It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're 30 or older, You Might Find This is Hilarious!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
oh and speaking on riding a bike without a helmet, that is another issue. the government and everyone else press to vulnerable people all their crap with scare tactics and a ton of other stuff (wear a helmet or you will die!)(buy cassonade gummy worms! they taste good and there good for you too- targets like, 8 year olds) and other stuff. I belive ( and this sounds totally radical and what not) that the constitution should be rewritten. the government is finding ways to enslave us (minoritys get more tax returns so they will depend on the government), and stuff such as health care, that is not in our best interest. once again sorry, im keyboard happy XD

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I'm not even twenty, and I grew up mostly like the e-mail says you guys did. I walked to school, or, went by bike. Okay, it was only 2 miles and after I got older I got to go by bus. (But at that time, the distance was 15miles so..understandable right?)

When I was growing up, sure, internet existed but I didnt have a computer until I earned enough money to buy one.

I didnt "need" beating up, I did get spanked few times, but those weren't for real issues..I once got spanked for asking my mom to make me tea when I was sick and then fell asleep and never drank it. So, yeah, I'm kinda glad there's CPS around. I'm not saying that I never did anything bad, I'm just saying that my mom was a sweetheart, I cant imagine the hell one is going through if their parent(s) were drunk and got beaten "all the time".

Most hi-tech gear I had was a cassette player - that ran on batteries and even then I had like 5 cassettes to choose from, yay.

I dont really have anything to say about calling and such, I understand the idea and principle of cellphones, but I dislike them because I think everyone should have their privacy. Sure, cellphones can safe lives if you get hurt or someone else does.

I had an 8-bit nintendo - And I still love that console. also, Space Invaders is a classic.

No remotes for our TV either, until my mom got a new TV after last one broke down. And there were no cartoonnetwork for me neither, they did start showing cartoons every morning at 7AM when I was like 10 or so tho. Tricky way to get kids up earlier, let me tell you that

I think I was 7 when we got a microwave, it was neat to be able to make warm sandwiches and re-heat leftovers and whatnot, but I could've used the stove - which I had done before that so it wouldn't be too troublesome either.

And believe me, I'm an outdoors person, I rarely was home unless sleeping eating or showering. (And/or sick :/)

And we didnt have a car, I can only wonder how that felt like - Getting car rides when you were going somewhere. I had to pretty much walk. If we went to see relatives or something, then we took a train, assuming it was out of city, otherwise, a bus.

Do I feel spoiled? Sure. Could I last 5 minutes in the 80s? I have to say; Yes. Although I cant really test it now can I?
Would love to someday tho.

I cant imagine 80s being any "worse" than the "wild" And believe me, I have no trouble surviving in the wild neither, of course, I'd have certain luxuries with me, such as a knife and good matches and/or a lighter too.

Nice thread though OP, it was nice to sit for a while and think back for a second.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I think what amazes me most about most kids these days is the fact that they can't get through a movie without texting, or can't even go to the restroom without their cell phone. I've heard young women in a public bathroom, chatting away while going.

And the fact they talk back and disrespect their parents..... seems to go on way more than when I was a kid. No way would I talk back at my parents.

Seems like there's so much excess ..... and that can be a bad thing too.

I feel very lucky I did not have to go to school and pass metal detectors. I'm glad I didn't have a computer or a myspace and facebook to contend with. I can't imagine, having a need to know who's status is what, every moment of the day. I really think back in the day was real freedom..... and not being so wrapped up in the internet gives a person more time for other things.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Asherah

I'm 29 and I totally agree w/ you. Maybe it's b/c my generation was the last that (overall) respected their parents. Not saying everyone did, but the majority did in my time. In contrast, I'm also NOT saying that ALL kids today are disrespectful, but it's becoming a fashionable trend. And it disgusts me. I have to be honest.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Kids being dissrespectful has to do alot with the environment they grow up in and the parents. I have to be honest. We lost something in the way back then. I think we need to reassess our grounds, and find a balance. Not too rough, and not too lenient. The identity of us as human beings needs to be clear and concise. Having choice is a good thing, being responsible for each child is very important. We can't raise our children under closed walls, we can't do this alone. We need to be enough of a parent to know when to admit when we are wrong, and there needs to be a clear and concise communal raising, both in schools, in homes, and in our lives. We all need to be aware of what is going on in our children's lives, and we each need to be responsible, because when it comes down to it, everyone is helping to mold, shape, and raise our children. We need to recognize this and become more invloved and responsible for not just our children but to your children aswell. This means yes, back to the home, as that is a big part of our community, and not just our community, but our lives at work, at school, and in the home.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by DarkCyrus]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Man... that OP makes me feel old

