It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Bands Not In The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
~couldn't decide whether to put this is in Rant or Music, it's really both~

Anyway here's my opinion on the top 5 acts left out of the JOKE of an organization known as The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Feel free to let me know if you disagree agree
with the following :

#5- HEART

Heart is a rock band whose founding members came from Seattle, Washington, USA in the early 1970s. Going through several lineup changes, the only constant members of the group are sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson. The group rose to fame in the 1970s with their music being influenced by hard rock as well as folk music. After diminishing in popularity by the mid-1980s, the band created a major comeback in 1985, experiencing further success with their power ballads throughout the rest of the decade. By the mid-1990s, Heart left their 1980s' sound and went back to their hard rock roots which they continue to play today. They have sold over 30 million albums worldwide

en.wikipedia.org...(band)

ABBA but no Heart??? Sure, they wimped out in the Eighties but they sold a ton of records too....Are you kidding me

#4- CHICAGO

Chicago is an American rock band formed in 1967 in Chicago, Illinois. The band began as a politically charged, sometimes experimental, rock band and later moved to a predominantly softer sound, becoming famous for producing a number of hit ballads. They had a steady stream of hits throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Second only to the Beach Boys in terms of singles and albums, Chicago is one of the longest running and most successful U.S. pop/rock and roll groups.

According to Billboard, Chicago was the leading U.S. singles charting group during the 1970s. They have sold over 120 million albums worldwide, scoring 22 Gold, 18 Platinum, and 8 Multi-Platinum albums. Over the course of their career they have charted five No. 1 albums, and have had twenty-one top ten hits

Sure, another group that wimped out in the Eighties, but that's ALOT of records, folks!

#3- JOURNEY

Journey is an American rock band formed in 1973 in San Francisco, California, with former members of Santana. The band has gone through several phases, but its strongest commercial success came in the late 1970s to the early 1980s. During this period, they had hits with a series of power ballads and rock songs, including "Don't Stop Believin'", "Separate Ways", "Faithfully", "Any Way You Want It", "Open Arms", "Send Her My Love", "Wheel in the Sky", "Who's Crying Now", "Stone In Love", "Lovin,' Touchin,' Squeezin;'", and "Lights".

The group enjoyed a successful reunion in the mid-1990s with a major Grammy-nominated hit, "When You Love a Woman." Throughout Journey's three decades of existence, their albums have achieved gold status twice, platinum status three times, multi-platinum plateau eight times, and Diamond once. These include seven consecutive multi-platinum albums, stretching from 1978 to 1987. They had 19 Top 40 singles, six of which reached the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Their signature song, "Don't Stop Believin'", is the top-selling catalog track in iTunes history, at more than three million downloads. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, Journey has sold 47 million albums in the United States, making them the 28th best selling band. Their worldwide sales have reached over 75 million albums.

A USA Today opinion poll in 2005 asked respondents to weigh in on who they thought was the best American rock band in history; Journey came in fifth place. Journey has been eligible for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame since 2000, but Gregg Rolie is the only current or former member of Journey who has been inducted — as a member of parent band Santana. Steve Perry, the band's best-known lead vocalist, has been eligible for induction as a solo artist since 2009.

Talking Heads but no Journey? Bob Seger but no Journey???

#2- Neil Diamond The Jewish Elvis

Neil Leslie Diamond (born January 24, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter. As a successful pop music performer, Diamond scored a number of hits worldwide in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. According to David Wild, common themes in Diamond's songs are "a deep sense of isolation and an equal desire for connection. A yearning for home – and at the same time, the allure of greater freedom. The good, the bad and the ugly about a crazy little thing called love."

As of 2001 Diamond has 115 million records sold worldwide, including 48 million records in the U.S. In terms of Billboard chart success, he is the third most successful Adult Contemporary artist ever, ranking behind only Barbra Streisand and Elton John. Though his record sales declined somewhat after the 1980s, Diamond continues to tour successfully, and maintains a very loyal following. Diamond's songs have been recorded by a vast array of performers from many different musical genres. Diamond was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1984, and in 2000 received the Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award.

en.wikipedia.org...

Jackson Browne but no Neil Diamond?? John Mellencamp gets in before this guy??? Whaaaa? Is the RNRHOF run by a bunch of Nazis or what??

