It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was Venus first seen?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Immanuel Velikovsky wrote a book called "Worlds in Collision" which focused on the origins of Venus as "having shot from the head of Jupiter". I have posted a secondary source which refers to Immanuel Velikovsky and actually provides some support for his theory. His book is fascinating and does give the possibility that it was Venus, and not Nibiru, Planet X, Wormwood, that caused the cataclysmic activity on our planet.

www.datasync.com...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

I believe it is important to keep the original intentions in mind of how these words and terms came to be and what they meant in their original context. To me, it's like unearthing a Rosetta stone to discover the true meaning of words.

The ancients worshiped the sun and the stars, so it is certainly no surprise that these "holy texts" (bible, quran, etc) are enormous allegories of celestial events. If there is any meaning to these books at all, it is to be found in the movement of the observable bodies in the sky.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thanks for bumping this thread. I will ask a question i have asked but no one has really answered.

What did the Mayans mean when they say the "Birth of Venus"? We all know that the Mayan Calendar ends on December 21, 2012, but few people know that the calendar 5th and final period started on August 11, 3114 BC.

That date, August 11, 3114 BC is the "Birth of Venus". Why would they start their calendar and call it the "Birth of Venus"?! AT the end of each period, the world is destroyed. Each Period lasts around 5000 years and their calendar goes back almost 26,000 years. Is it a coincidence that it takes Earth 26,000 years to go "around" the constellations?

The Mayans may have got their calendar from the Olmecs. Did you know that the Olmecs have built the largest monument on the face of the earth?

The Olmecs built the Great Pyramid of Cholula which has the total volume of 4.5 MILLION cubic meters... compare that to the Great Pyramid of Giza at 2.5 million.

Guess who helped build this Pyramid? Quetzalcoatl, who is associated with Venus.

There is something to Venus that the ancients knew about.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I understand from Daniel Srsa that Venus ONLY appears in the fifth Mayan cycle which started 3114 BC, this explaining why the Mayans referred to its birth. As to where Venus was before, it may have been a moon of Saturn or Jupiter and kicked out by Nibiru on its flyby.( Check out Anton Parks and his story 'Adam Genesis'.) Venus can be a nasty number : on its last transit (2004), there was considerable meteorite activity (check Rumourmillnews archives). Will Hart also has several articles about Venus' previous transits in previous centuries, the SECOND transit being the dodgy one. So watch out for 2012, especially with increasing earth changes.

mclinking

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mclinking

THANK YOU for the reply. Those are some interesting things i will have to investigate. Like i said awhile ago, i am fascinated with the Birth of Venus and the building of Newgrange. Newgrange, to me, seems to mainly built to calculate Venus. Maybe Venus was a new super bright "star" in which made very strange movements and they wanted to figure out what it was. Newgrange was built within 100 years of the time of the "Birth of Venus".

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Could there be a connection between the supposed appearance of Venus and the global change in Earth's calendar from 360 days to 365.24219?

No. The refinement of the calendars has nothing to do with the planets. It has to do with the people taking the measurements.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Velikovsky based his work on claiming that myths were history. He claimed they were not stories but factual accounts of events that happened. Using this method he creates an impossible cosmology.

The scenario created by V. fails to conserve momentum, conserve energy, or both. V. suggested that Venus somehow was ejected by Jupiter. He does not claim it was a comet. It appeared to the ancients to be a comet or so he claims.

The numbers do not add up and V.'s ideas are just wrong.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

The ability to determine longitude was not really possible in ancient times. Latitude changes were observed by the Greeks. I think it was Aristotle that knew that the stars appeared higher in the sky as you went south and so he concluded that the Earth was not flat. Erasthothenes learned that a well had the sunlight shine on the water at the bottom of the well at midday. It turns out that the well lies on the Tropic of Cancer. Knowing that a well in Greece dd not get lit up by the sun on that day he measured the angle of the sun and inferred that if the Earth were a sphere then this was the angle between the two wells. Someone was hired to march the distance and count steps. This was used to estimate the distance around the Earth.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

the problem i have with his theory is if earth was hit by Venus, why are Venus and Earth so round? that is my biggest problem.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Hancock is the pole shift guy. Guess what detailed geological research shows no pole shifts have occurred in the last 200 million years.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I was refering to Velinovsky right above if you are talking about that post. Hancock is the Pyramids are 10,000 years+ old guy.

