It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Psychology of Hair.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Egyptians also wore wigs! they used to think it was more hygienic than having their own hair (almost all of them shaved their heads). The wigs were made out of animal wool (in the lowest classes) and human threated hair in the richest classes. It's a fact that not all people knows, but oh well, I study something so profond we had a course about that things. Lol fashion history

I want to be a redhead, i dyied my hair for like 3 years in the most unnatural red available, but now I'm letting my white hairs take a breath. My granpa went completely white head by 25, I have a bunch but not a complete white and I'm about to turn 26 =(... now I want a copper red, more natural, maybe a nice auburn...
and the dream of my life was having buttlenght hair... but then I discovered wigs
I LOVE THEM, I own a little collection of weird colour hair in a drawer

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Caggy]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I think hair is very much an ego thing.

I had dark loose spiral curls all the way down to my waist. Quite a bit longer than in my avatar.
I made a huge mistake, had a bunch of blond highlights put in. My hair wouldn't curl anymore and was tangling and falling out.

So, I just cut it. Into a long Chinese bob... I don't die it either, I've learnt my lesson.
It's shoulder length now, but I feel a whole lot different without my long hair.
It was me. And now it's gone.... It reminded me of my dad, he is Israeli. I never met him, so my curly long hair was something that constantly reminded me of him.

It will take 5 years to grow back.
But I'm suppose I'm happy in a way...I felt really fake with all the highlights. Like I was trying to be somebody else...?
I know I would never be able to have plastic surgery, I would just feel bad that I tried to alter myself.

Ya know what I mean?

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Regarding the male pattern baldness thing -- yep, it can be somewhat traumatic to loose your hair. My hair was pretty long, almost down to my elbows, and I cut it for a job. Turned out it was a job I was suited for, however shortly after that, my hair started to recede rapidly. I was 21. Having curly hair, I didn't think the bozo look was a good one, so I started shaving it and still do.

Hair gives a person a level of protection that people are often unaware of until their hair is gone, particularly for fumblefarts like me who seem to hit their head on everything.

I have a theory that hair doesn't actually recede........ what it does, is it grows inward and pops out other places. I can support this theory with evidence via the sudden emergence of ear and back hair. (ewwww!)

So why does the body need all this extra hair-loosing testosterone? I dunno. Design flaw, I guess, or perhaps [Theory #2] it's an evolutionary adaptation designed to make the human male peacock less attractive to the young females as the male gets older, thus tending toward keeping the poor ol' thang at home, tending to the offspring, rather than continuing to seek out mates.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

What a great thread! Me and another guy were actually discussing if wearing headgear like baseball caps can make you go bald in another thread and eventually come to the consensus that it could be a factor in going bald. I think we said that it has the same effect as wearing jeans all the time being that men seem to have less hair on the front of their thighs cos their jeans rub against it.

Several of my friends live in baseball caps and theirs is already starting to thin out!

On the unique headwear front I like my kinda sock looking beanie but only when I'm in the right mood for it (baggy clothes day-off kinda thing
)

I'm only 21 and I've had my hair red and blue (for the world cup) went swimming and it turned pink and green, jet black, with blond streaks, had a shaved head many a time when im sick of putting wax or gel on it...

It's looking a bit neglected at the minute though

[edit on 19-3-2010 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

What a great thread! Me and another guy were actually discussing if wearing headgear like baseball caps can make you go bald in another thread and eventually come to the consensus that it could be a factor in going bald. I think we said that it has the same effect as wearing jeans all the time being that men seem to have less hair on the front of their thighs cos their jeans rub against it.

Actually, I remember some studies years ago that made such a claim. it wasn't the hats per say doing it, but the blood being restricted to the scalp. Apparently tight fitting hats were the cause and not all hats. I don't know what the current belief on it is.

Personally i just want to let my freak flag flow long and natural like Jesus. Well, I would if I wasn't mostly bald and wasn't living in Texas.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Jinx I know exactly what you mean... sometimes I feel really disappointed afterwards if I've done something a bit mad with my hair.

Your hair in your avatar looks great though. My cousin can pull off long hair but I'd never dare, there's only a select number of men that can pull it off without looking homeless lol.

I know what you mean about ego too! Mine grows so quick its untrue but when I've got it how I want it I'm just like 'damn my hair is awesome'

It'd rival J.D from Scrubs!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

Yeah I think it was to do with cutting off blood flow to the scalp, I doubt beanies or wooly hats would ever do the same, the thing with leg hair is interesting though, when I saw that on Tv I kinda just slipped away to the bathroom to look and was like no way. I thought long and hard for an alternate explanation.

Best thing to do with going bald is shave the remainder short and take it gracefully, not end up with Homer Simpson thing going on!

I'm a lot more concerned with the state of my facial hair rather than on my head to be honest lol

[edit on 19-3-2010 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I think hair is a reflection of how healthy your are. I know it dies after a certain few inches from the scalp. Still, I have noticed that people who are generally ill either physically or mentally have very dull, dry hair.
I have been growing my hair for about 4 years now and use EXCLUSIVELY natural products. Not to boast, but I have gorgeous hair.

There are a couple of things that you can do to keep your man hair OP. Firstly, invest in a boar brush. Brush your hair with it everyday for like 10 minutes. It vastly improves blood circulation to the scalp, stimulating hair growth and unclogging hair follicles. It also spreads the natural scalp oil from the scalp down the hair shaft, giving you nice silky smooth hair.

Secondly DO NOT overwash your hair. It dries out the hair follicle and causes your scalp to produce too much serebum, which will make your hair greasy fast, try to wash less, til you can get it down to once a week or less. All conventional shampoos contain cancer-causing chemicals and drying alcohols. Not a good thing to be rubbing in to your skin (which is the largest organ in your body.

