It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan's penis and vagina festivals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This has gotta be the wierdest thing I've ever seen. I've heard of fertility celebrations before but I didn't know this stuff was still going on in modernized countries like Japan.

Japan: Nothing says springtime like a penis festival

KOMAKI, Japan — It's springtime in Japan and that means one thing.

Actually, two things. Penis festivals and vagina festivals.

It may sound like a sophomoric gag. But these are folk rites going back at least 1,500 years, into Japan's agricultural past. They're held to ensure a good harvest and promote baby-making.

At the Hime-no-miya grand vagina festival, parents dress up their kids, pray for healthy babies, and celebrate with sake, beer and snacks galore.

In the morning, children carry a small vagina to the Ogata shrine. Later, some 40 grown men strain under the weight of a massive vagina while carrying it to the shrine in the main parade. They're followed by two smaller vagina litters.

At the end of the day pink and white mochi (glutinous rice ball treats) are hurled into the crowd.

The penis festival the following day drew far more foreign and Japanese tourists — some 100,000, according to a festival brochure. Festival foreplay included much posing with wooden and candy penises. The main event is the parading of a two-foot by six-and-a-half foot long phallus carved from Japanese cypress.

Read more: Global Post

You gotta check out the link to see the pics. There's a pic of a bunch of guys carrying aroung a GIANT penis carving and a provocative pic of some girls eating a penis-shaped sucker.

[edit on 3/17/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Nobody ever commented on this? Japanese people are cool, but definitely crazy too! lol

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Several jokes come to mind but I don't want to get banned. Really nothing I can say that's within T&C. Sorry. Interesting, though.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Japan....makes me laugh.....they celebrate just about everything....and when I think I have heard of everything...I find this thread.....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I'd hate to imagine what search terms you were using when this thread popped up.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by caladonea

I'd hate to imagine what search terms you were using when this thread popped up.

Actually I was trying to find out about the festivals in Japan that I heard about through a friend...and so I went into search here to see if there was anything....and there it was! (laughing out loud!)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I wonder if they've tried those celebrations out in the U.S.?

I must say this news I never ever wondered where in the world it existed.

Where is the "Poop" festival?

new topics

top topics

join