Very true though....and I do agree with it...but then you can say that a generation or couple of generations ahead of the 30-somethings would say the same about us...

With our portable music (cassette players) and our colour tv's and our cable/satellite tv.

There's always someone older and more hard-done-by than you.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
hahahaha
30 years from now our kids will say the same to their kids.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Our kids will be complaining bout
lack of free energy devices and personal flying saucers in their times !

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
hey its me. i'm back AGAIN to this wonderful post =).
I agree. Texting and cell phones are a waste. I don't have a cell (i want one just in case, like if i go to a basketball game to play pep band i always have to borrow my friends, and it takes me 15 mins to get one) but its fine: i don't need it. During lectures in some of my classes people will be texting other people in school, and once a guy was texting the girl sitting RIGHT NEXT TO HER. The teacher saw them with their hands below the desk (texting) and told them to lift their hands. They just kept their cell phones in their laps until she turned around again

Texting can be useful, but people take it WAY too far. Talking to your friends is fine, but spending every waking minute on facebook, myspace, and with their cell phones is crazy. i know people that read and text at the same time! and having the TV on in the background.
Today's society is being destroyed by texting irresponsibly.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Hilarious video! Thanks for posting it.

P.S. Thank you, Toreishi, for doing the research and finding the original source: Ernest Cline I listened to the original piece. It's different in some ways. Whoever constructed the e-mail chain letter left out some things, and also changed some things (and not for the better). Whoever created the e-mail, I wish they had given him credit! None-the-less I'm glad I received it and was able to share it.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by 2manyquestions]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Thanks for a happy thread for a change, although I have to disagree with you. I am 38 and my son is 14.
Yes, there are some things that are easy and better for them, but that is mostly due to the advances in technology - as kids we didn't know any better so we did not miss the "convenience".

Here are some of the things that he can't do or puts him at risk:

- ride on his bike in the streets like boys should (see below);
- walk to the shops a few blocks because of the risk of being mugged or worse (Child kidnappings and gang rapists);
- his prospects for finding a job after High School is slim as he is white and nobody is hiring white school leavers in South Africa due to BEE(Black Economic Empowerment);
- teenage abuse of drugs, alcohol is at critical levels (We're a nation of druggies)
- being murdered during a burglary or hijacking (hijacking)

No, I fear for my son and only hope that he is able to have a good happy life in the years to come. In the meantime I am preparing him for the "real-world" as much as I can without tainting his innocence.

Sorry to be so pessimistic in such a optimistic thread.

I'm sorry to hear that your son has it so rough. This reply is to you, but also to the others who mentioned that today the world is a more dangerous place to grow up in.

I've spent my childhood in three different environments. I was born in a Communist country where brainwashing was standard, I was moved to Germany where neighborhoods were safe and nice to live in, and I was then moved to the U.S. to a neighborhood with nightly drive-by shootings and high crime. They wouldn't just steal bicycles, they'd steal clothes out of the washers when they could!

Fact is that there are many places in this world where kids can grow up in safe neighborhoods, where they continue to ride their bikes down the street without the fear of being robbed, beat, or shot at (at least no more a chance than we had when we were kids). I know that many parents don't have the financial luxury to just pick up and leave, go someplace else,...but.. then I think of what my parents did and I have to disagree even with myself.

My parents were 27 years old when they placed my sister and I in the car and started driving to the border of Germany. They had only a few bucks in their pocket that they saved up. We left behind a house, all our possessions (with the exception of a change of clothes and a few toys for us), and they told us we were going on "vacation". They didn't know if the border patrol would stop us and let us through. When you went abroad, you weren't allowed to take your whole family. You were required to leave someone behind so that you'd have a reason to return. At the border I had to hide under the car seat. Luckily my father had a connection on the border and they let us through. Once across, we drove to the nearest police station and my parents sought political asylum. We didn't speak a word of German when we arrived, but we certainly learned fast. The rest is history.

