If You're 30 or older, You Might Find This is Hilarious!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Gotta love the computer game memories. No tapping your finger while it takes a whole 10 secs to load up.

The Commodore 64 took about 30 mins to load up Frogga,........... by tape. And that was super flash. I still remember cueing up to play Space Invaders behind about 50 other guys at the local pool.

And 20 cents was a lot back then. You could get 4 Aniseed Balls or 4 Boiled Lollies for 1 cent back then. Big sacrifice if you sucked at playing it like me.

42 now, so 50 in 8 years time. I cant be going on half a century, my mind simply can not get around the concept.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I would not want to be a kid today. There are desperate people in government and police trying to destroy any person they can with techs, and other things.

The amount of electronic techs these scum have today to destroy peoples lifes for no reason.

I would much rather have been born into a world where we lived on a farm and grew up that way, than scum like police dressing up as firemen putting cameras into peoples homes, disguised as smoke alarms.

I think its the other way round.

[edit on 3/19/2010 by andy1033]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Great OP

I used to work in a youth club and one day a group of kids accused me of envying them because they were young. Well I explained that I had my good times. We did not have AIDs, Herpes, Unemployment, we fought using our fists and the looser did not need to go home and get a knife or a gun, Big brother government only existed in in a sci fi book called 1994, We did not have grass that sent us nuts etc etc. When I finished my rant they looked crestfallen.

I have now reached my 50s and cannot believe that I got there. I still want to jump fences and climb trees any generally be silly for the hell of it.

I can remember being in my early forties and waking up having not shaved for a day – which was unusual for me. Anyway going to the mirror I seemed to have patches of grey dust on the lower part of my face. Imagine my shock when on closer examination in the shaving mirror I was looking at grey stubble.. Verily I am now a greybeard.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I'd give damn near anything to go back to the days of no responsibility and invincibility....I too resemble this post...sad...

nice OP :-p

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Very nice post it brings back alot of memories. I think evey generation has some things easier than the last, and some that are harder.

For instance i'm 33 now looking at all the things we have now as far as technology it is a thousand times better than when I was growing up and when I was growing up it was a thousand times better than when my parents were growing up.

Now here is a downside.. My grandfather on my mothers side died when she was 8 so my grandmother raised her by herself. She cut hair in the garage of there house and paid all the bills from what she made cutting hair which also paid for my mothers college. Money went alot farther back then. In todays world if you want to raise kids, send them to college and have a house, you better have both parents working, and they better both have good paying jobs. You can't just have one parent working cutting hair in the garage to pay for your house and send your kids to college.

It seems that technology has made certain things much easier for alot of people, but the cost of living is so much higher than our parents and grandparents it has made owning a home almost a thing of the past. Certain diseases that killed alot of people have been cured, and almost wiped off the face of the earth, but new diseases much stronger and harder to cure are now the new norm.

Do we have it easier? Yes for some, no for others. Does the new younger generation have it easier? Yes for some, no for others. It seems like the old saying is still true, "take two step forward, take one step back."

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The coolest part of my youth was my neighbor and I making go-karts. We would spend days on end designing this rather cool wood and steel 2 seater kart. we took into account areodynamics, general look, and of course push off/enterence points..it was seriosuly bad ass.

Then every weekend, we would go down the street to this dead end avenue with other neighborhood kids and race our karts down this absurdly large hill road leading to a dead end.

Then at dusk, we would all go home, broken kart in toe and blood all over our torn up clothes.

good times, good times.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
when i was a kid we had a little something called reefer and hurricane
# ipods

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have been following ATS for months now and after reading this post I had to join and comment on it. I'm 61 and it sure brought back some great memories.
I can remember going to a friends house because he just got a new TV game called "Pong" we played it for hours. Black and white , no color, 4 stations max. Thanks for the post.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I know this thread is meant to be light-hearted but, as usual, I have something to say that cannot wait.

Reading the OP email saddens me. It reminds me of when times were simpler, maybe not better, but simpler. At least we knew then what the rules were. Teenagers today don't because they change with the whim of political correctness. I am sad that I can't tow the party line when my 16 year old asks why some rules are in place. I can only tell him that we live in a society that should be governed by law - but is, more often than not, governed by political correctness instead - regardless of the legal standing of the "rules". I have to tell him that, in order to make sure that his future is protected, that he should follow these "rules" regardless.

We had it waaaaaayyyyy better than they have it now.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Wow! You're right! I DO have it great!

I tend to forget, but never take for granted. I'm just now becoming an 'adult', but I'm still fully capable of enjoying such luxuries as mp3 players and the internet as a young individual.

Good post. Thanks for reminding me!

But hey, I'd like to take a vacation on living without for a while. I'd be interesting to experience life from a less technological perspective.

