It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 km Asteroid hits Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Interesting video showing what has happened 6 times before in Earth's history.

We're all living on a large rock falling round the centre of mass between the Sun & Earth, i.e. the Sun, with tens of thousands of other rocks of different sizes (some much larger, some much smaller). Some of these tend to get in each others way every once in a while. Multiply that by the billions of solar systems, and assuming these are around one in 500 million year events for the Earth (and our solar system is fairly common for the amount of debris leftover), that means these type of collisions occur many many times a year somewhere in the universe, perhaps right now a planet is being hit by a large asteroid and extinguising the conditions for life as we know it.

If anyone believes in god, your god is one wacky being for wanting to produce such chaos and then place life in the middle of it? Why do you desire for there to be a creator without the evidence of one.. and assuming one exists, who obviously enjoys observing chaos and destruction within planetary systems.

We could also add gamma-ray bursts, supernovae, galaxy collisions etc into the destructive equation.

Is your god ever going to be happy with his creation? 6 days of creating, but 14 or so billion years of destructive tinkering! Let me know when he's finally done!

[edit on 17-3-2010 by john124]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Maybe it's like when you play the sims and you get bored... so you make one of those storms come, or an earthquake... even the UFO come down and destroy a bunch of stuff just for fun. From what I've gathered ... god isn't always that nice.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

Maybe it's like when you play the sims and you get bored

If the sims world were a reality in another universe, and we were unaware our clicks were causing harm them.

... so you make one of those storms come, or an earthquake... even the UFO come down and destroy a bunch of stuff just for fun.

Humans enjoy causing destruction, even if only on a computer screen, we often find it fun.

god isn't always that nice.

If god exists, he's not that different from us humans.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by john124]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
All of that ended up being simply a soapbox for you to go on an anti-religion rant about? Maybe this belongs in the Conspiracies in Religion forum, though personally I feel the trash bin is a better destination for an obvious trolling thread such as this.

And just because I feel generous, I will answer your question for you…
The Earth was “without form and Void” before the current world existed, and God will return the world to being “without form and void’ when our time here is done (This is expressly stated in the Bible, BTW). There is nothing in the Bible that states this has not happened repeatedly before our currant world existed. The reasons are only known to God, and may not be understandable to a human who cannot see the bigger picture from Gods perspective.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Pretty videos. Too bad that there is no evidence for what is proposed in those videos.

We're all living on a large rock falling round the centre of mass between the Sun & Earth, i.e. the Sun, with tens of thousands of other rocks of different sizes (some much larger, some much smaller). Some of these tend to get in each others way every once in a while. Multiply that by the billions of solar systems, and assuming these are around one in 500 million year events for the Earth (and our solar system is fairly common for the amount of debris leftover), that means these type of collisions occur many many times a year somewhere in the universe, perhaps right now a planet is being hit by a large asteroid and extinguising the conditions for life as we know it.

Read the above link.

If anyone believes in god, your god is one wacky being for wanting to produce such chaos and then place life in the middle of it? Why do you desire for there to be a creator without the evidence of one.. and assuming one exists, who obviously enjoys observing chaos and destruction within planetary systems.

We could also add gamma-ray bursts, supernovae, galaxy collisions etc into the destructive equation.

Is your god ever going to be happy with his creation? 6 days of creating, but 14 or so billion years of destructive tinkering! Let me know when he's finally done!

[edit on 17-3-2010 by john124]

Ahh so now we reach the meat of the post. You have an intense dislike for God.

I happen to think that everything is in God's plan. If something were to hit the earth, it is because God set it in motion to happen when He was creating the universe. Everything according to God's plan. God is not random and chaotic. That is human. God is precision and perfection.

No star or flag . . . but thanks for the pretty videos, even if it is BS.

[edit on 3/18/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

You set your eyes on chaos.
And I see Order where Chaos tempts.
You set your heart on pride.
And I hope in Charity when Pride tempts.

You will go where you set your eyes.
You will live as you hope.

