It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Highest Frequency you can Hear? 20hz - 20khz Test.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I can hear 16hz to 24khz
I come from a long bloodline of musicians. It freaks my girlfriend out all the time cause I can hear people trying to talk discretely in other rooms.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Fascinating!

I was able to audibly pick up 30 Hz to 16 kHZ after which there was total silence. I can't hear 20 Hz but I can feel it physically in my ear.

What I found most interesting was that the volume seemed to increase with the increase in pitch. I had to turn the volume on the youtube player down more and more, and eventually had to actually turn down the master volume in my sound card's mixer.

This was a consistent rise in volume with pitch, with only ONE exception:

Precisely during the first moment of when the video said 13 kHz, the volume dipped very slightly but audibly, before returning to its previous level and then continuing to increase until 16 kHz, when silence set in. Apparently I have a problem hearing just barely above 13 kHz but it's an incredibly precise frequency.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

What a gift! I'm not sure if I would like to have a gift such as yours, I'm already paranoid enough as it is...not sure if I want to hear what people are really saying about me.

reply to post by AceWombat04

I would like to do this test again when I'm better. & then switch off the fridge and other things that may confuse what I am hearing.

At the moment I'm having trouble knowing what tone or volume to speak at because both my ears are STILL blocked due to sinus problems. My right nostril is also constantly blocked. Really annoying!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

As someone long suffering from severe allergies, sinus issues, and general congestion, might I suggest the disgusting but relief bringing nasal rinsing method? It feels awful and you will HATE it unless you're used to it, but it involves pouring or spraying a saline solution through one nostril so that it flows out the other.

I have to use a special brand of saline solution called Simply Saline that sprays it in with relative force because the gentle stream of a neti pot is not sufficient to blast through my congestion. It just never gets through.

If you do do this, consult your otolaryngologist or primary care doctor first, because some saline nasal sprays contain ingredients that actually worsen congestion.

Sorry to post off topic. I just thought it might help.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Cool thread.

20hz-18khz for me, 30 years old.

I'm pretty delighted actually, I thought my ears were worse, I have tinnitus, and I actually found out that the the ringing in my ear is at 15 khz, during this test.

It felt kinda strange hearing that frequency, it sort of ruled out the ringing.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

That's really good! It's where I'm at and I'm 22...

I love music and my boyfriend has a sound business so the Trance and Drum & Bass is always blaring at full volume...I don't know what my hearing is going to be at when I'm 30...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Yeah I tend to freak people out sometimes with that lol... Ummm also to whoever does the test... you might be able to hear lower/higher frequencies than you are getting from the test... Im sure none of you thought about the frequency response of the speakers you used to run the test... When I did that test awhile ago I used very expensive studio speakers we have downstairs in the recording studio. So you may want to look around for speakers with high frequency response range and test to see if your results changed

I'm 27 BTW

edit: added age for topic's purpose

[edit on 18-3-2010 by _R4t_]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Keep in mind usually tests of this kind always warn that not everyone's cheap computer speakers are even capable of reproducing tones in the 12-15k+ range so if you're not hearing anything about let's say 15khz it may simply be because your speakers aren't able to reproduce it.
For the record I'm late 20's and usually hear about 14-15k at the most in these test. I just took it and also heard about 15k at the highest.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
24 and i went from 30hz to 15khz. Interesting!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I am a coposer (any kind of music) - lucky with my THX 34cm sub.. 9 - 18760 hz. While i feel stupid from sounds under 15hz. It feels like my brain want's to explode
(and all thinng bengin to move on my desk)

BTW. Most speakers have a spectrum like this - and this is a very good one:

and also don't forget the volume you select. Try it with about 1db @ 440hz (as low volume possible - you still can hear it.) that try other frequencies.

AND DON'T USE COMPRESSED YOUTUBE VIDEOS - THIS NEVER WORKS!
USE SOMETHING LIKE THIS!

www.programming.de...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
Cool thread.

I'm pretty delighted actually, I thought my ears were worse, I have tinnitus, and I actually found out that the the ringing in my ear is at 15 khz, during this test.

yep as a long time sufferer of tinnitus (I'm a musician/composer)
I long ago found out that listening to the frequency of my tinnitus phases it out and often lessens its severity for hours afterwards. My tinnitus is (like many other composers I've spoken to) at about 12.5khz give or take

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Professional audio engineer dropping in.

20Hz to 20kHz is the window in which humans can possibly hear. Its said that a baby can hear the full range. Wether you can hear it or not depends on the condition of your ears. Usually it is due to age and totally normal.

Average hearing range is about 40Hz to 17kHz.

As for this test video, unless you have great monitors with a very flat frequency response (Which is sought after and usually very expensive) then i don't see it being very accurate.

I listened to the test in my sound treated room through a set of reference monitors and could hear 40-18. Ive had pro-tests done for insurance reasons and could hear 30-19.

TO add... The human body resonates at 63Hz, and 120v of electricity reso's at 60Hz. Interesting. Maybe explains why some rooms in certain places bother people.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak

Originally posted by Point of No Return
Cool thread.

yep as a long time sufferer of tinnitus (I'm a musician/composer)
I long ago found out that listening to the frequency of my tinnitus phases it out and often lessens its severity for hours afterwards. My tinnitus is (like many other composers I've spoken to) at about 12.5khz give or take

same to me, also, often used in therapies...but my tinnitus is depending on my stress factor and blood pressure. Sometimes it's sounds more like a harddrive (noise and click) - so no therapy helps on this. I'm lucky it's most of the time as quiet that my brain can ignore (filter) this noise.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Yes it damps/reduce what you are hearing due to the phase cancellation effect

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I take it you did not read my post on the last page or visit the links i posted about phons curves or read what i said about the non-flat frequency response of consumer audio equipment? Looks like no one else did either.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rufusdrak

That's interesting. I know there is some sort of techology that counteracts by sending opposite waves into the ear, or something.

Saw it a few years back on Discovery I think.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Yeah... You gave me an excuse to spend more money. I'm a musician myself too, and have a resonably expensive ($2000) set of monitors. I also get proper hearing tests and have done so for the last 10 years. Since I began testing (at 22yo), I've always had 20-22khz until my last pro-test which was a sad day, as I had dropped to 20-20!
Ever since I realised how much I loved music, and thats what I wanted to do, I have protected my ears by resisting turning up the volume and always using ear-muffs when needed.

Anyways, this test annoyed me, I had a 20-18khz result which made me grumpy (Im now 32yo). So, I tried using my headphones (again expensive, BeyerDynamic dt 770's) and boom, sound dropped off at 18khz... Which left me staring at my CHEAP mixing desk, which I route audio through. I'm sure its the cheap preamps (behringer) that are sapping those highs.

Its either that or the test is flawed, I refuse to beleive I've lost another 2khz in 2 years!
So, I have the excuse to splash out on a new mixing desk.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone put this through an audio analysys program, something like cubase, etc. Just to ensure there is wave forms present after 18khz.....
grrr....

Must buy new mixing desk...... Mmmmm Neve......

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Jeah, I'm usually not really bothered by it, unless I keep thinking about, like now.

A few weeks back I was camping out in the Belgian Ardennes, and it was very quiet at night, but I felt I couldn't really absorb this stillness, since my ears were ringing.

Pretty annoying.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
being a conspiracy site and all, I think this might be a great way to obtain people's age.

20hz was very clear.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

I would absolutely agree about Behringer being the weakest link in the chain, I would never trust anything they do with audio (midi is a different story). haha good luck getting a Neve, truly beautiful.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Frakkerface]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join