It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was Venus first seen?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hello all, this is my first thread! I am fascinated with the planet venus and have a few questions on this for future threads.

First, some fun Venus facts!

• Venus is the brightest object in the sky besides the sun and our moon
  • it is sometimes called Earth's "sister planet" because they are similar in size, gravity, and bulk composition
  • A younger Venus is believed to have possessed Earth-like oceans
  • known as the Morning Star and the Evening Star
  • Venus can be so bright it casts shadows. The Knights Templar / freemasons knew this and built it into the Rosslyn Chapel.
  • Every 8 years, earth and venus "kiss" each other. This is called conjunctions. If you look at the image below, you can see each kiss plotted out will make a pentagram.
  • the 584-day average interval between successive close approaches to the Earth is almost exactly equal to five Venusian solar days.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/cbd8957442f95624.gif[/atsimg]

My first question is when was Venus first observed?

Mayans and Venus
We know that the mayans were super obsessed with venus:

The Maya began their Long Count on what they referred to as the ‘Birth of Venus.’ Scholars have never been able to determine what the Maya were referring to and neither have alternative researchers. Nevertheless their sacred calendar, the Tzolkin, placed the synodic cycles of Venus in a central role. The 104-year ‘Venus Round’ cycle (2 Calendar Rounds of 52 years each), was a very important ceremonial event as this was the point in time when the solar and sacred calendars realigned with the cycle of Venus.

So the beginning of this ancient calendar started with the "birth of venus? It is interesting to note also that the transit of venus, which has happened only 5 times in the last 500 years (and also happens in pairs, 8 years apart) will happen again in 2012. It is too bad the transit doesn't happen on December 21st, it will hapen June 5th. Link 1 & 2

There is so much more to the Venus story and mayans AND mesoamericans but that is for another thread.

Babylonian version of Venus - link 3

Venus tablet of Ammisaduqa - The Venus tablet of Ammisaduqa recovered from the library at Nineveh, is a 7th century BC cuneiform tablet that bears much older (Bronze Age) records of the rise times of Venus and its first and last visibility on the horizon before or after sunrise and sunset in the form of lunar dates.

So the Mesoamericans and the Sumerians were well aware of Venus in ancient days. Also the Hindus were aware of it, along with the Egyptians.

Native americans view: link 4

They viewed Venus differently depending on when it appeared. As the morning star it was good, and as the evening star it was feared because it represented the underworld.

Newgrange's Groovewar people & Venus:

Newgrange, which was built in 3200BC, had venus in mind. Every 8 years the light from venus could be seen inside Newgrange.

---------------------------

So there is a little background on Venus, keyword LITTLE. There is so much to be learned about the planet and i am fascinated with how much the ancients were fascinated with it.

My first question, which i will state again, is when were humans first recording records of Venus?

From this basic research, it seems that the newgrange site is the first to really keep track of Venus. I have read the Book of Hiram which talks heavily about Venus and i was wondering if anyone else has read this. You can read a summary here:
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Read more here:
link 1: www.lunarplanner.com...
Link 2: en.wikipedia.org...
Link 3: www.absoluteastronomy.com...
link 4: ancientx.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is all very fascinating to me. If newgrange was the first site to really keep track of Venus, it opens up a lot of questions.

If the date of creation of newgrange is true, that is from around 3200BC isn't that amazing that within a person who created newgrange's lifespan could have somehow influenced the mayans? Their calendar began in 3114BC! That is very close!!!!!

Also consider that the Mesoamericans and south americans speak of white gods that traveled to them by sea and helped them in writing, agriculture, building and more!

Any thoughts on this?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Interesting post as Venus is also associated with Goddesses of Love in many cultures also. I do wonder why Venus has always been associated with love and Mars war? Is it the color the planets show to us on Terra?

All very interesting stuff.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Great first thread! And a very interesting question indeed. Look foreward to your subsequent posts/threads. One thing that comes mind is how we are so much more our of tune with the nights sky then our ancestors due to light pollution. Have you ever seen a clear sky with no lights for miles? It's breathtaking!

-E-

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
thanks for the replies you two! Sadly i have not seen the stars how they should be seen. I recently started working for a travel agency that focuses on cruises so i will soon be seeing the night sky in the middle of no where!

Venus is truly amazing. I think there is something very important regarding the planet. There are endless areas to study and research.

