It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Thank-You Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
On my way home from work today I stopped to make a left turn and ended up partially blocking the sidewalk. Usually there are no people using this particular sidewalk, but on a rare occasion someone might be walking or biking by. I looked to the left and saw a bicycle approaching. I realized I was in his way, so I decided to put my car in reverse and back up to give him room to pass. As he was biking by, he looked over with a huge grin on his face and waved to say thank you. It felt good to do something decent, and it felt even better to see that the person showed appreciation for a decent act. It feels good to have done something positive, especially when it was observed and rewarded with something as simple (and yet so powerful) as a wave and a smile.

We always hear people complain. We ourselves find it easy to curse someone out, to become upset, to start hating someone we've never met. Usually I'm in the frame of mind where I'll start making a list of all the things I hate that people do, but today I think it's time to list all the things I appreciate that people do.

I'll start with some basic road rules, and if you have anything else to add to the list, if you want to thank people for doing this or that, feel free. Maybe it will inspire some of us to take your list into consideration. Who knows, maybe eventually it might help make the world a little bit better.

--------------------------------------------------

1.) Thank you for putting your turn signal on when you want to merge into my lane.

2.) Thank you for being patient and allowing me to merge into your lane.

3.) Thank you for not cutting me off.

4.) Thank you, pedestrian, for walking a little faster to allow me to turn before the light goes red again.

5.) Thank you for not merging into the fast lane when you know you won't keep up with the rest of traffic.

6.) Thank you for covering your mouth when you're sneezing in public.

7.) Thank you for performing your public service job with a smile on your face.

8.) Thank you for trying to resolve my issue as fast as you can.

9.) Thank you for being polite and helpful when I ask you a stupid question.

10.) Thank you for taking the time to give me a reasonable explanation.

11.) Thank you for not screaming at me when I've made an unintentional mistake.

12.) Thank you for being so helpful when you see that I can't handle all the responsibilities on my own.

13.) Thank you for trying to alleviate my stress by doing something nice for me.

14.) Thank you for not throwing trash out of your car window.

15.) Thank you for using the trashcan to get rid of your cigarette butts.

16.) Thank you for smoking away from me.

17.) Thank you for raising your kids to be polite.

18.) Thank you for teaching your kids to be tolerant.

19.) Thank you for teaching your kids to treat animals gently and with respect.

20.) Thank you for not cheating me out of my hard-earned money.

21.) Thank you for not abusing the system.

22.) Thank you for not overcharging me just because you can.

23.) Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

24.) Thank you for not spreading untrue rumors about me

25.) Thank you for keeping my personal matters confidential, and allowing me to trust you.

26.) Thank you for sticking your neck out and helping me when you see I'm being attacked.

27.) Thank you for cheering me up when you see I feel down.

28.) Thank you for not lying to me when you know you shouldn't.

29.) Thank you for treating me with respect.

30.) Thank you for listening and viewing me as a human being who counts rather than someone who's opinion doesn't matter.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have many more I could mention, but I figure I'll leave some for you to add. Maybe you want to thank people for something I haven't thought of before.

Sometimes it might feel like everyone is looking out only for themselves. Sometimes the world seems like a very selfish place. When thinking about all the people who have wronged us in order to gain something from it, it can be hard to have a positive outlook on this world and life in general.

I realize that many positive actions are a result of selfish behavior. Some people like to help others because it makes them feel good about themselves, but I'd rather live with that kind of selfishness as opposed to the kind that seeks to gain something from our destruction.

It is easy to be mean. It is easy to steal money rather than earn it. It is easy to beat someone into submission, so when I see people who struggle to make it in life by doing what's right, I feel a compulsion to give them a big THANK YOU for working so hard. These are the people who make life worth living. These are the people who make it a pleasure to be around them. These are the people who can turn a dark day into one filled with smiles and laughter.

So... in conclusion,...the next time someone is trying to turn into your lane, show some patience. If you see someone giving you room on the road to merge, don't forget to wave a thank you to show them you appreciate their kindness. Their positive actions deserve a reward, and usually all it takes is a smile, a nod, or a wave of the hand.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Thank you for posting a positive thread. So much cynasism here. It's nice to have someone be thankful for all the good things for a change.

Thank You.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this

Thank you for realizing beeing nice to others brings joy.

Thank you to beeing a part of the fight.

Thank you for not beeing ignorant.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Thanks for this positive and uplifting post 2manyquestions.
I'm on the road a large % of my day, and often come across rude and obnoxious drivers - sometimes just plain dangerous

However, on the occasion I come across an individual who thanks me for creating that gap for them to change lanes, and then gives me a hand up of appreciation, it takes away that bitterness in my mouth from the previous 100 jerks.