I urge you to be thankful for even the smallest good rather than place blame for what would be constant (death) except for the longsuffering of Life.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

All of that ended up being simply a soapbox for you to go on an anti-religion rant about?

Actually the fascinating simulation of an asteroid hitting the Earth is a lot more interesting, hence the title of the thread.

Maybe this belongs in the Conspiracies in Religion forum

No, because it's nothing to do with actual religious beliefs. Rather, it's the assertion that religious people often deny the obvious reality of our universe and its often destructive nature, just because the sun is shining and birds are singing outside their home on planet Earth.

, though personally I feel the trash bin is a better destination for an obvious trolling thread such as this.

Haha, it's common that believers in god tend to shy away from science because they fear the known may scare them. After all the bashing of science on religious threads, why would I shy away from giving my opinion on religious beliefs.

Ah well yes, these questions are relevant questions.

The Earth was “without form and Void” before the current world existed, and God will return the world to being “without form and void’ when our time here is done

And the proof of that is where?

(This is expressly stated in the Bible, BTW).

I prefer reality than stories.

There is nothing in the Bible that states this has not happened repeatedly before our currant world existed.

I'm not trying to debunk the bible, that has already been done.

The reasons are only known to God, and may not be understandable to a human who cannot see the bigger picture from Gods perspective.

I tend to see this "bigger picture" as a "smaller picture" part of a narrowly focussed belief that god is great when any such creator is apparently as flawed as humankind playing Sims.

Attributing something as non-understandable to a human, and asserting that you understand it in order to make the assertion that nobody else does, is laughable. Thanks for the early morning laugh.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dasher

I urge you to be thankful for even the smallest good rather than place blame for what would be constant (death) except for the longsuffering of Life.

Of course I'm thankful of things that bring happiness in life. Being aware of a greater destructive nature of the universe doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the good stuff. Extinction of a species by an asteroid impact can bring about an opportunity for other species to later emerge as dominant, but that would be unlikely to happen in every single case.

Instead of worshipping an invisible entity, I prefer to be aware of events in the universe that we can study or investigate, whether good or bad.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

reply to post by defcon5

All of that ended up being simply a soapbox for you to go on an anti-religion rant about?

Actually the fascinating simulation of an asteroid hitting the Earth is a lot more interesting, hence the title of the thread.

So you pulled a bait and switch, in other words.

Maybe this belongs in the Conspiracies in Religion forum

No, because it's nothing to do with actual religious beliefs. Rather, it's the assertion that religious people often deny the obvious reality of our universe and its often destructive nature, just because the sun is shining and birds are singing outside their home on planet Earth.

Really now?

Besides the video, all I see is a rant about God.

And again . . . everything in the universe has its place and its reason. From our view, it may look chaotic. From God's view, it is like clockwork.

, though personally I feel the trash bin is a better destination for an obvious trolling thread such as this.

Haha, it's common that believers in god tend to shy away from science because they fear the known may scare them. After all the bashing of science on religious threads, why would I shy away from giving my opinion on religious beliefs.

There is no science here, John.

There is no evidence of a 500km asteroid hitting Earth six times.

Your video state that it wipes out all life forms . . . how are you and I posting here, if our ancestors (whether they be amoebas, fish, monkeys, or humans)were wiped out 6 times over?

quote]

Ah well yes, these questions are relevant questions.

The Earth was “without form and Void” before the current world existed, and God will return the world to being “without form and void’ when our time here is done

(This is expressly stated in the Bible, BTW).

Do you have proof that it is not real?

There is nothing in the Bible that states this has not happened repeatedly before our currant world existed.

No it hasn't. In fact, the Bible has been proven time and time again to be correct.

The reasons are only known to God, and may not be understandable to a human who cannot see the bigger picture from Gods perspective.

I tend to see this "bigger picture" as a "smaller picture" part of a narrowly focussed belief that god is great when any such creator is apparently as flawed as humankind playing Sims.

