It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitler youth come again-brown shirts, and red ties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What is to stop the government from introducing their insidious agenda right under our noses. Im lucky my child is almost in high school, and has begun to understand alot of what we have been telling her, but what about the younger ones?

"The president is taking over 5,000 local schools, with no debate or vote in Congress," Nyland said. "These are the poorest schools, and Marysville is the poorest school district in Snohomish County. We'll see if the government does as well with our schools as they've done with Afghanistan, health care, jobs recovery and our banks."

I dont know how to embed a link but heres where you can find the full article
www.seattlepi.com...

This was published in feb 2010, but I havent seen it here, and PBS is reporting on it today.

Mod's feel free to move this if need be.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
not being from the US, i'm not sure about what way the education administration process usually works. why is this a big issue, i'm just curious and interested in education generally.

i just find nyland's whole point so confusing. on one hand, he talks about the schools under-performing due to a lack of funding and at the same time he seems to be complaining that these schools have been selected for special federal funding.

i'm also confused about the numbers, is it 5000 schools or two?

I dont know how to embed a link but heres where you can find the full article
www.seattlepi.com...

to embed a link put "url=http://www.whatever the page is.com" in square brackets [] then whatever you want to call it and "/url" in square brackets [] at the end.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Pieman,
He is actually talking about taking over 5000 schools across the nation at this time. Only 2 in Maryville. I am a teacher, in several districts in my county. they all work the same. there are federal guidelines each school district has to follow, but they are overseen principally by the states themselves.
the prospect of the government taking over the schools is not so bad, but what scares the hell out of me is the fact that they are going to remove the administrators, many of the teachers, and the current curriculim.
While we may not rank with many countries in education through out the world, I have dealt with our curriculim for 5 years now, and it is good.
the united states struggles with conflicting attitudes, that are hold overs from the past. Many parents my self included believe that children should be allowed to be children without having to constantly worry about what they will be when they grow up. thus we still have summer vacation that is optional etc. our kids(most of them) still only attend school 9 months out of the year.

I am 45 years old, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life when I was in 8th grade, and I still don't know at this time. there is so much to learn and do, and places to travel too. I am still finding things that I love . But I have never found the ONE thing I want to do for the rest of my life. This attitude has served me well. I have amassed a lot of knowledge over the years.
Knowledge that I can draw upon at any time, and pass onto my children.
I fear that if the government takes over all aspects of our childrens lives involving their education we as parents will lose them. they will not be taught that there are options out there, they will only know what the government wants them to know.

Much of our curriculim is very good, and should not be summarily thrown out. the article indicated that private companies will take over the running of the schools-probobly a federal contractor who happens to be the lowest bidder for the contract. So instead of getting a well educated teacher, we will get the lowest bidder for the contract.
It doesnt bode well for our kids future.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa
I fear that if the government takes over all aspects of our childrens lives involving their education we as parents will lose them. they will not be taught that there are options out there, they will only know what the government wants them to know.

thanks for the reply.

i agree with most of what you say, just wanted to mention that i think children are wired to take life lessons from their parents and practical instruction from outsiders. i believe it's (possibly( an evolved trait, people wired this way were better survivors as they took a wide range of knowledge in and applied it in a way taught to them by the people most interested in their survival.

because of this belief, i don't think that the government can take our children from us in this way unless we let them.

[edit on 17/3/10 by pieman]

top topics

join