to authenticate the story or any of the “real” footage in the film?

Great quote!! I'm not subject to either direction. Maybe we should call the producer?? Anyone know his #? Anything? OR Perhaps we need to dig a little more aside from pure speculation and common MSN practices?? Maybe you should try and steer away from trolling before knowing ALL the facts. This reminds me of 9/11 threads.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
All of this info compiled on the wiki page continues to lean toward hoax when there is NO, ZERO, NADDA evidence to the contrary. I'd love to see some.

The film's trailer states that the story is based on "actual case studies", but did not specify any cases. As a result, much speculation has arisen regarding the search for documented evidence from the actual cases and whether Dr. Abigail Tyler is a real person or a fictional character for use in an internet viral marketing campaign.[5]

On September 1, 2009, an investigation by Noori Wright and the Anchorage Daily News examined the validity of the film's premise, and its relation to actual disappearances that have occurred in and around the town of Nome. The investigation found no specific events to back up the claims in the film and also revealed that unsolved deaths in Nome are no more a majority of disappearances (just as in other remote areas).[6]

On November 12, 2009 Universal Pictures agreed to a $20,000 settlement with the Alaska Press Club "to settle complaints about fake news archives used to promote the movie." Universal acknowledged that they created fake online news articles and obituaries to make it appear that the movie had a basis in real events.[7]

On November 13, 2009 WorstPreviews.com reported "Universal Pictures has just reached out to us to let us know that the studio was not sued and the money was just a contribution Universal made to the Alaska Press Club. The contribution was not a result of any lawsuit."[8]

The movie actually turned out to be fake, and the actress who played Dr. Abigail Tyler is Charlotte Milchard, who can be found on the Internet Movie Database.[9] Her name is stated in the end credits under "Nome Residents", along with actors Valentin Ganev, Vladimir Kolev, Jay Glenn Sunberg, and Sylvia Loulcheva.[citation needed] Also, the town portrayed as "Nome" in the movie is actually Squamish, British Columbia. The version from the movie can be seen here: movie screenshot and a real photo here: Squamish.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by litmuspaper]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Maybe you should try and steer away from trolling before knowing ALL the facts.

Trolling? Sorry if I gave you that impression, I'm not trying to troll in your thread. As for all the facts, you presented none. Not one fact that shows anything in the film is not fictional other than the town of Nome, Alaska.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Well thanks for the post, I almost posted "wiki" in the OP myself. If you consider that as "proof" and gospel concerning the OP then great, you've got it figured out!!
Check out some other threads now, it was nice to have you in my thread!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
Well thanks for the post, I almost posted "wiki" in the OP myself. If you consider that as "proof" and gospel concerning the OP then great, you've got it figured out!!
Check out some other threads now, it was nice to have you in my thread!

I don't consider it proof or gospel, it is however more evidence showing that the film's claims are a hoax, when you and no one else has offered any evidence that the film's claims are facts.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Wookiep

Trolling? Sorry if I gave you that impression, I'm not trying to troll in your thread. As for all the facts, you presented none. Not one fact that shows anything in the film is not fictional other than the town of Nome, Alaska.

Right. Thanks to you as well, as no *facts* were presented from your end either. No really, thanks again!

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Yes, Dr. Abigail Tyler being played by Charlotte Milchard is a fact.

Universal creating fake online news articles and obituaries to make it appear like the film had a basis in real events is a fact.

And, yeah, it's very clear I'm wasting my time. You seem a little hostile, sorry I didn't agree with your fantasy, but there's no need to be rude.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by litmuspaper]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join