Attributing something as non-understandable to a human, and asserting that you understand it in order to make the assertion that nobody else does, is laughable. Thanks for the early morning laugh.

Huh?

[edit on 3/18/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Pretty videos. Too bad that there is no evidence for what is proposed in those videos.

You're missing the point. These events will happen in other planetary systems as well. We are still in danger of smaller asteroids hitting us with devastating effects. If I had posted a simulation of a smaller asteroid hitting the Earth, say around 10km, the point made still stands. But I posted this because of its stunning effects, and it being a video I had not seen before.

You have an intense dislike for God.

How can I dislike an entity that I do not believe exists.

I happen to think that everything is in God's plan. If something were to hit the earth, it is because God set it in motion to happen when He was creating the universe. Everything according to God's plan. God is not random and chaotic.

If you truly believe god is planning out everything that happens in the universe, then you should pay close attention to subjects like Astrophysics because that is where you would actually see those "plans" in action.

. God is precision and perfection.

I guess you'll continue to believe that even though the evidence heavily contradicts your assertion.

No star or flag . . . but thanks for the pretty videos, even if it is BS.

If I only cared about stars and flags, I'd stick to sarcastic quips, and always agree with the crowd.

Interesting how somebody can believe in god without evidence, yet denies the obvious inperfection of our universe. Also interesting how religions use the word "universe" because before science showed that Earth isn't at the centre of the universe, you all believed stars were moving round the Earth.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

You are gracious to facts as you determine them, and ungracious to Life. Do not mistake your thankfulness to be alive (which is common to even the animals) with thankfulness to Life. Life is alive and is aware. It is not invisible, but it is unseen to the blind who are only thankful for what they judge serves them.

Life heals. Death tears down.
Truth remains regardless of observation or recognition.

More so, there is no point for you to tear down what you see as your adversary except that you fear it. Live as you would have others treat you. Live as though you believe what you are saying or you will keep exposing your own weaknesses as even the falsely religious do (and I'm sure you rightly hate the death they can often exude).

[edit to add - What you call imperfect is simply temporal as opposed to eternal. Life is eternal, and Truth is Life. These things do no rest on any one observation or recognition as does human understanding. While you see the end of life in the limits of this realm, I see the beginning of the next realm. You say I have no proof, and I look to life and see Life and wonder why you do not see what is evident. Give to your neighbor as you would like to be given to if you were in the same position and disposition.]

Please, let's leave this peaceably despite the harsh beginning you've brought.

[edit on 3/18/2010 by Dasher]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

So you pulled a bait and switch, in other words.

You were always free to enjoy the video without religious debate if you wanted.

Besides the video, all I see is a rant about God.

No, a rant outlining why I don't believe in invisible hands.

This is the first line of the OP:

The next whole paragraph of the OP doesn't mention god either, which is bigger than the 6 lines explaining why I find the lovable god concept, or any god concept, as absurd.

And again . . . everything in the universe has its place and its reason.

Cool, but how would that prove a creator?

From our view, it may look chaotic. From God's view, it is like clockwork.

That analogy doesn't even make sense and is way too simplistic.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dasher

You are gracious to facts as you determine them, and ungracious to Life.

That makes little sense. Being grateful of life doesn't mean you have to live in ignorance.

Do not mistake your thankfulness to be alive (which is common to even the animals) with thankfulness to Life.

So you can communicate with animals now as well as invisible creators?

Life is alive and is aware.

Not all life displays an awareness,

It is not invisible, but it is unseen to the blind who are only thankful for what they judge serves them.

You seem to be implying that you have to have faith before you're thankful of life, and only then you can see the "invisible". Now that is funny!

Please, let's leave this peaceably despite the harsh beginning you've brought.

It's your god that smashes rocks into flourishing habitats, and you call non-believers ungracious.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

I relent.
2nd line.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

There is no science here, John.

There is no evidence of a 500km asteroid hitting Earth six times.

It's a statistical probability, based on solar system formation. How do you think the Moon was formed....