Germany was great for a kid, but two years later we were offered either German citizenship or a green card to the U.S. My parents decided that the U.S. would have many more opportunities for us, so we eventually immigrated to the U.S. Again, we didn't speak much English, but we learned. Of course nobody told us about the neighborhood where they would place us! It was dangerous, it was full of crime and we absolutely HATED it! So, what did my parents do? My dad worked his ass off to get us out. It took a couple of years, but eventually he moved us somewhere safer where we didn't have to worry about being robbed or shot. My parents did everything in their power to improve our situation.

What's my point? Well, I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing, and certainly I have no idea if I would be capable of doing what my parents did, BUT, that is definitely an option for nearly every parent out there. If you feel that your kid's childhood is in jeopardy due to his/her current environment, consider moving to live someplace else where they can enjoy being young. The world is full of safe places where a kid can still enjoy life safely. It's never been 100% fool-proof. Not 30 years ago, not 50 years ago, not even 300 years ago. Every generation faces it's own demons, but never forget that you still have a choice. It may not be the easiest to make or choose, but it's there to be taken.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by 2manyquestions]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joshkl2013
hey its me. i'm back AGAIN to this wonderful post =).
I agree. Texting and cell phones are a waste. I don't have a cell (i want one just in case, like if i go to a basketball game to play pep band i always have to borrow my friends, and it takes me 15 mins to get one) but its fine: i don't need it. During lectures in some of my classes people will be texting other people in school, and once a guy was texting the girl sitting RIGHT NEXT TO HER. The teacher saw them with their hands below the desk (texting) and told them to lift their hands. They just kept their cell phones in their laps until she turned around again

Texting can be useful, but people take it WAY too far. Talking to your friends is fine, but spending every waking minute on facebook, myspace, and with their cell phones is crazy. i know people that read and text at the same time! and having the TV on in the background.
Today's society is being destroyed by texting irresponsibly.

Welcome back.
My reply to you would be this; Cell phones are a wonderful invention, but at the same time (as with any technology) we can't let ourselves be completely dependent on it. We have a choice. We can turn it off anytime we please! We can turn it back on when we need it again. It's nice to be able to call someone when you're stranded. It's nice to be able to still receive an important message when you're required to have your ringer turned off. The abuse of these functions is purely by choice.

It is not the technology that is at fault, it is the person who is incapable of self-control. One can own just about anything and choose to use it for the good or bad of a society. If I have a knife in my hands I can either use it to cut bread, or stab the person next to me. A dramatic example, but I hope it illustrates my point.

My point is, maybe it's not the technology we have, maybe it's our upbringing and how kids are raised these days. If you see your kid texting at the dinner table, you take the phone away. If you see they play games all day long without earning that privilege, you discipline them by taking the games away and explaining why you've done what you've done. Discipline and self-control go a very long way, even in such a technologically advanced society.

This also ties in with why kids and the laws against certain types of disciplines are the way they are in some countries today. The older generation used to get beat for doing the wrong thing (sometimes they were physically abused by alcoholic fathers or mothers, and there were no laws to protect children from it), so when those kids grew up, they swore they'd never hit their child. They swore they'd let their kids have opinions, allow them to be part of making family decisions, and treated them as if they were made of porcelain. Some parents treated their children as if they were their friends, not their parents. Since not every parent knew how to do this right and still raise an obedient, respectful and responsible child, nowadays we (the adults) feel that some (but certainly not all) of today's youth is spoiled rotten. Some parents let their children rule over them, kick them around, talk back, do whatever they want, and in turn those children grow up to be irresponsible and selfish adults,... which also leads to abuse of technology.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by agentofchaos

I laugh at this. First, I'm not a kid and not quite 30 yet. However, I wouldn't say we had it easier then you guys. People of your age, grew up when it was all about peace and love. Now kids are only interested in fighting and drugs. I'm sure back in your day you could get a job twice as easy, save up for your car, do this and do that with ease. Now everything costs so much more and people with degrees are taking the fast food jobs because thats all there is; leaving no chance for a 16/17 year old to get their foot in the door, everything has rules upon rules, and there is so much more indifference, in my opinion atleast, because of all the electronics. So, when you remeber you childhood, you remeber it as bad? Because if kids have it good now, that only means that you had it bad back then...