#1- RUSH

As a fan it's easy to make a case for this band. They have influenced many bands and are still rockin'.

Rush is a Canadian rock band originally formed in August 1968, in the Willowdale neighbourhood of Toronto, Ontario, composed of bassist, keyboardist, and lead vocalist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson, and drummer and lyricist Neil Peart. The band and its membership went through a number of re-configurations between 1968 and 1974, achieving their current form when Peart replaced original drummer John Rutsey in July 1974, two weeks before the group's first U.S. tour.

Musically, Rush's style has evolved over the years, beginning in the vein of blues-inspired heavy metal on their first album, then encompassing hard rock, progressive rock, and a period dominated by synthesizers. They have influenced various musical artists, including Metallica, and The Smashing Pumpkins as well as progressive metal bands such as Dream Theater, Primus, and Symphony X.

Rush has won a number of Juno Awards, and was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1994. Over their careers, the members of Rush have been acknowledged as some of the most proficient players on their respective instruments, with each band member winning several awards in magazine readers' polls. As a group, Rush possesses 24 gold records and 14 platinum (3 multi-platinum) records. According to the RIAA, Rush's sales statistics also place them fourth behind The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith for the most consecutive gold or platinum albums by a rock band. Rush also ranks 79th in U.S. album sales with 25 million units. Although total worldwide album sales are not calculated by any single entity, as of 2004 several industry sources estimated Rush's total worldwide album sales at over 40 million units.

Steely Dan but no Rush? Blondie & R.E.M. but no Rush??? :bnghd:

Some Honorable Mentions still not in:

Bon Jovi
Motley Crue
Electric Light Orchestra
Willie Nelson

/ Rant Over

[edit on 17-3-2010 by Signals]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Neil Diamond - YES!

All of the others I've never heard before so they are obviously rubbish, we can't be letting any old riff-raff into The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Bob Jovi

As for that......I threw up in my mouth after reading that. It was a joke wasn't it?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Bob Jovi

As for that......I threw up in my mouth after reading that. It was a joke wasn't it?

NO it wasn't :bnghd: it was a misspell though

Never heard of Rush
What planet are you from?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

NO it wasn't :bnghd: it was a misspell though

Never heard of Rush
What planet are you from?

Haha, I didn't even realise you had made a mistake until after I posted, I try not to read that bands name lest my eyes melt out of their sockets. I do prefer the name Bob Jovi though

As for Rush...

Rush is a Canadian rock band originally formed in August 1968...

Considering I'm a twenty something from the UK it's probably understandable I don't know them

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well,I think Bon Jovi asked the committee not to be considered until they have actually retired.

Jon is a big sports fan and he believes it should be like a sports hall of fame and only retired or dead members should be considered.

Rush will probably someday.

Heart,I don't know.

I can not comprehend how Bill Graham as a promoter has never been inducted.:bnghd:
Bill Graham

Another influential performer is Dick Dale.

And now that I have thought about it when is Stevie Ray
Vaughan
?

[edit on 17-3-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
How the F*** did Metallica get in, but Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Mercyful Fate, and Scorpions are left out.

I don't even think any of these have been nominated yet :shk:.

And a big thumbs up for the guy before me who mentioned Dick Dale

There is probably loads more bands that deserve getting in, that meet qualifications but I don't feel like making a giant list.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Some glaring omissions:

Joy Division
Echo & The Bunnymen
The Cure
Stone Roses
Pulp

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Paul]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I can agree with SRV & Judas Priest...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ceac48a682a9.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
How Rush, Chicago, and Journey are not in is beyond me, but I'm not sure what the selection process entails.

Another band I think deserves the nod is the Scorpions.

Peace

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Dont forget Rick Astley!!!

he won the lifetime achievement award for his groubdbreaking music that revolutionized the music industry!

Im not sure if he is Rock or Classic Rock though????

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

Shirley you must be joking

Hell let's nominate Bananarama

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Shirley you must be joking

Hell let's nominate Bananarama

Yeah, or Hannah Montana

Nice thread, Signals, but it's a shame that we have such a sillly hall of fame.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You should be Rick Rolled for that comment

top topics

join