Your video state that it wipes out all life forms . . . how are you and I posting here, if our ancestors (whether they be amoebas, fish, monkeys, or humans)were wiped out 6 times over?

No, I'm saying these collisions have the potential to wipe out the lifeforms that exist at the time. Life then emerges at seabed vents as before or microbes survive underground, whilst the majority of life perishes. Out of so many billions of star-systems, it's a statistical probability that is extremely likely to happen over and over again.

The purpose of criticising the belief in god is to find out if those who base their thinking based on faith would criticise a statistical approach that doesn't have direct evidence, but has lots of indirect evidence that exoplanet would suffer the same fate as planets in our solar system. The direct evidence of rocks hitting the Earth although is pretty overwhelming.

It seems, as usual, religious people fall into the trap of criticising an approach that uses logic, but because it might lack direct evidence, it's labelled a blasphemy (well even science with direct evidence is blasphemy for a while until society finally has to accept it). All whilst believing in a god, with neither direct or indirect evidence.

Do you have proof that it is not real?

No, I don't have proof that space-monkeys from Mars don't exist either.

Another typical mistake, expecting proof of a negative.

No it hasn't. In fact, the Bible has been proven time and time again to be correct.

The simple truth is, the bible has never proven god.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Yes, they were good videos, which is why I hate to see them being played off as ammunition to try and shoot down Religion, another topic that I very much enjoy. The two do peacefully coexist, dispute the attempts of some to try and disprove one with the other.

Maybe you can answer this from your video…

They state in it that the Earth was sterilized by those impacts, and the water was removed from the planet. So how exactly did life restart on a sterile, waterless planet?

No, because it's nothing to do with actual religious beliefs.

Then you should have kept religion out of the topic in this forum, this is the Fragile Earth Forum, not the “Anti-Christian Rant for Stars/Flags” forum.

Rather, it's the assertion that religious people often deny the obvious reality of our universe and its often destructive nature, just because the sun is shining and birds are singing outside their home on planet Earth.

You show your ignorance of Religion, and Science both. Religious people have always been catastrophists, while most scientists are uniformitarians. Up until recently Scientists have believed that the Earth was a mostly stable system with slow gradual changes, Religious people have always believe in rapid “End of the World” and “World Altering” events… Guess who is ending up being right… Again…

Haha, it's common that believers in god tend to shy away from science because they fear the known may scare them.

Obviously you don’t know me very well, as I have posted expensively on both topics for many years here. I enjoy reading on both topics, and again, I find parallels between the two both fascinating and numerous.

After all the bashing of science on religious threads, why would I shy away from giving my opinion on religious beliefs.

Take it to the proper forum then. Additionally, and I realize that this escapes many of you “Anti-Religious” People… Religion is one of the few things that is protected from you “Bashing” on…

Now with that said, please show me links to threads with Christians bashing on science the way that you just bashed on religion? Links, or it didn’t happen….

You just showed us scientific proof of such things, so I assume that you want the Biblical proof of such things:

Before the creation of the currant world:

Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

After the end of the world:

Jeremiah 4:23 - I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

As you may be aware from Extinction studies the Earth goes through this roughly every 26 million years…

Raup and Sepkoski that suggests an extinction event of some magnitude occurs about every 26 million years.

Here you go…

Raup and Sepkoski that suggests an extinction event of some magnitude occurs about every 26 million years.

In your wildest dreams it has…

The MAJORITY of the people on this planet disagree with you. You know what they call people who do the opposite of the majority?

abnormal :
A person or object that is not normal; Not conforming to rule or system; deviating from the usual or normal type; Of or pertaining to behaviour that deviates from norms of social propriety or accepted standards of mental health.

That is because you are trying to judge God from the perspective of Man, which you cannot do. You, or even I, cannot see things from Gods perspective because we are not God.

God is no respecter of man, and why should he be, he is our creator:

Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

..And tomorrow is promised to no man, even if they don’t feel that its fair:

Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

Attributing something as non-understandable to a human, and asserting that you understand it in order to make the assertion that nobody else does, is laughable.

