It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Rights a cry of resistance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Link the news article

Whether it’s a correctly called a movement, a backlash or political theater, state declarations of their rights — or in some cases denunciations of federal authority, amounting to the same thing — are on a roll.

Gov. Mike Rounds of South Dakota, a Republican, signed a bill into law on Friday declaring that the federal regulation of firearms is invalid if a weapon is made and used in South Dakota.

On Thursday, Wyoming’s governor, Dave Freudenthal, a Democrat, signed a similar bill for that state. The same day, Oklahoma’s House of Representatives approved a resolution that Oklahomans should be able to vote on a state constitutional amendment allowing them to opt out of the federal health care overhaul.

In Utah, lawmakers embraced states’ rights with a vengeance in the final days of the legislative session last week. One measure said Congress and the federal government could not carry out health care reform, not in Utah anyway, without approval of the Legislature. Another bill declared state authority to take federal lands under the eminent domain process. A resolution asserted the “inviolable sovereignty of the State of Utah under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution.”

Some legal scholars say the new states’ rights drive has more smoke than fire, but for lawmakers, just taking a stand can be important enough.

“Who is the sovereign, the state or the federal government?” said State Representative Chris N. Herrod, a Republican from Provo, Utah, and leader of the 30-member Patrick Henry Caucus, which formed last year and led the assault on federal legal barricades in the session that ended Thursday.

I dunno about you guys, but this just keeps getting more and more interesting. Now more states are beginning to declare the government's expansion of power unconstitutional, this year could turn out to be the year Panarin predicted.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well well well, it seems the states are waking up.

Look what I found today.

Examiner Editorial: States reassert sovereignty with legislation

edit to add-

I found another good site.

States Stand For Constitutional Sovereignty

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7424a6bdabcf.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 3/17/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

In Utah, lawmakers embraced states’ rights with a vengeance in the final days of the legislative session last week. One measure said Congress and the federal government could not carry out health care reform, not in Utah anyway, without approval of the Legislature. Another bill declared state authority to take federal lands under the eminent domain process. A resolution asserted the “inviolable sovereignty of the State of Utah under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution.”

WOW! I love how they roll in Utah. Too many military bases out here in carolina, i don't believe our state would even try such stunts.

I could see some eastern states going that far. But it seems to be around midwest...very fitting.

EDIT: Never mind, there we are!
I wonder how this falls into the picture of the NWO and such. Any speculations?

[edit on 17-3-2010 by cenpuppie]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
WTF NY...... thats sad, i hate this state..... i mean its beautiful, nature in NY is breathtaking. the finger lakes, the adirondacks, catskills, lake champlain, lake erie and ontatrio, hudson river (not including nyc cause nyc is a steel, metal, pavement cancer full of bankers, i dont find that beautiful) but if you live here, high taxes, ineffective governemnt that is corrupt and full of scandel, high gas prices, stagnant pay, poverty...

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

lol, same here. especially with the city and all of their nonsense, comical laws that do nothing but rob people over mindless jargon. to be honest, i wasnt so surprised to see that they havent done a thing compared to the other states, especially since people are so concerned over a scandal demanding patterson to resign, the MTA getting ready to force school children to pay to ride, and the NYPD quotas?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It is my opinion that we will only be able to reign in the federal gov. via the states asserting their constitutional authority as procribed in the 10th amendment. The congress and executive branch have expanded their control and power to such an extent that indiviual citizens have no chance of bringing them back into line.

Frankly I think it is time that the state governors call a constitutional convention and take back those powers usurped by the fed.

top topics

join