Don't forget we're still alive. We're living through many of the same things you are, and we're still struggling to find jobs and keep them just like you.

I personally didn't grow up in the "peace and love" era, but those who have may tell you that the 70s were anything but full of peace and love. We're talking the Vietnam war, the Cold War, the draft (where they FORCED you to join the military and go overseas), heavy drug use, racism and violence. Sure there were a lot of people who enjoyed growing up back then, but for many other people (especially those who were drafted) it was hell. I realize that the idea of hippies, bell bottoms and 70's music brings images full of peace and love to one's mind, but that is probably the only common fond memory some people have of that era.

The indifference doesn't come from technology (although it may aid it). It comes from the people using that technology. Their upbringing has much to do with the way they treat each other.

As for whether or not I feel my childhood was bad,.... I personally enjoyed many aspects of it. The thing that many of the younger people might misunderstand is this; When we reminisce about our childhood, it's not that we believed the world was a better place back then or that we enjoyed every second of it. It's the memory of being young! It's the memory of having almost no responsibilities, when you could run through the street screaming without anyone thinking you were insane. It's the memory of having time to play games without worrying about having to pay bills. It is the certain types of freedoms you feel when you're a kid that's appealing. As you grow up you gain new freedoms over your life and lose some in the process. You trade one freedom for another. Sometimes you miss those old freedoms you gave up, so you reminisce and look back on your childhood fondly. Sometimes you almost invent memories of happiness of that time in your life, or maybe you exaggerate them because now that you're older you can finally appreciate them. I hope that helps you understand where some of us are coming from.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I believe I am seeing a pattern here. My father hated debt; that's why he did things the way he did. Your father was in the bad neighborhood before he could go into debt. The single common denominator in both of these is: no debt.

I personally tried desperately to get into debt when I became an adult. I wanted all the things that money could buy, and like most young adults, I wanted it then. The economy of the 1970s was all that prevented me from becoming hopelessly ensnared by it. In this area, the three major employers closed down all within the space of a single month back in '85. I was one of those thousands laid off.

Not only did that experience prevent me from going into debt deeper, but the hardships I had paying my way out while unemployed (and eventually having to move form my beloved mountain to find work) taught me how devastating life in debt can be. Today, I owe no one. That means I get to set my own destiny and change my course if I see fit. It means I will be one of the last to go completely under in this economy.

I have to relate an anecdote about that '85 recession. It was early July and as usual, I had taken my vacation the week of the 4th. I was driving along when I passed a marina and thought to myself "I have been wanting a boat". I pulled in and the salesman finally showed me my dream... a beautiful pontoon with all the latest conveniences! It cost almost as much as a new car, but what the hey? Two weeks earlier the big bosses, the CEOs of the plant I was working at, had actually shut down the plant and called the entire workforce out. They landed in helicopters and over a loud PA system told us that [everyone had a job for the next 4 years, and 80% of us for four more after that. My job was the most secure in the county.

We wrote up the paperwork and I had the pen in my hand, pointed at the line where I was to sign a note for huge payments for the next 4 years. At that last moment, for some reason I still wonder about, I told the salesman "This is a lot of money. I want to sleep on it one night". He said no problem and he would be there at 8:00 in the morning to finish the deal. I went home.

The next day I woke up and decided to go get my boat. On the way I stopped at the little convenience store in the one-horse town near me to get a bite to eat and a cold drink. As I walked in, the owner of the store, a man I have known all my life, saw me and asked "Are you getting laid off too?"

They had announced the closing of the plant and the layoff the evening before, about the same time I had pen to paper.

Of course, I told the salesman what happened and didn't buy the boat. Had I signed that note, I would have been bankrupt immediately.