I do not claim to understand God, but I understand that I do not always understand him, and why its impossible for a human to always understand him.

Thanks for the early morning laugh.

Don’t be laughing to hard, because its this type of rejection of God that brings about the wrath of God on man when the Earth is destroyed this final time around:

Revelation 14: 14-20
And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe. And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped. And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle. And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe. And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
just watched a show today where it's now believed that an asteroid doesn't even have to be extraordinarily large to cause a great deal of damage or world changing destruction.

something that needs to be watched out far more and to which better measures should be devised for the tracking and stopping of these near earth objects before they collide.

blaming it on God certainly won't help. yeah, there's a lot of bad in the world but there's also all the good. something that many don't want to see.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

In your wildest dreams it has…

The bible is bunk.

The MAJORITY of the people on this planet disagree with you.

That's a pointless statement because a significant number of people on this planet are athiests. If I were the only person, you'd have a fair point, but that's not the case at all.

The majority believing in god doesn't prove god's existence.

You know what they call people who do the opposite of the majority?

Yea that kind of nonsense might work in the US with peer-pressure to force others to buy into the god delusions, but I'm English and my country has a largely non-religious population. We have churches yes, and many folks may even have christian on record as their religion, but the majority simply don't go to church, and the majority of our kids find religious education at school pointless, which it generally is.

They state in it that the Earth was sterilized by those impacts, and the water was removed from the planet. So how exactly did life restart on a sterile, waterless planet?

The same process as before.... after several millenia the planet cools enough for liquid water to form, and undersea vents are ideal conditions for life to emerge. It isn't completely understood but don't get all false dichotomy and assume your guess is any meaningful than the infinite number of possibilities that remain unproven.

You show your ignorance of Religion, and Science both.

Please demonstrate where I've been ignorant of science.

I'm specifying my opinions on religion. After all, religious beliefs are all opinions, but I'm basing mine on observations rather than fantasies. Not choosing to completely interpret religion in a fantasy sort of way doesn't mean I don't see how you all fantasize.

Uniformitarianism is a rather simple term that becomes invalid when the observable universe has changing processes.

Science isn't about absolute certainties, and scientists can only work with the evidence we have otherwise science wouldn't be science would it!

Religious people have always believe in rapid “End of the World” and “World Altering” events… Guess who is ending up being right… Again…

The world has not ended.

Religions are the product of man, and man has always been savage. Religious perceptions of the world are from the eyes of savage tribes, and their scope is extremely limited to a perception of reality from the window of their house - happy god if it's sunny, and angry god if a storm approaches. Filling in all blanks with "god did it like clockwork", isn't opening the mind to wonders, it's living a pretence.

Ah yes every time a comet appears the world is nigh in medievil times, and led to religious cults committing suicide even in modern times. Guess they weren't right that time!..... Religions NEVER predict anything specific, and NEVER provide us with any useful knowledge. Generalised predictions such as war on the horizon are always bound to eventually come true because of religion itself causing the problems in the first place.

I always hear religious types predicting World War 3. Originally it was supposed to be 2006, and they were very very sure about it, and then it got put back to 2008, and then 2009, and then 2010. We don't need religious-extremists telling us that the world is fckd, and we certainly don't need somebody predicting war every month until it happens! Quoting bible stories for failed predictions only helps to proves the bible is bunk.

There's no evidence that the Earth itself will "end" anytime soon, but if you're referring to extinction of the human race as the end of the world, then it only proves my earlier point. Without the human race, the universe and planet Earth would go on just fine, and the next dominant species will do their thing.

The Earth will likely be disintegrated in 4 or so billion years, so hell yea if you keep predicting every day the end of the earth, you'll be right in 4 billion years give or take millions of years.

