It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will 2012 lead to a new Cult

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
1843 was a year subject to wild end time prophecies which eventually led to both the Seventh Day Adventists, and Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The 1843 date was then changed to 1844. All the prophecies and significance given to 1884 (, later changed to 1914 by the Jehovah witness,) where then changed in order to pretend that the prophecies where actually occurred.

The crushing legalism and elitism of Adventism still burdens families to this day with contradicting and overbearing doctrines, along with compulsory tithes.

Many modern families have sacrificed their children to "god’s visible organisation on earth".
Will the wild 2012 prophecies lead to the same pattern of expectation, disappointment, wilful ignorance and then a blossoming blind obedience?

I hope that this is not something which could easily happen in this modern internet age, but if you do come across any specific 2012 predictions it might be an idea to record the exact statements BEFORE 2012, because they will probably all be postponed, edited, reinterpreted etc.

Hypothetically For example a pre 2012 statement might read "in 2012 Jesus Christ the "stone [that] was cut out without hands" (Dan 2:34) will return to earth physically." Where as the post 2012 statement might read "In 2012 Jesus Christ reincarnated physically as a stone." Hence giving way to a cult that swears by the veracity of the 2012 date. Just as the SDA and JW's still hold to the significance of completely insignificant dates in which nothing happened.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Probably, im not sure about a reall cult with a mountian compound with kool aid and everything but it for sure has its believers. Just for fun try to dig up the old Y2K threads and see what everyone was saying then.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I think there already is.

let all those people who cry wolf get an afterlife if they want to.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm sure there are 2012 cults right now sitting and waiting. For every event there's a cult. My favorite so far is the group who cut off their testicles to ride the comet. Heavens Gate I believe it was.

You don't even really need an event or a reason. Just a charismatic nut job and some sad people to jump on board.

I could probably get one together this afternoon if I could control my laughing.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Probably it will/has lead to new cults popping up. I agree with Grey Wolf on this, let them have their fun.

I'm more concerned for the regular people that are genuinely disturbed by this and will dive deeper into the depths of madness as the date approaches. Not only are they doing harm to themselves but who knows what harm they might be capable of to others come November 2012.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
You know, I'm gonna call this one. There will be a 2012 cult, centered around some one claiming to be Quetzalcoatl ,returned from the stars as he promised our Aztec ancestors. Jest a hunch.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
You know, I'm gonna call this one. There will be a 2012 cult, centered around some one claiming to be Quetzalcoatl ,returned from the stars as he promised our Aztec ancestors. Jest a hunch.

I could see that!

Hmm. a cult, well i heard there is going to be a new 3rd party in america by then. but a cult, well depends, what kind of cult do you think.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by togetherwestand]

[edit on 18-3-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well The SDAs and JW's have gotten so big because they borrowed off of a well established "Christian" following. I don't think many people give a great deal of credience to Quetziquatyl (Sp) now adays.

I have heard a rumour that high ups in the Mormon church did some investigation into quetziquayl So I could perhaps see a radical off shoot of Mormonism forming in utah around the concept.

Certainly their will be numerous New Agers and Shamans doing crazy things. (Burying Golden Penis's along lay lines, Jumping around dressed like birds etc.)

But these things are usually a never ending string of pervasive fads, whereas an SDA, JW scenario can plant a small seed which slowly grows over the centuries into a hideous beast.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by StopComplaining]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Can anybody tell me what date the JW's are predicting at the moment?
40 years ago they were dropping heavy hints about 1976, which they were calculating as 6000 years after the Creation.
Have they got onto the 2012 bandwagon? The argument used to be "within a generation of 1914", so I suppose they could reinterpret that as "within a century".

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Actually I remember after studying JWs rather extensively I wondered whether they wouldn't predict the end of the world 2015 because it is 40 years after 1975, but I can't remember Why I would think that.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by StopComplaining

I don't think 2012 will lead to any new cults, although I'll never say never. 2012 will come and pass just like any year, maybe with a few riots started by the more gullible people who believe in the Hollywood version of 2012.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I think 2012 will be tremendously significant because of the very fact that nothing will happen.

I think Tom Horn has done a good job documenting all the prophecies concerning 2012 in his book "Apollyon 2012". I think it will be somewhat like the incident with Micaiah in IIKings. There will be all sorts of people with wild predictions. When nothing happened they will hopefully be blown away like chaff.

The problem however, is that false predictions were the impetus that started the Millerites, Mormons, JWs, SDA's, and many other cults so you can't be certain.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Well considering that Scientology is still in existence then yes it most certainly can and just looking around at the multiple threads on 2012, it most certainly will.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by StopComplaining
reply to post by DISRAELI

Actually I remember after studying JWs rather extensively I wondered whether they wouldn't predict the end of the world 2015 because it is 40 years after 1975, but I can't remember Why I would think that.

Actually I think it had something to do with the original prophecies supposedly conforming to the dimensions of the great pyramids, when they didn't come true the prophecy was changed due to miss-measurements. But I think now-a-days JWs are too embarrassed to even admit that the original prophecies where based on such absurdity.

top topics

join