So, Thank You to all those courteous drivers out there who make the experience pleasant and safe

S&F from me

[edit on 18-3-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Thank you customer at work, for showing such appreciation for such a thankless job.

Thank you Takara Sake USA for making a great sake. I dont t drink much, but when i do i want to enjoy it.

Thank you Bank lady, for being so nice today.

Thank you cashier, for being helpful and patient

Thank you lady behind me in line, for being so nice and patient

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Thank you job, for letting me use ATS at work.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It was my pleasure to post it. Often I come to ATS, I read some of the political threads, and suddenly I feel enraged by what this or that politician has done. Although I find some of the threads fascinating and entertaining, it's not often that I find a thread that makes me feel good about the world . The closest ones to that are those in the science section. Sometimes we have to pause and realize that despite all the political madness and conspiracy theories, there is good around us too. I want to share this video I saw a couple of days ago that felt really uplifting and inspirational. It's a "60 Minutes" piece, and it's pretty amazing:

"Derek"

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Thank you Multiverse for everything good.

Thank you great Philosophers for making us think.

Thank you ATS members for being so good, open-minded, warm and loving people.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I am a bit suprised that this thread has not received more thank you's, so I will add my personal list.

First, I have a little background to share about myself.

I work as a sales agent in a call center who takes in-bound calls daily for a major cell phone company.

Here goes:

Thank you for not screaming and cursing at me because I am obligated to uphold a policy that my company has put in place that you do not agree with.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to sell you products that I make a commission from to improve my quality of life.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to work for a well renowned company that has enabled me to meet new people.

Thank you for giving me life so that I may experience this reality in my own way and continue to exist afterward.

Thank you for being considerate, and allowing me to enter the flow of traffic when it is rush hour and I need to get into a lane.

Thank you for returning your shopping car to the proper return location and not leaving it sitting in the middle of a parking spot.

Thank you for letting me get in front of you to get to the lane I need to be in when I have made a mistake and ended up in the wrong lane.

Thank you for washing your hands after you piss instead of just going about your day.

Thank you for your courtesy flush after you've done your business in the stall next to mine.

Being thankful feels so good, everyone should do it!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Thankyou for sharing.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Freppy

You're welcome. Thanks for participating!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Thanks to the guy at my board meeting tonight that asked all the stupid questions that I was just going to google later. He was awesome!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
What's next around here a warm and fuzzy feelings thread

I bet most of you, are caressing a cup of coffee with both hands and are wearing turtle necks.

SNF

[edit on 19-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Maybe yes!
With all the anger around here a fuzzy feelings thread would do some good.
I'm usually a very bitter and angry person, so this is extremely out of character for me. It could have been the "I Hate These People" thread, but I took a deep breath and used all my willpower to think positive for at least a moment. Just be thankful, would ya?

P.S. What a coincidence... I was sipping on a cup of coffee when I wrote it!
Maybe more people should drink coffee? Maybe YOU should have a cup!

[edit on 19-3-2010 by 2manyquestions]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Just be thankful, would ya?

Ok Ok, god you're killing me . I thank thee.
I do have alot to be thankful for now that I think about. Thank you God for ATS.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Just be thankful, would ya?

Ok Ok, god you're killing me . I thank thee.

You see? That wasn't so hard, was it? I knew there was hope for you yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I'm drinking tea hahahaha

oh well... thank you for make me feel comfortable with my weird things, ATS.
Thanks for you, the people on the streets, that let me go on singing and dancing without yelling at me every day

Thank you for laughing along with me, people of that certain cafe I love
thanks for everything you've done for me, my two best friends
and finally, thanks mom, for being alive.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caggy
I'm drinking tea hahahaha

oh well... thank you for make me feel comfortable with my weird things, ATS.
Thanks for you, the people on the streets, that let me go on singing and dancing without yelling at me every day

Thank you for laughing along with me, people of that certain cafe I love
thanks for everything you've done for me, my two best friends
and finally, thanks mom, for being alive.

Tea will do just fine. It's almost coffee.

I'd like to add that I'm thankful I was born with all my limbs. I'm thankful I live in a country where they're not shooting at me with AK47s or chopping my arms off with a machete, because that would make being an artist really tough for me.
I'm also thankful for ATS, because without it I wouldn't have realized just how screwed up the world really is.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Thank you to the people at the train station that gave me a warm, sympathetic look as I displayed my disappointment at having just missed my train.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Sympathy too goes a long way, doesn't it?
The words "Thank you", "Sorry" and "Please" just don't get around as much these days. I'm now determined to use them more often, and MEAN them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join