Up until recently Scientists have believed that the Earth was a mostly stable system with slow gradual changes,

Of course science has advanced significantly over the last century or so with the technological age. Religions have believed in all sorts of superstitious nonsense in the past, and cling onto the last glimmer of hope that even though the rest of their beliefs are false, hopefully god will exist.

Heard that Texas will soon be exporting creationism into science classrooms in the rest of the US..... your kids are going to be brainwashed and turned into mini-Palins. I bet you cant wait!

Take it to the proper forum then.

The majority of the OP isn't about religion.

please show me links to threads with Christians bashing on science the way that you just bashed on religion? Links, or it didn’t happen….

Erm... everytime a religious person calls evolution a belief, or athiesm a belief. That is extremely common, I'm sure you'd agree.

Don’t be laughing to hard, because its this type of rejection of God that brings about the wrath of God on man when the Earth is destroyed this final time around:

Haha! You'd blame non-believers if you lost your wallet or your marbles. Christian's seem more like muslims everyday. Soon you'll want to drown the disbelievers, as the Qu'ran suggests.

Then you should have kept religion out of the topic in this forum, this is the Fragile Earth Forum, not the “Anti-Christian Rant for Stars/Flags” forum.

6 lines in the OP stating my interpretation of a wacky & theoretical god. The majority of the OP isn't at all religious.

You chose to respond and I've only responded back. You are as much part of the anti-christianity sentiment on this thread because you participated.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Are you suggesting that life started over on Earth six times, and microbes evolved back into complex organisms over the course of 4 billion years?

Is your god ever going to be happy with his creation?

Would YOU be happy when your own creatures rape and pillage your creation? And spit in your face, or better yet, not even acknowledge your existence!?

Your own words:

Humans enjoy causing destruction, even if only on a computer screen, we often find it fun.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

The bible is bunk.

Come on… I thought you were Bill Nye the science guy, you should know better then to make a remark like this…

That is an opinion, and not a very educated one at that.
You know what they say about opinions, right?

That's a pointless statement because a significant number of people on this planet are athiests. If I were the only person, you'd have a fair point, but that's not the case at all.

As of 2000, the last time that they broke “Atheists” out of the actual chart listing the size of religions, Atheism was at 2% of the world population.

If you are going off the 2005 charts they mixed it in with folks who claim no set religion, which comes from places such as Russia and China, where religion was suppressed by Communist government force for decades.

The majority of the world is religious, which means that you think that the majority of the world is full of stupid sheeple. That is a pretty arrogant thing to think of yourself, and shows your level of maturity. Generally, as people begin to become smarter and older, they realize that the more they learn, the less they know. But hey you’re ahead of the other 98% of the planet, right?

Despite the fact that the other 98% can spell their religions name correctly unlike you…
(It’s spelled atheists, FYI)

The majority believing in god doesn't prove god's existence.

Nothing exactly proves God, which is part of the point of all religions, and why there are several different religions. All your core religions, what some folks refer to as the true religions, have the same basic ideals and golden rules despite this. There are many things that science has admitted point to intelligent design, and more then one of the world s greatest scientists have flat out stated this to be true.

Yea that kind of nonsense might work in the US with peer-pressure to force others to buy into the god delusions, but I'm English and my country has a largely non-religious population.

Oooh…
That makes you soo cool and anti-establishment over there…
…But then maybe that is why your country is turning into a police state faster then any of the other western societies.

We have churches yes, and many folks may even have christian on record as their religion, but the majority simply don't go to church, and the majority of our kids find religious education at school pointless, which it generally is.

2Thess 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

2 Timothy 3
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

The same process as before.... after several millenia the planet cools enough for liquid water to form, and undersea vents are ideal conditions for life to emerge.

Well Mr Nye…
What bacteria is it that is crawling out of these undersea vents, the earth was sterilized…
Remember?

It isn't completely understood but don't get all false dichotomy and assume your guess is any meaningful than the infinite number of possibilities that remain unproven.

Wait, I thought you said that science had all the answers and only religion was based on bunk?