Two of my favorite non-planetary Venus topics are the ancient statues found in europe, all of them have the Venus name associated with them. Also the Venus Fly Trap is fascinating, it seems to me like a mix of plant and animal.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
Have you ever seen a clear sky with no lights for miles? It's breathtaking!

Ahh my friend - breathtaking indeed.

I live literally in the middle of no where - if I want to eliminate light pollution - I turn off my yard light.

I have a small portable telescope that the kid and I use quite often.

One the coolest things in the world is to get a 10 year old girl to stare at Venus, Mars or Saturn and say "WOW - THAT IS THE COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!"

I know those moments will vanish with the teenage years, but our nightscape has produced some pretty awesome memories for child and parent alike.

Dorian Soran

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Dorian Soran]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

The transit of venus happens precisly where the galactic alignment will appear it is also where the winter solstice occurs. If you can make it to the southern hemisphere, you could catch a very good view.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
One day we might be able to terraform venus. Not an easy task by any means but within the realms of the possible.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That is pretty interesting, i haven't heard much about that.

It is fun to think of humans living on mars or venus. It makes me wonder if some form of humans were living on either planet.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

The transit of venus happens precisly where the galactic alignment will appear it is also where the winter solstice occurs. If you can make it to the southern hemisphere, you could catch a very good view.

ummm wow.. this sounds like the most amazing site to see!?!? Is this going to be a very big deal? I do photography, i may have to shoot this!

[edit on 19-3-2010 by BeastMaster2012]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

When was Venus first seen?

About 600 million years on a wednesday night in august, by a dinosaur taking a dump....about 8 o'clock!
*shrugs*

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I don't think there's any need to think that there's any interculture influence being evidenced by the Newgrange site. The question the OP is leading us to is more along the lines of "did Venus not exist before this time?!" We can see Venus easily with the naked eye, so the mayans didn't need anyone to point it out to them.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
thanks for the replies you two! Sadly i have not seen the stars how they should be seen. I recently started working for a travel agency that focuses on cruises so i will soon be seeing the night sky in the middle of no where!

Venus is truly amazing. I think there is something very important regarding the planet. There are endless areas to study and research.

Two of my favorite non-planetary Venus topics are the ancient statues found in europe, all of them have the Venus name associated with them. Also the Venus Fly Trap is fascinating, it seems to me like a mix of plant and animal.

There is another member here that has a very interesting theory on Venus. "The real antichrist" is his name (don't be scared by the name). Anyway I should try to find a link to his threads, but it is basically called the Unitary Planet theory. It states that all the planets are basically one planet in different phases of history. In other words Earth is Venus or Venus is a very young earth. At some point in time Earth gets struck rendering it into mars and so on and so forth out.

I really do his theory no justice and will try and find a link to his posts, but none the less thought it was "out of the box", though it is in a box sorta speak.

Peace

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
right, i dont think the mayans needed help seeing it. Like i mentioned it is bright enough to cast a shadow.

I am wondering why was it important to track Venus for the ancient civilizations?

Also, what does the "Birth of Venus" mean? That is the big question. What happened 3114 BC that caused the "Birth of Venus"? There are no theories out there and i find that strange.

The Maya began their Long Count on what they referred to as the ‘Birth of Venus.’ Scholars have never been able to determine what the Maya were referring to and neither have alternative researchers. Nevertheless their sacred calendar, the Tzolkin, placed the synodic cycles of Venus in a central role.

This is what i want to talk about.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Here are words Etymologically tied with venus...

www.etymonline.com...
Venus Look up Venus at Dictionary.com
O.E., from L. Venus (pl. veneres), in ancient Roman mythology, the goddess of beauty and love, especially sensual love, from venus "love, sexual desire, loveliness, beauty, charm," from PIE base *wen- "to strive after, wish, desire, be satisfied" (cf. Skt. vanas- "desire," vanati "desires, loves, wins;" Avestan vanaiti "he wishes, is victorious;" O.E. wynn "joy," wunian "to dwell," wenian "to accustom, train, wean," wyscan "to wish"). Applied by the Romans to Gk. Aphrodite, Egyptian Hathor, etc. Meaning "second planet from the sun" is attested from late 13c. (O.E. had morgensteorra and æfensteorra). The venus fly-trap (Dionæa muscipula) was discovered 1760 by Gov. Arthur Dobbs in North Carolina and description sent to Collinson in England. The Algonquian name for the plant, titipiwitshile, yielded regional Amer.Eng. tippity wichity.

