It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PepsiCo to stop selling sugary drinks from schools worldwide by 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

PepsiCo to stop selling sugary drinks from schools worldwide by 2012

www.canadianbusiness.com

The company said Tuesday it will remove full-calorie, sweetened drinks from schools in more than 200 countries by 2012, marking the first such move by a major soft drink producer.

Both PepsiCo Inc., the world's second-biggest soft drink maker, and No. 1 player Coca-Cola Co. adopted guidelines to stop selling sugary drinks in U.S. schools in 2006.

The World Heart Federation has been negotiating with soft drink makers to have them remove sugary beverages from schools for the past year as it looks to fight a rise in childhood obesity, which can lead to diabetes, heart problems and other ai
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ctv.ca
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all in support of pulling this junk from schools. What worries me is that the wording in the several articles that I read about this implies that only the drinks that use real sugar are getting pulled, leaving the aspartame sweetened drinks as the only other option.

This stuff has been linked to cancers and all types of illnesses, why is it being left as the only alternative? I do understand that students have the options of juice, milk or water etc. However most will go for pop.

www.canadianbusiness.com

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'm also happy to see this junk pulled from the schools. I would think tho that they would also have to pull the diet form also. IMO kids should only drink juices, milk, water and as a weekend treat Kool-Aid. Well that how it was for me growing up anyway. S&F from me OP

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Great marketing ploy by Pepsi !!!

People will think they are such a responsible company,helping our childrens health like that...Except as the OP stated,I think they will remove the sugar,whilst leaving the chemical toxic sweetener crap in there.

In fact I would put money on that being the case.

In the UK they many drinks companies attempt the same trick,with big "sugar free" notices on their products-of course the aspartame etc stays in the product.

These companies rely on the fact that too many of us are happy to eat and drink chemicals without researching how dangerous they actually are...
And sadly as more of these chemicals are ingested,less people are willing(or able)to research what they eat...Is that what they are for maybe-to dumb the masses down so they will literally eat anything the chemical companies force down our throats?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
whatever happened to the good old days where your choices were milk and water (with Chocolate Milk Fridays)? This crap should have never been introduced into schools.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I don't agree with this, especially in high school. You should be able to make your own health conscious decisions by high school. Our school had the pop machines taken out and all that was left was water and juice.

Do they not realize that juice has just as much sugar, if not more? I fail to see the reasoning behind this.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Much ado about nothing.

Until the school systems get real and force out all vending machines, who cares if Pepsi pulls one type of soda?

Students need nothing more than water fountains during school hours.

I think putting these soda machines in schools is a criminal idea. Caffiene it up in the morning with a soda, then crash and flunk your afternoon classes. Get too fat and lazy to be healthy.

I will applaud pepsi when they have NOTHING in ANY single school world wide.

Until then Pepsi can buzz off.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The story should read "PepsiCo to stop selling corny drinks from schools worldwide by 2012". PepsiCo uses high fructose corn syrup to sweeten just about all of its products, not sugar. That said I did see a special version of Pepsi last month that used actual sugar. It had a different taste... can't say it was better or worse.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Its when they start installing "nuka cola" machines in the schools-thats when you have to start worrying.

Seriouslythough,I would be very surprised if Pepsi are doing anything other than a sly marketing ploy here...
Take out the sugar,and rely more heavily on those lovely cheap "sweeteners" the public can't even pronounce their name,mostly, so lets just pile them in there and see what happens to the kids and our profits.
We are a"healthy" company now.
Mwhahahahaaahahaha.

They will be giving away free ritalin with every can soon,no one will mind,mostly.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Those poor highschool students!

I don't drink pop more than once or twice a week anymore, but that boost of caffeine helped me get through some tough mornings in Highschool.

Now, I completely agree that the schools for younger children should have a no pop policy, but in Highschool, with older students in their high-teens I think they should be able to decide for themselves if they want pop or something else.

This is just an artificial means of control anyway. Before the highschool I went to had pop readily available, everyone just walked to the nearest gas station or deli and bought up all the pop they wanted. In the long term, nothing will really change.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This is likely due to costs.

It will end up being far cheaper to sale diet Pepsi, Pepsi Max, and Pepsi One. Don't forget all of their other in house diet products either, like Mountain Dew.

All of them will still be full of the acid that eats away tooth enamel. Plus all the toxic fun of synthetic sweetners.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSanE1

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all in support of pulling this junk from schools. What worries me is that the wording in the several articles that I read about this implies that only the drinks that use real sugar are getting pulled, leaving the aspartame sweetened drinks as the only other option.

This stuff has been linked to cancers and all types of illnesses, why is it being left as the only alternative? I do understand that students have the options of juice, milk or water etc. However most will go for pop.

www.canadianbusiness.com

The only links I've seen on scientific sites about diet drinks and cancer is when scientists increased the average daily intake of aspartame times 3000% Then it became a problem. But that would be - what - like a hundred diet drinks per day?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Yup I suppose all of this is nonsense...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.naturalnews.com...

www.sweetpoison.com...

www.healingdaily.com...

This was all found during a single search for aspartame on google.

I'm sure all of these sites are simply there to create a negative reputation for it right? /sarcasm...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Just thought of something. May be related, may not be.

But this stunt by Pepsi comes on the heels of the name change for that one fake sugar, aspartame.

stanford.wellsphere.com...

"Artificial sweeteners especially aspartame has gotten a bad rap over the years, most likely due to studies showing they cause cancer. But not to worry Ajinomoto the company that makes Aspartame has changed the name to AminoSweet. It has the same toxic ingredients but a nice new sounding name. And if you or your child happens to be allergic to Aspartame, well don’t take it personally it’s just business."

In fact, I would bet the two actions are somehow related.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Soft drinks have already been removed in schools in Australia. And its a good thing too, but I agree all the other artificial sweeteners, preservatives, additives, sodium, etc is still there.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmperorZeno
Do they not realize that juice has just as much sugar, if not more? I fail to see the reasoning behind this.

The goal is to try to get as many children as possible to consume aspartame IMO.

top topics

join