It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Event on Woomera Radar

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by elusive1

So the moths are migrating thousands and thousands of miles to the Arctic because of the methane release?

Wow, they must really like the stuff a lot.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Kailassa

Bogong moths
Wichetty grubs
And wombats

oh my

Bogong moths are fat, furry, friendly things.
I had one here for a week just a couple of weeks back, living under my computer desk and sitting on my shoulder while I was posting. They like being stroked once they get to know you, provided you don't touch their wings.
- But I'm weird, bees are friendly to me too.

No, I've never eaten a wombat.
I did have an orphaned baby wombat to look after as a kid, but it had ticks and went mad and died when they were removed.

As you may have guessed, I was not city-bred.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think this is a phenomenan.
Seriously though Oz what the hell, It's obvious you havn't ever seen anything like this. I would say that makes it significant and it is
definetly open to interpretation is it not? So what does it mean?

Sorry Phage I must of hit your reply by mistake.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It probably means, as has been pointed out, the Bogong are on the move again. It's the right time of year for them to start moving north.

The Bogong moth (Agrotis infusa) occurs commonly during the winter over a wide area of New South Wales. Major migrations southward toward the mountains occur in the spring, and migrations in the opposite direction occur in early autumn. The large quantities of moths and their ease of gathering make them the most reliable summer food source in the Australian highlands.

scooterdudisms.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok so the only odd part of this is that the migration was so large this
year it looked like weather. Very good . As long as I know what's
going on, I guess it's cool. Carry on Bogong. Thank's Phage.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I've heard of similar events occurring before. A dust storm or a large flock of birds can also fool the DOPLAR radar.

To Oz, thanks for sharing buddy, when will you be starting up the Woomera moth tourist park?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Amazing post Oz.

I checked out a video.

Warning, very big moths in this video

and I can see why a large flock of them could give such an effect.

Crickey! nature is amazing, especially down under, I am glad we don't have many crazy critters here.

cheers

GM

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Never underestimate the forces of nature.
Cool thread Oz.

S&F

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
look busy jesus is coming, no but really these types of things have a nice apocalyptic ring to them

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by murphyhurtme

I beg to differ.

SYDNEY, Australia — Swarms of moths are invading Sydney's business district, cloaking skyscrapers and infesting hotels as they succumb to the bright lights of Australia's biggest city.

While the native Bogong moths migrate annually from the plains of northeastern Australia to the southern Alps, unseasonable winds are blowing them off course this year.
seattletimes.nwsource.com...

And in North America.....

They're as much a sign of spring as the waking black bears or the snowmelt runoff.
www.encyclopedia.com...

This happened in 07

This year, what we've had is this really strong westerly over the last week," he said.

"These westerly winds have pushed them a little bit off course towards the coast, so that is probably why we are seeing an awful lot in Sydney instead of the usual one or two
www.abc.net.au...

Swarms have happened many times in our existance.
Its seasonal...its not the end of the world nor is it apocalyptic.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by DrumsRfun]

[edit on 18-3-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've seen one huge moth event in nearby regions in SA some years back after big rains - they were termed by the locals as 'rain moths' - don't know if that's a bogong or not. About 60-80mm long iirc and they had shiny reflective parts on their wings - the sight as you drove at night time was eerie, with thousands of lit up spots all over the road, in the sky..

If you travelled at more than about 30kph, your windscreen rapidly became a very ugly disaster. And yes, they were very docile creatures - you could pick them up and they would sit happily on your hand.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Wow, isn't mother nature full of surprises
If someone told me that was moths on the radar, I'd think they were well into their pub time

Thanks for sharing OZ! This is what good ATS post are about. S&F!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

GREAT reporting my man! Thanks for the story, this is awesome and def on for the weird books.
Namaste

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Is it just me, or is it 'too much' of a coincidence..

- that the new moon was barely starting to get out of its shell on sunday (16 march on www.briancasey.org... thanks to Phage for link

- that the moths rely heavily on light for navigation
- and that there was quite a lot of lightning going on in the direction they were heading?

Something just doesn't.. no, wait.. it just adds up

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There is only one moth in the world, the things you see flying is the image of that one mind. It's always a wander to witness the mind causing all of the bodies to move in wave like synchronicity towards a common conscious goal.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Oh man, I wonder who is going to link this to HAARP now?????? If there ever was a good excuse for chemtrails now is he time! Its only one moth after all.

Anyway interesting post. I'm an aussie and yes I have seen the Bonong moths get bad. Couple of years ago there were pictures of them in Sydney all over some guys car. Can't find the picture myself, but it is early here, and I have to go to to work.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

TO me it looks like they where following subconciously a SUN STAR* RADI. WAVE THAT MADE IT TO EARTH and they were doing what it naturally told them to do. My 2 cents

[edit on 3/18/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
We cab only speculate wgat the cause is, Im thinking its due to the moist conditions on the Eyre peninsuala prior ti the evenrt

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Here is some more info on those bogong moths:

Bogong Moths, Agrostis infusa, migrate over 1000km each year from the black soil plains of Queensland and western NSW to the Australian Alps, seeking refuge from the summer heat. Along the way, they travel by night and then in the morning, drop down to the ground to rest in the shade during the day.Bogong Moths, Agrostis infusa, migrate over 1000km each year from the black soil plains of Queensland and western NSW to the Australian Alps, seeking refuge from the summer heat. Along the way, they travel by night and then in the morning, drop down to the ground to rest in the shade during the day.
Picture at www.abc.net.au...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join