[edit on 3/19/2010 by Psycontagious]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hey I'm 26 and this was pretty much my life growing up...
then again I did have the internet in High school so things were definitely easier there for me... Great read though! S&F

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
That post is hilarious! Thanks OP. Being in my fiddies, I can relate. I have a 9 year-old nephew. I love the kid like he's my own son. When I'm at their house, I get paranoid and over-protective if he goes for a ride on his bike or scooter, since he's had a couple wipe-outs and got skinned up pretty bad.

Yet when I was his age (or just a tad older) back in the 60s, my buddies and I had mini-bikes that did 35-40 mph, and we rode the things on the highway! I would never tell my nephew about that.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
While I see your views. I don't think growing up now is any easier, in fact I think it can be much harder for some people, because of more strict laws, the unsocial culture we have now, etc etc It's all about the individual.

And in a way I feel this thread is all about, hey my childhood was harder than your childhood! Wel my dad is cooler than your dad! It's like an ego thing. lol.

Anyway I think people around 23 grew up in both worlds, in early childhood it was like the old days you talk of, then later teen years is more like now.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The closest thing we had to texting was typing 55378008 into a calculator.
And then reading it upside down!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
While I see your views. I don't think growing up now is any easier, in fact I think it can be much harder for some people, because of more strict laws, the unsocial culture we have now, etc etc It's all about the individual.

And in a way I feel this thread is all about, hey my childhood was harder than your childhood! Wel my dad is cooler than your dad! It's like an ego thing. lol.

I know what you mean.
It's exactly what this thread is, it's about becoming your parents and telling your nephews, kids or neighbor kids how easy they have it and how hard you had it. We've all heard that speech from our parents or grand parents when we were younger, and now it's our turn to brag about how we had to write real letters and send them through the post office, then wait for a week for a reply.

As for the laws and culture, some of us had it easy back then, but consider such individuals as people of color, gay people, divorced people, and all those who had to hide and/or fear for their safety back then simply because they were of a different color or had a different sexual preference. It's more OK these days to express oneself and "come out of the closet". It may not be perfect, but it sure is better than it was back in the day.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
While I did not live during the 70's and early 80's... I can say that a lot of things are actually much harder in current times.

In the 70's... Say you got fired for smarting off to a boss. You go to the business next door and get a job. Nowadays you have to let them know pretty much everything about yourself including past work experiences, why you quit/were fired, etc.

Back then someone picked a fight with you and you stomped them. Now you would go to jail for defending yourself!

Some things get easier, some things get harder.

Times change.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_

As a matter of fact, we have it much harder then your generation dude, we're left with all your generation's trillions of debts and no job to pay them

And also I agree yes a kick in the ass hurts... but how bout you try surviving today's highschool... physical pain hurt... but it heals.... the mental pain some of these diabolical kids will make you go through will stick stick with you for awhile

Not MY generation!
I'm only 30! I haven't had time to screw this country up yet. That comes in the next 10 years, so be nice to me or I'll really make my mark.

I think high-school today is just as painful as it was in my day. Bullies will continue to exist, and they'll find new ways to mess with you. Of course now that the internet is around, I hear about videos being posted to YouTube to embarrass certain students. Instead of being local, now the embarrassment becomes international! I guess in that way it may be a little tougher.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

With respect to you _R4t_, I think every new generation believes they have it harder than the previous generation. That is the wonderful perceptions and "hardships" of adolescence. With regard to debt, let's face it, it's all smoke and mirrors! The problems I see with the newest generation of job seekers is that they aren't generally willing to do real, get your hands dirty work. I've heard some say that if you don't get a college degree and then score a high 5 figure salary shortly after graduation, you're basically hopeless.

Finally, every generation has endured the brutal psychological torment that is being a kid growing up in school. I don't believe that any generation is unique in that sense.

Ex Scientia Veritas

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I absolutely loved this post. That e-mail was the best laugh I've had in a while. It is so so true. I remember it pretty much just like that. I'll be 32 in May. Although I do remember a couple of cartoons after school when I was little. Anyhow, great post

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
About the only thing I take for granted right now is my health. Heheh.

Watch, I'll be 38 looking back on right now saying 'put that cigarette down you district attorney! Get up and do some sit-ups tubby!' (get it, DA? lol, nevermind)

Then I'll be 132 on an oxygen tank looking back on me 38 saying 'what're telling that girl? you're one to talk! you never did quit smoking!'

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, with the way things are changing so fast you'll probably be able to have multiple organ replacements so you can do whatever you want to your body. Who knows how things will change, though? What if we are living in a completely different universe where different types of matter react and change completely differently? What if you won't have to breathe oxygen anymore?

We might have ways of recording videos and audio directly from our brains so we won't have to create music and movies anymore using studios, and talent! Just copy things directly out of our imaginations!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join