Charles Hapgood and Rand Flem-ath are the pole shift dudes. I have books from both Hancock and Flem-ath

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

The names assigned to peoples is based on the things they leave behind. So if one culture makes red pots and someone discovers how to make black pots and then everyone switches we end up seeing red pots replaced by black pots. The red pot culture disappears and the black pot culture replaces it. To later on ask what happened to the red pot culture is asking the wrong question. The question is really why was a culture replaced?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Actually, Hancock picks up on Hapgood's idea and wrote the Fingerprint of the Gods in which he claims a pole shift. It has been clearly demonstrated that no pole shift was have occurred in the last 200 million years. That is not to say that a pole shift has not occurred. There is a study showing a pole shift at 800 million years ago. That study is being followed up with work to validate the claim and exclude other possible causes for the observed data.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Sorry, about all of the other responses as I worked my way through this thread.

It seems that the 2012 date for the end of the Haab calendar is probably wrong.

Too bad: Mayan calendar predictions revised, 2012 becomes 2220

It seems that the Haab calendar shows a connection to the planet Venus. When the predictions of Venus in the calendar were compared to the known positions of Venus a problem was detected. The fix was to have the Haab calendar end in 2220. That fixes the Venus data associated with the Haab calendar.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
In an effort to discuss more about Venus. I find it interesting that at first the Greeks did not identify the evening and morning stars as the same object. The same is true of the ancient Egyptians. The way we know this is that they gave separate names to these objects and later revised the names to identify a single object.

Maybe the reason that Venus is "missing" is due to it appearing to be 2 separate objects.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mclinking

The one thing we know for sure is that Nibiru does not exist. It is not possible because:

1. the highly eccentric orbit is unstable
  2. a planet sized object cannot be within 320AU of the sun
  3. kicking out a moon of Saturn would disturb the rings

The meteor claims and second transit appear to be dodgy as well.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The first post mentioned that the Sumerians knew about Venus. This comes right after mentioning the

Venus tablets of Ammi-Saduqa. These tablets were Babylonian, not Sumerian.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a mention of Venus earlier than the Venus tablets which are from around 1640BC.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
The first post mentioned that the Sumerians knew about Venus. This comes right after mentioning the

Venus tablets of Ammi-Saduqa. These tablets were Babylonian, not Sumerian.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a mention of Venus earlier than the Venus tablets which are from around 1640BC.

I'll reply to your other posts later, but i wanted to mention this before i go to bed.

Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas think that Newgrange was built mainly to calculate Venus. They claim that instead of mainly being built to observe the Winter Solstice, it was mainly built for Venus. I believe they claimed that the Winter solstice light did not align exactly perfectly straight with the stone at the end of the tunnel. It was off by a couple of feet. They thought this was strange and i believe they claim that the light from Venus lies directly in the middle. I have Uriels Machine and i will check this out tomorrow.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

a thought:

- ESA states that the ions in the Venutian ion tail are in the exact proportions to water (hydrogen and oxygen)

- cometary tails are known to spiral

- water is also known to spiral, while on Earth. there are lots and lots of spirals in ancient times.

- comets are seen as portents of doom in antiquity

- venus is always associated with water

- there are myriad stories of floods in antiquity, many seemingly implausible

- there are signs that support the "expanding earth" theory.

It seems that there is a lot of circumstantial evidence supporting a large transit of water/water vapor being attributed to Venus, and supported by ESA data.

ETA: the symbology of Venus as a female is interesting. During a birth, a womans water breaks. I know, its a stretch...but if we are questioning why Venus is female, in the context of the above....

[edit on 9-5-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

- cometary tails are known to spiral

Can you tell us more about this? I don't believe that comet tails form spirals.

- there are signs that support the "expanding earth" theory.

Can you provide any incite into this, because as far as I know this theory was abandoned decades ago.

It seems that there is a lot of circumstantial evidence supporting a large transit of water/water vapor being attributed to Venus, and supported by ESA data.

I don't see that any of this data suggests a transfer of water to the Earth from Venus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join