How many people have been in a similar situation, but didn't listen when something inside them said "sleep on it"? How many have sold their future to debt, locking in their life before they knew what was truly important? The benefit has been that Western civilization has experienced a burst of convenience and comfort and technological improvements that have never existed before; the downside is that we have lost not just an entire generation of children, but an entire generation of parents... and it has been my observation that parents learn to be parents from their parents, taking the good and trying to change the bad methods that were used on them. Who are tomorrow's parents going to learn from? How will they know what to do? Have we also lost the lessons that have been handed down unspoken from generation to generation since time immemorial?

All for a shiny new car and a big house...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Looks like you were lucky you listened to that little voice in your head! Often it goes ignored by many people, including myself, but somehow it always ends up being right.

You're right! My father was very good about paying his bills, and he still is. He always warned us never to get into debt if we could help it. If debt was imminent, we made damned sure we bought only the things we were able to pay off. It was a great embarrassment to owe anyone any money. It was a huge blow to the ego. Unfortunately a lot of people these days have figured out a way to appease their bruised ego by justifying their debts in twisted ways. Next thing you know you have people believing that even though they're the ones who got themselves into debt, it's everyone else who's at fault and who owes them! We've got a society filled with people with entitlement issues. Of course that may be another topic entirely.

The lesson here is; we have to instruct the new generation on financial responsibility and about the loss of freedom they'll experience when they plunge themselves head deep into debt over a new car, a new house, or whatever else they figure they need that very moment. No, you can't have everything you've ever dreamed of if you haven't worked for it. No, you can't borrow infinite amounts of money to buy that house, or that car unless you're able to repay it. If you discontinue to pay your debt you lose it, because it wasn't yours to begin with. No, the credit card is not your infinite money pouch that you reach into anytime you want something. It takes a lot of self-discipline and willpower to resist doing some things they see others do on a daily basis. Of course it's important to note that teaching kids to run their businesses and banks ethically will also prevent a lot of these problems from occurring. All in all it's a complicated subject, and the answer to the problem isn't as clear-cut as it would seem at first.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by r3dman

Anyway, i am in the 30's crowd and u know your getting old when you turn your car radio on to what u would listen to when u younger and u find yourself saying "what is this S***" and then find yourself turning the station to the best of the 70's, 80's and 90's

Man,you made my day.
I was thinking exactly the same a few days ago...i must be getting old. S&F for you.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by Bursuc]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
A intresting view i'm 28 and dont think im that old, nor am I so removed from todays generation to think they have it easy they dont have it easy there problems are just not the same as the problems of past generation things have gotten easyer in some areas but harder in other areas. And drugs, crime, and curuption are still around its silly to say people have it better now, no things have mearly changed drugs are still big business, people still can bearlly get by for verious reasons so there will be crime and government is still corrupt. The only thing that has chaged is we are in a beginning of a real information age now because of the internet and technology some things that were thought to be true wont hold up to the light, and there will be information overload. So no I dont think kids have it easyer today infact most wont have time to be kids. It's silly to think that because you walked some mileage to school that you had it harder when the whloe school system is hanging by a hair, in todays age. And what abouth drugs has it gotten better, nope infact its making more money and the drugs are different and stronger there is stuff out there that makes crack look like cigarettes, and just incase your thinking, well I live in a safe community my kids dont do drugs, you should really look at what your kids are taking, remember it's not a multibillion dollar business because a few missfortunets are buying it all, nope its regular people who are the main consumer, Remember drugs dont kill people its the circumstances of live for those that cant aford to buy there addiction to drugs that kills them. And government is still government. I mean to be rude remenising is nice and all but keep it on a personal level dont judge a whole generation by your past because its just that your past.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Remember when you used to have to make popcorn on those aluminum pie dishes that had a tinfoil cover? Yeah them right there were the days.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Remember those times back in the day when one income actually supported a family.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I remember the days before i found out about electronic mind control, in 1992 in school in uk. Yep i remember someone who could actually have a laugh with people.

Yep those where the days, those oh too short years, before i stumbled on this crime against my life.

At least i will never be bringing someone into this world.

[edit on 6/21/2010 by andy1033]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join