venial Look up venial at Dictionary.com
c.1300, from O.Fr. venial, from L. venialis "pardonable," from venia "forgiveness, indulgence, pardon," related to venus "sexual love, desire" (see Venus).

venereal Look up venereal at Dictionary.com
early 15c., "of or pertaining to sexual desire or intercourse," from L. venereus, from venus (gen. veneris) "sexual love, sexual desire" (see Venus). Used of sexually transmitted diseases from 1650s.

venom Look up venom at Dictionary.com
early 13c., from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. venim, from V.L. *venimen, from L. venenum "poison, drug, potion," perhaps ultimately connected to venus "erotic love" (see Venus), in which case the original meaning might have been "love potion." The meaning "bitter, virulent feeling or language" is first recorded c.1300.

continued...

Quoting External Sources - Please Review This Link

[edit on Tue Mar 23 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Quoting External Sources - Please Review This Link

Sorry for the lag, had some things to do.

Peace

[edit on Tue Mar 23 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

My first question is when was Venus first observed?

This is a very good question and one might be able to find evidence that the planet Venus was first observed in fairly resent history.

I had always thought, as we were told, that all of the planets have been in their present orbits for around 4.5 billion years therefore I considered the planet Venus to be very boring for astronomical study. That was until I read a thread here on ATS about Venus possibly once having been a comet. It was from the research I did on this question that I quickly found Venus to be far from boring. Some of what I learned is posted in the thread, "Was The Planet Venus a Comet?"

The orbital mechanics of Earth/Venus resonance and tidal locking now has made it one of the most interesting planets for study in my opinion. Not only does Venus align with Earth 5 times every 8 years to create a pentagram as you have pointed out,
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86b75318359f.png[/atsimg]
the same side faces Earth during each of these synodic alignments (or inferior conjunctions), "Venus Tidal locking", and it nearly realigns back to the original position (off by 2.44 days).

This Earth/Venus synodic pentagram (8 years) slowly advances clockwise by 2.44 days which is commensurate with Venus' rotation (also clockwise in just over 243 days) in a very predictable transit recurrence cycle of 243 years. A complete realignment of these transit cycles takes 1215 years (243 x 5=1215).

I have a hard time thinking that these commensurate orbital/rational cycles between Earth and Venus are just a coincidence (2.44 days- 243 days- 243 yrs). The discrepancy between 2.44 days and 2.43 is due to another motion between these two planets, the slow migration of the orbital nodes which cause Venus to transit the Sun.

Here are some more fun facts about the planet Venus;

• Venus is the closest planet to Earth.
  • Venus has an ion tail similar to comets that touch the Earth during transits.
  • Venus has no magnetic field protecting its atmosphere from the Sun's solar wind yet this atmosphere is 90 times more dense than Earth's.
  • The surface of Venus appears to have undergone a global resurfacing in the recent past.

The connection between Venus to ancient myths, culture, calendars and apocalyptic events is staggering. The planet Venus seems to have been associated in a very big way to an unveiling of sacred knowledge yet today we regard all of this as pseudo-science or superstitious nonsense.
Could there be a connection between the supposed appearance of Venus and the global change in Earth's calendar from 360 days to 365.24219?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino
[The connection between Venus to ancient myths, culture, calendars and apocalyptic events is staggering. The planet Venus seems to have been associated in a very big way to an unveiling of sacred knowledge yet today we regard all of this as pseudo-science or superstitious nonsense.
Could there be a connection between the supposed appearance of Venus and the global change in Earth's calendar from 360 days to 365.24219?

Yes, the connection between the ancients and venus is really amazing.

You know what pisses me off the most about this whole venus situation? KNOW ONE is talking about it! I go to the book store and there are zero books on Venus! Sadly i have been pushed to the wacky new age section for some of my research because scientists don't find venus "interesting" enough to investigate?!? What the hell!

I wonder if the church and the bible has any clues that can help us? After all, SATAN is named after Venus..

Lucifer is a Latin word (from the words lucem ferre), literally meaning "light-bearer", which in that language is used as a name for the dawn appearance of the planet Venus, heralding daylight. Use of the word in this sense is uncommon in English, in which "Day Star" or "Morning Star" are more common expressions.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

I do wonder why Venus has always been associated with love

Simple! Because you can be burned and crushed by it!

IRM

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

It is pretty amazing. There are images posted of the 2004 transit of venus passing in front of the sun online.The best view would be down near equador or Chile, where you can also view the galactic alignement.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join