So now you’re saying that much of the atheist version of the religion of science is based on both bunk and faith, and cannot be fully proven one way or the other?

Daniel 11:38- But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces:

Please demonstrate where I've been ignorant of science.

You have already done this yourself in not knowing that Catastrophism originally came from the Church and was accepted by scientists until scientist began to attack all things religious as unscientific. They then threw out Catastrophism along with things such as intelligent design. Now they are having to admit that many of these things, which were based on religion, are in fact correct.

Until the 19th century the dominant scientific beliefs in Europe were founded on the biblical narratives of Creation and the universal deluge. Other ancient deluge myths have been discovered since then, explaining why the flood story was "stated in scientific methods with surprising frequency among the Greeks", an example being Plutarch's account of the Ogygian flood.
Earth's history was viewed as the result of an accumulation of catastrophic events over a relatively short time period, before the depth of geological time was appreciated. In this way they were able to explain the observations of early geologists within the framework of a short Earth history.

Let us not forget one other slight thing that you should know being from Europe. Most of the greatest men of old, who were the foundations of current human knowledge all came from the Church. If you wanted a higher education back then you were taught by the Church. Where did all the nobles send their children to receive a higher education? Again the church.

I'm specifying my opinions on religion. After all, religious beliefs are all opinions, but I'm basing mine on observations rather than fantasies. Not choosing to completely interpret religion in a fantasy sort of way doesn't mean I don't see how you all fantasize.

No, please enlighten me to these fantasies you speak of?

Uniformitarianism is a rather simple term that becomes invalid when the observable universe has changing processes.

No it was an attempt to remove Religion with Science, even if they ended up being wrong in the long run. An attempt to pit science against religion, simply because some self proclaimed intellectuals, like yourself, with such a deep seated hatred for religion wanted to try and use science to bash religion:

From around 1850 to 1980, most geologists endorsed uniformitarianism ("The present is the key to the past") and gradualism (geologic change occurs slowly over long periods of time) and rejected the idea that cataclysmic events such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or floods of vastly greater power than those observed at the present time, played any significant role in the formation of the Earth's surface. Instead they believed that the earth had been shaped by the long term action of forces such as volcanism, earthquakes, erosion, and sedimentation, that could still be observed in action today. In part, the geologists' rejection was fostered by their impression that the catastrophists of the nineteenth century believed that God was directly involved in determining the history of Earth. Catastrophism of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries was closely tied to religion and catastrophic origins were considered miraculous rather than natural events.

yet what happened, which ended up being right, the arrogant scientists or the faithful religious?

Over the past 25 years, however, a scientifically based catastrophism has gained wide acceptance with regard to certain events in the distant past. One impetus for this change came from the publication of a historic paper by Walter and Luis Alvarez in 1980. This paper suggested that a 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) asteroid struck Earth 65 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous period. The impact wiped out about 70% of all species, including the dinosaurs, leaving behind the so-called K-T boundary. In 1990, a 180 kilometres (110 mi) candidate crater marking the impact was identified at Chicxulub in the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico.
Since then, the debate about the extinction of the dinosaurs and other mass extinction events has centered on whether the extinction mechanism was the asteroid impact, widespread volcanism (which occurred about the same time), or some other mechanism or combination. Most of the mechanisms suggested are catastrophic in nature.
The observation of the Shoemaker-Levy 9 cometary collision with Jupiter illustrated that catastrophic events occur as natural events.

So basically these guys are now having to eat crow, and trying to pad it so it doesn’t sound as bad as it actually is.

Religion beat Science again…

Science isn't about absolute certainties, and scientists can only work with the evidence we have otherwise science wouldn't be science would it!

Oh, but wait….
You were absolutely sure that the Bible was bunk a few minutes ago…

The world has not ended.

It has several times already.
It will again.

Religions are the product of man, and man has always been savage.

Opinion…
Why do they all have the same “Golden Rule” then, why is that “Golden Rule” not savage but the exact opposite.

[edit on 3/18/2010 by defcon5]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join