It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Highest Frequency you can Hear? 20hz - 20khz Test.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
20hz all the way up to between 16khz & 17hkz were my results...I'm 36. Cool little test.

P.S. I did this twice for accuracy...and a couple more times with volume controls adjusted. Also, the tone was in direct competition with the sound of my computer's fan, so results may be skewed a bit.

Cool find OP

S&F

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
Your family used to use you for target practice!

Leaves me speechless, since I have a keyboard I guess all I can type is, I hope you overcame the difficulties you must have had.

Thanks, you know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

Well next time someone says that to you, chop off their legs and ask how strong they feel . . . . - just kidding, of course.

There is some truth to it, and weaknesses can teach important lessons.

It was a bit daunting when I was younger as I had to prove that I was smart enough to attend a normal school due to them believing I could not pay attention in classes. I had to teach myself to lip read and if I didnt do that, I would probably not be who I am right now.

That must have been really frustrating, and humiliating, as you are obviously intelligent.

Were you a bit of a dreamer? I had Asperger's, and hardly lived in the real world at all. Being a dumb-looking blonde didn't help, so people often wondered if I was all there. But an IQ test I aced measured me at over 140.

I love Neil Diamond's "Brooklyn Road", and "Shilo", written for fellow dreamers.

I think its really important that anyone who suffers from hearing loss should remind society that being deaf does not mean you are dumb in both intelligence or speech.

Ive put up with a lot of prejudice for it and that is why I ultimately smashed the hearing aids I was given and have never looked back.

Its quite amazing really, if you have poor eyesight and need glasses, most people think you are smart and tend to listen to what you have to say.

If you have bad hearing and wear hearing aids. People think you are stupid and that you must be spoken to as if you are incapable of matching an intelligent conversation.

Yes, humans are the most illogical creatures.
However kids do get teased a lot for wearing glasses, too.

Its one of the few things that angers me as I remember being around 12 years old, in high grade level classes, being taken out and forced to sit down with a special class consisting of only myself and read fricken Noddy books or twinkle twinkle little star with words bigger than the top line of an eye test almost.

I mean what the heck is wrong with some people.

Now I'm speechless.
Pity you couldn't have time-jumped back to where I was at that age; forced to spend history classes on my own in the library studying the Vedas as a punishment for sicking up over a stupid teacher when she tried to stop me leaving the room to be sick. Having these amazing books to study was pure heaven for a weird loner like me.

[edit on 18/3/10 by Kailassa]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I could hear from 40hz to 16khz.

I'm a 49 year old male. I know my hearing is a bit less acute than it used to be, but those results are probably decent.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Thats a really interesting video unfortunately I couldn't hear the video as my comupter doesn't have a sound card. I have tryed many years ago similar hearing tests but the sooner I can get a sound card for this comp the better as I would like to know what my hearing status is at.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The range you will hear depends first and foremost on what equipment you play it back through. Unless you have speakers or headphones that have a fairly flat frequency response (20hz-20khz) then you may not be able to hear the lower/higher end tones due to hardware restrictions rather than the limitations of your hearing.

Add to that the simple fact that youtube transcodes all audio with some lossy perceptual encoder that decides the +16khz frequencies are redundant and chances are that even if you could hear up to 20khz, you won't on anything available on youtube. There is also the tone itself, does it have a flat response across the entire frequency range? Well no, it doesn't, not even close.

Looking at the audio in Audition, decoded to wav to reduce further processing, it ranges from about -24db@20hz to -78db@20khz. The further past 15khz the tone gets the less you will hear simply because the volume of the tone itself reduces to a level that would be extremely difficult to hear. Ideally, a test tone such as this should be as near as possible to completely flat across the entire frequency range.

You can see the generated frequency range of the sound file here:

i40.tinypic.com...

[edit on 18-3-2010 by m4nchur14n]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
After listening twice (just to make sure I knew what to listen for),
I started hearing at ~100hz and stopped at~16khz.
Just for reference I am 39 and have spent the past 20+ years playing in front of VERY loud guitar amps.
Also have worked for many years around loud machinery.

*Edit* I listened to this on laptop speakers. I may try it on my desktop. It has a nice soundcard and runs through a Klipsch 5.1 system.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by GroundZero]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Im at 200hz to 18khz my input data smh. Op that was fun

I do have white noise here at work though gotta try in a blank space fun either way.

[edit on 3/18/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i don't see how this thread is interesting...

prolly cuz i'm a certified audio engineer.

at school we did a test and i could hear all the way up to 22khz

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lozenge

i don't see how this thread is interesting...

Sorry to hear that...

prolly cuz i'm a certified audio engineer.

Good for you. Congratulations.

at school we did a test and i could hear all the way up to 22khz

Impressive. Most of us aren't so lucky.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lozenge

That is cool man. Were did you get that certification? I assume you mean you are an engineer with a degree. As far as I know you can get Pro Tools certification and SSL certification, but I have never heard of being a "Certified" engineer.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I could hear the sound at 30hz and I lost it at around 15khz.

I'm 20 years old.

Is it possible to train your ears to hear higher frequencies?

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Striker122]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Striker122

I think so..

Ear training is important equally for musicians and sound engineers; being able to tell frequency apart from another in an accurate way is really important to recording, mixing, and doing live sound. Musicians train on perfect pitch; audio engineers should train on perfect frequency recognition.

homerecording.about.com...

Thanks to the member who posted this link in the first place. I had no idea you could train your ears.
I am not sure if helps you hear any better though.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
I think so..

Ear training is important equally for musicians and sound engineers; being able to tell frequency apart from another in an accurate way is really important to recording, mixing, and doing live sound. Musicians train on perfect pitch; audio engineers should train on perfect frequency recognition.

Ear training increases your ability to identify what you hear.

It cannot help you extend your hearing range.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
From the low rumba in the beginning all the way to 17khz. As 17 KHZ fades into 18 Khz so to does the sound fade out.
I was hoping to hear 20 Khz.

Interesting side note. 15 to 17 sounds much like a TV screen hum.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Just listened to it after a meditation. Got all the way up to 20khz, Felt it mostly in center of my brain ! I believe that the wave form is not exactly flat. I hear resonance all the way up to the end with a slight quality reduction from the Video encoding me thinks.

When I meditate, I hear a frequency that is almost at this range, sometimes higher.

I'm 39

Cheers!

[edit on 18-3-2010 by manbird12000]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

lol, I stopped at 3:44 into it, my dogs we getting annoyed. They were about 20 feet away from computer when I was doing this.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by manbird12000

I'm 39 as well -- just did a post on ultrasound alchemy -- through meditation but now confirmed by science as free energy secret.

naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
reply to post by manbird12000

I'm 39 as well -- just did a post on ultrasound alchemy -- through meditation but now confirmed by science as free energy secret.

naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com...

Very interesting, thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out right now.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

AHA ! Another person who hears the TV screen hum ! I sadly have lost that in the last 2 years. : (
My Son can hear it tho : )
I can still hear voices 1/2 mile away and soda bubbles in a cup. It is kind of a blessing cutting down on what I hear as I have asperger's and could hear every footfall of a bug, and it made sleep difficult for years.
Thanks for this fascinating thread. (kisses)
I put on the earphones as my speakers pick up my giant monitor.
I heard from 30 to- Waaahhhh! only 13. I am 50.
My Son heard 40 to 17. He is 22.
Cool stuff.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I heard it from 20 hz up to 17 khz and I am 36, it really hurt my ears toward the end!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join