It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Methane Leak Detected in Arctic

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Scientists have found a significant methane leak in the Arctic in an area previously thought safe from such things..

Huge Methane Leak in Arctic Detected

Methane is leaking into the atmosphere from unstable permafrost in the Arctic Ocean faster than scientists had thought and could worsen global warming, a study said Thursday.

From 2003 to 2008, an international research team led by University of Alaska-Fairbanks scientists Natalia Shakhova and Igor Semiletov surveyed the waters of the East Siberian Arctic Shelf, which covers more than 772,200 square miles (two million square kilometers) of seafloor in the Arctic Ocean.

"This discovery reveals a large but overlooked source of methane gas escaping from permafrost underwater, rather than on land," the study said.

"More widespread emissions could have dramatic effects on global warming in the future."

Methane can have a much greater effect on global warming than C02 and methane levels in the sea water there are already 8 times higher than normal seawater.

Huge amounts of methane are trapped in the sea floor - if it gets into the atmosphere it could spell real trouble.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I can only suggest the lesser of two evils, burn off the Methane, and least the CO2 is not as harmful as the Methane, although of course the heat will make the permafrost thaw even faster, screwed are we not??

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I wonder if after a bit too much vodka, they dropped their "methane sensor" down the head and not down the hatch. XD For months they thought it was trailing the ship, when actually it was sitting in their waste tank.

We don't need anymore global warming rubbish.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is what's known as 'grasping at straws'- one of probably not a few last ditch efforts to make 'global warming' look like a real concept.

I think the only 'massive methane leak' is coming from the amount of BS Govt and the scientists who work for them are producing.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
This is what's known as 'grasping at straws'- one of probably not a few last ditch efforts to make 'global warming' look like a real concept.

I think the only 'massive methane leak' is coming from the amount of BS Govt and the scientists who work for them are producing.

Do you have a study to refute it or should we just stick with your word?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I wonder how long till someone gets billed for the arctic going over it's emission rating of '0'? Ah, they'll figure it out.

Or else did someone lose their herd of cattle. One of the biggest offenders of global warming. And no, I don't have a study to back these claims up.

[edit on 3/17/2010 by hhcore]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Well, we've seen how reliable all of the those "Global warming" studies have been, right? Pardon us if we appear a little bit skeptical about more global warming scares when most, if not all have proven to be based on "cooked" data. We also know that these guys are scratching and clawing for their lives as funding is liekly to be DRASTICALLY cut in the near future. That is... unless... they can create another boogeyman!

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I wonder if we could develop robots that could mine this stuff, allowing us to tap it as an energy source.

This could be a vast new energy source.

No need for refineries.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I can fake data as much as any scientist out there. You want pie chart, regular chart, or just rows of mind numbing, eye watering numbers that make no sense til someone with some hopped up college degree 'explains' them?

Or better yet, someone hire Al Gore so HE can handle this. I'd pop for his gas, but I already spent $1500 on stuff other than 50 gallons for a vehicle that goes 20 feet per.

If ya aint caught on, this is less 'facts' and more on 'what facts can be invented'. See also all the faked data the Global Warmers did.

[edit on 17-3-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
OMG nature is speeding up global warming! We should put a blanket over the ice to stop it from leaking...or better yet use the methane for fuel like we do at the garbage dumps.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They'd have to be zero-carbon footprint, bio-degradable, solar-powered, and polar bear sympathetic robots. Not sure, but think that's impossible to achieve.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

I wonder if we could develop robots that could mine this stuff, allowing us to tap it as an energy source.

This could be a vast new energy source.

No need for refineries.

Then they would probably find a way to add it to our water supply,

Did Al Gore right this crap?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Well, we've seen how reliable all of the those "Global warming" studies have been, right? Pardon us if we appear a little bit skeptical about more global warming scares when most, if not all have proven to be based on "cooked" data. We also know that these guys are scratching and clawing for their lives as funding is liekly to be DRASTICALLY cut in the near future. That is... unless... they can create another boogeyman!

Sorry, but because some data has been faked, is no reason to completely dismiss all claims, that is ridiculous logic.
Please show how THIS study was faked.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
I wonder if after a bit too much vodka, they dropped their "methane sensor" down the head and not down the hatch. XD For months they thought it was trailing the ship, when actually it was sitting in their waste tank.

We don't need anymore global warming rubbish.

So because they have evidence you call it a load of rubbish? That's very open minded of you.

The Earth's temperature changes naturally, it can change unnaturally also. I don't see the problem of there being facts proven toward climate change.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

reply to post by hippomchippo

I can fake data as much as any scientist out there. You want pie chart, regular chart, or just rows of mind numbing, eye watering numbers that make no sense til someone with some hopped up college degree 'explains' them?

Or better yet, someone hire Al Gore so HE can handle this. I'd pop for his gas, but I already spent $1500 on stuff other than 50 gallons for a vehicle that goes 20 feet per.

If ya aint caught on, this is less 'facts' and more on 'what facts can be invented'. See also all the faked data the Global Warmers did.

[edit on 17-3-2010 by wylekat]

You can SPECULATE that the data has been faked, but until you do, it is only conjecture.
Would evolution be fake then simply because some people have forged fake fossils?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It took 'em five years to smell a fart! around here it takes about five seconds plus that knowing smile. The timing is excellent btw.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

im with you, chuck a match to it..

you know, i read a funny thing the other day, not from any scientist but it made alot of sence... if global warming is going to thaw everything and "flood us all" ... then how come after the last ice age, when the WHOLE WORLD was coverd in ice, after the thaw the uk was still their? (as well as the rest of the world)

Co2 aint gonna do any harm to us, global warming is a lie ... which aint hard to see why the lie exists... chough "multi billion dollar industry" cough.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Obviously, there are a lot of people here who need to seriously back off the oxycontin, and stop listening to continheads. You people must be betting your retirement funds on the oil companies. How dare anyone consider an alternative to oil.

Why not tap this huge energy source?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by pikestaff

im with you, chuck a match to it..

you know, i read a funny thing the other day, not from any scientist but it made alot of sence... if global warming is going to thaw everything and "flood us all" ... then how come after the last ice age, when the WHOLE WORLD was coverd in ice, after the thaw the uk was still their? (as well as the rest of the world)

Co2 aint gonna do any harm to us, global warming is a lie ... which aint hard to see why the lie exists... chough "multi billion dollar industry" cough.

So because specific spots didn't become underwater you consider the entire thing a lie?
The water levels did rise after the last ice age, quite significantly infact, here's some more info that you'll probably trash as disinformation garbage without reading it.
www.giss.nasa.gov...
EDIT: And yes, some scientists did exaggerate data, that is to be expected with large amounts of people, but that doesn't dismiss the entire theory, which is fairly sound.

[edit on 17-3-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

What are we going to do with this evidence of the earth polluting itself. Use it to scare the crap out of ignorant people? Make the suckers feel guilty about it and agree to pay a tax somewhere to compensate for their added daily methane?

HUGE METHANE LEAK - DANGER - BEWARE - RUN - THIS TIME IT REALLY IS GLOBAL WARMING...ER CLIMATE CHANGE - IT'S YOUR FAULT - YOU SHOULD PAY POOR LITTLE UNINDUSTRIALIZED COUNTRIES MONEY FOR BEING ADVANCED SOCIETIES - POOR LITTLE FISHY AND POOR LITTLE FUZZY BEAR AND POOR LITTLE TREE.

Phooey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join