It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sumerian Language

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Does anyone have any resources on Sumerian language?

more specifically the pictographs from around 3000BC

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Sumerian is a very ancient language and is not much about it, due to the fact that the location of sumeria is mostly in iraq, I became interested on this subject about a year ago and is one author name zacharia stichin, that worte on a fictional book about the sumerians and their advance civilization. www.emayzine.com... www.tomgilmore.com...

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sumerian is a very ancient language and is not much about it, due to the fact that the location of sumeria is mostly in iraq, I became interested on this subject about a year ago and is one author name zacharia stichin, that worte on a fictional book about the sumerians and their advance civilization. www.emayzine.com... www.tomgilmore.com...

Nice resource....thanks..

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I love ancient history, it is say that Abraham left the town of sumer on the outside the city of sumeria, in other worlds Abraham was from sumeria. Thats is very interesting. Sumeria is supposed to be the craddle of civilization.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You can see (hear) Modern day examples of Sumerian Language spoken in Hungary. The HUngarian Language appears to be closely tied to Sumer, with examples of simalar words for many objects and expressions. Sumer is one of the most fascinating subjects in archeology. there is a lot of assumptions and guessing, but it worth a look nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I will like to research into sumeria but we have to deal with this area of the world being in iraq, most of what we have now on sumeria is from before Sadam when archeologist were able to work on the area.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Funny thing is...the United States now holds control of iraq for the most part....archeological teams COULD be sent back in now...

would be fascinating to get new data...

*edit*
You do not need to quote an entire post that is directly above yours.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Here is a site with Sumerian artifacts, carvings, cylinder seals, etc. Some educated folks do not like Sitchen and think he is a loose cannon. Since I do not have any of that fancy store bought college knowledge, I have no problem with him.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Very nice link, for sumeria to be such an ancient civilization they were very good artistically, it is a comparizon of the hieroglyph of Enki as a serpent because he was the keeper of the secrets or PTAH, represented the double helix of DNA. You can find this in ancient egypt but it actually came from sumeria, also the symbol for medicine can be found in sumeria, very odd, some atributed sumeria to be a race of people from another planet, because they were very advance in science and medice.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Trying to get more clues, huh?

: )

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Do you know something I don't?
will you share with us I got interested in Sumeria about 2 years ago when I found out it came from the iraqui area being that area one that have most of the ancient cities in the middle east. And actually I was researching on were Abraham was native of, being him the father of christianity.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Generic resource on cuneiform (explaination, mostly) and the languages of Sumer area:
www.wsu.edu:8080...
www.historyforkids.org...
encarta.msn.com...

Cuneiform Digital Library:
cdli.ucla.edu...

Some cuneiform tablets, including one about Haley's comet:
www.crystalinks.com...

Resources on how to read it:
xoomer.virgilio.it...
xoomer.virgilio.it...

Top 20 sign list
xoomer.virgilio.it...

Sign Lists (syllables named, no translation):
www.jhu.edu...
www-hep2.fzu.cz...

Best accepted books on Cuneiform sign lists:
www.english.bham.ac.uk...

Catalogue of signs (you have to know how to write what you're looking for)
www.klinopis.cz...

Bible-based resource:
www.oldtestamentstudies.net...

Gaming site(?) but I believe the phrases are correct. The gods seem to be correct:
www.ping.de...

Can't suggest any books, etc, as I haven't started to learn cuneiform yet. I'm still working on Egyptian hieroglypics.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
...or did you want translations of the ancient texts into modern English?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the home work is going to keep me busy the entire summer and I am reading on mason history too, the da vinci code and the bush womens all a the same time. What can I say when you have a husband like me on business trip all the time, all I have is ATS and books.

thanks for the links.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thank you GroinGrinder, Byrd, and Marg, you resources are very awesome...

keep it coming guys..

as to what Transc3ndent said...the current findtherings game has to do with elements of sumerian civiliazation, and one of the idiots taunting us has an avatar full of sumerian pictographs...so i'm studying up, in an atempt to translate....though i've been interested in sumerians since high school, just never got to do much studying....now i have more incentive to do so..lol

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It's a lots of scholars in ATS and you can do a lot of research in this site. I am not scholar but I will help it is needed.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
just out of curiosity..is it normal in sumerian language to just use a bunch of random words?

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Generic resource on cuneiform (explaination, mostly) and the languages of Sumer area:
www.wsu.edu:8080...
www.historyforkids.org...
encarta.msn.com...

Cuneiform Digital Library:
cdli.ucla.edu...

Some cuneiform tablets, including one about Haley's comet:
www.crystalinks.com...

Resources on how to read it:
xoomer.virgilio.it...
xoomer.virgilio.it...

Top 20 sign list
xoomer.virgilio.it...

Sign Lists (syllables named, no translation):
www.jhu.edu...
www-hep2.fzu.cz...

Best accepted books on Cuneiform sign lists:
www.english.bham.ac.uk...

Catalogue of signs (you have to know how to write what you're looking for)
www.klinopis.cz...

Bible-based resource:
www.oldtestamentstudies.net...

Gaming site(?) but I believe the phrases are correct. The gods seem to be correct:
www.ping.de...

Can't suggest any books, etc, as I haven't started to learn cuneiform yet. I'm still working on Egyptian hieroglypics.

Thanks for the links!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I am very interested in the evidence of alliance, and from the research I did, look like in many case aliens speak ancient Samarian language. Does anyone know how this language appeared? Was it created by people or brought over from the aliens?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I too became interested in ancient mesopotamia and egypt and a good website with a lot of books and core texts is Etana.

etana.org...

Another good website with texts and abooks is Internet Archive - I managed to download the original Abydos books by Petrie and those are not so easy to find...

www.archive.org...

Hope they help !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join