Thirdly. Good diet. Nuff said.

Lastly, magic potions. You can purchase several essential oils that will both stimuate hair growth and keep the hair you have growing in ex. condition. These are Rosemary, the best. Thyme oil, peppermint, lavender. You can also go to the spice cupboard! A strong tea of rosemary (just put abt a tbsp or rosemary in a cup and pour hot water on it, let it steep and cool), chammomile, peppermint thyme will do the trick as a rinse, or put it in a spray bottle with a dash of olive oil and spray directly on the scalp and massage in before a wash.
Henna also does a fantastic job keeping the hair healthy. It comes in clear and colors.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

Interesting question. It isn't something he would do, so if he did I would be shocked because it is so unlike him.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
To quote one of the finest British films ever made:

"I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight. "

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutantgenius
There are a couple of things that you can do to keep your man hair OP. Firstly, invest in a boar brush. Brush your hair with it everyday for like 10 minutes. It vastly improves blood circulation to the scalp, stimulating hair growth and unclogging hair follicles. It also spreads the natural scalp oil from the scalp down the hair shaft, giving you nice silky smooth hair.

oooh! thanks for all these suggestions! Hair can be really fun if one takes good care of it. I put a few drops of tea tree oil in my all natural thickening shampoo I use. Works like a charm. But I was looking for some new hair tools, and I think I might look into buying a boar brush. First they provide us with bacon, and now they make hair look better! Awesome!

Just a couple more suggestions for all the people out there. Scalp massages with something like aloe vera gel will give your scalp an orgasm. You can noticeably feel the difference after a 5 to 10 minute full scalp massage. Tingly!

Also, I like to give my hair words of encouragement. Hair is a lot like a plant. It needs nutrients and love in order to grow big and strong.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
I had dark loose spiral curls all the way down to my waist. Quite a bit longer than in my avatar.
I made a huge mistake, had a bunch of blond highlights put in. My hair wouldn't curl anymore and was tangling and falling out.

So, I just cut it. Into a long Chinese bob... I don't die it either, I've learnt my lesson.
It's shoulder length now, but I feel a whole lot different without my long hair.
It was me. And now it's gone....

I myself have had roughly the same hairstyle since 1st grade. Long brown, shaggy hair, surfer status, Not girl long, but the shaggy look that guys do, with the bangs, etc.

Since I grow it out, when i go and get a haircut, I feel like a part of myself is gone. You realize when you get a haircut you don't have to "flip" your hair out of your eyes. So yes, i know how it feels when long hair gets cut shorter. It's really weird.

I can also relate to getting my hair colored. I went through this weird phase in 10th grade where I dyed my hair with blonde chunks in it. I thought it looked good at the time. I noticed after about 3 or 4 of times of dying my hair that the blonde hair was extremely frayed and dry. I didn't like it anymore, so got all the blonde cut out and have been sporting my natural dark brown hair ever since. Feels so much better when you wear your own hair color, instead of dyeing it and killing your hair.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Two weeks ago I took an electric clipper, attached a #2 clipper attachment to it and buzzed off everything. My hair had always been long, to my shoulders and the bangs to my mouth and parted. I look like I just got run through processing at Erie County State Prison, but I gotta tell you, it feels amazing to be free of any self image that is directly affected by how my hair is doing from day to day.

It's about a 1/4 inch long, all over my head, and it honestly does look like #, but because it takes people only a minute or two to start losing interest in it, they start looking at other physical features. Like my eyes, or my mouth, or whatever else is more compelling than my 1/4" long hair.

I thought of shaving it, but then I'd be a slave to it, like I was to my good hair day - bad hair day situation. It helps that my wife likes this and I'm not out trying to procreate, but even if I was....I don't know....maybe I would've been more reluctant to do something so drastic. I'm pretty amazed at how much I don't care about the hair at this moment. I think that as long as I keep a prison cut, I'll be happy with it. As long as it has a dissident vibe, I suppose.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by NorEaster]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
Two weeks ago I took an electric clipper, attached a #2 clipper attachment to it and buzzed off everything.
but I gotta tell you, it feels amazing to be free of any self image that is directly affected by how my hair is doing from day to day.

I've told myself before that one day I should shave my head and go meditate and live on a mountain. I'm sure it would be a liberating feeling.

But, I'm not ready for that yet though. But in the future, I might consider.

Thank you for sharing your story.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
double post.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by dizziedame

THANK you, Dizzydame

A female family-member's hair began thinning drastically several weeks ago. Normally, she had very healthy and thick hair and took it for granted. Since the loss, she's been searching online for possible clues but suspected it was related to her deliberate weight-loss during the past several months

She does have breathing problems when sleeping, like most in the family. I've just contacted her to relay your information and she asked me to thank you. We would never have known about the relationship between sleep apnea and hair loss if not for you

Thank you again, very much

Of course this will only help women mostly.
Women can have hairloss for many reasons, nutrishment problems etc etc

But for men it's a natural genetic thing that is harder to control.
I'm still suprised scientists havent come up with a 100% cure to male hairloss lol.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illegal Alien
I used to be gorgeous with my long flowing golden locks. So much so, that if I'd been someone else, I'm sure I'd have turned gay if I saw me.

LOL.What the #? A bit conceited are we?

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brittany
It sounds cliche, but confidence is the key.

I have heard that all my life. I don't pretend to understand how women think... Pfft.... However, one thing that I have noticed is that a woman will avoid a man like the plague if she gets the slightest inclination that he is insecure about himself. I don't know if it's a mental shock for a woman or what, but I have noticed that all of my life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join