It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Physics to the extreme - out of sight, out of mind

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
As stated in my original post the mechanics of quantum physics have many rules and intricacies. It's not as cut and dry as you think. Some of the opposing examples given in this thread just don't hold up. The act of quantum observation not only constitutes viewing with your own eyes but encompasses all five human senses. To go a little further this also includes any mechanical measurement tools that actively transmit data to us.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
i really do find this hard to accept. Is it not correct that we have huge problems uniting quantum physics and classical physics? Is it too much of a stretch of an imagination to think that we might be missing something fairly drastic that solves these apparent paradoxes?

There is a much greater mind than mine that thinks this - Roger Penrose

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a rather interesting story that seems to have some relevabce ti tg thread at hand.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I haven't watched the movie in the OP yet because I don't have much time right now. Will watch it after work so for now just a quick reply.

The first time I heard the notion "when something is not observed, it doesn't exist", was about 15 years ago and I read about it in an 'old' book. So these theories are around for a long time. In the mean time I've seen tons of movies about the subject and read a lot of books... still the concept is hard to grasp.

It made me wonder a few things:
I'm sitting here on my desk, only observing what is in front of me, still I 'know' that the world behind me and outside the house is also there, it didn't stop existing just because I'm not observing it.
Personally I think the reason it is that way is because we live on this planet together with x-billion living, breathing, observing creatures who are all interconnected and co-creating our existence. That's what keeps us in out place.

In my head it's simple, but in 15 years I never managed to explain this to someone for the first time and make them grasp it right away. It's as if, when most people start thinking about it, they see a universe that contains only themselfs, as the observer... and they forget that there are x-billions other observers out there, be it a fly on the wall or a virus or a microbe or something that doesn't even has the ability to be aware of itself but can (instinctly) recognize it's food-source (which is also observation).

anyway, need to go to work now,
nice topic s-f

top topics

<< 1   >>

join