It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Food stamp type money just goes around. It doesn't bother me.
I like knowing people are eating healthy. I don't want people to starve or kill themselves eating junk!
If the guy down the street has foodstamps, and goes to the grocery store, that helps pay my SIL's salary, and an old highschool friend. It helps the organic farmers trying to stay afloat, and it encourages good agricultural practices.

It's the bombs and the disposable helicopters and the money going to Israel, Syria, and everywhere else I don't much like, that I could do without seeing spent. Just personally.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It just chaps some people's a** when the poor aren't hurting enough to suit them. These self-righteous ones think those who get any sort of public assistance should SUFFER SUFFER SUFFER and PAY PAY PAY for those tax dollars they so grudgingly give the government.

To hear them talk the poor should live on beans and old potatoes, dress in rags, walk miles to get to the grocery store from their shanties, own no furniture, no tv, probably no electricity or heat, in short have nothing in life worth living for. Only then will they be satisfied that the poor have been punished enough for the sin of being poor.

About a year ago I started a thread about a woman on public assistance who managed to save a couple of thousand dollars (how many years it took her to do that and what she sacrificed in order to save was not made clear in the article). A surprising number of people were outraged and believed she should return the money to the government as she didn't really "need it" if she could put some aside. Some complained that they couldn't save anything themselves and they were making too much money for government aid. In other words, they were jealous.

The fact is, savings lead to property ownership and property ownership leads to financial self-sufficiency, so acquiring some savings is the road out of poverty for those who are careful and frugal enough to be able to do it. In my opinion, all people on public assistance should be encouraged to save more, though by necessity that will not usually be much.

Instead of beating up on the poor because they want a few of the better things in life --be they good wholesome food or an occasional trip to a movie or a book -- we should want them to find life worth living. Without that, the struggle for existence becomes just a hopeless and losing battle. Without that, what do they have to motivate them on the road out of poverty?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Appropriately portioned I can prepare the rabbit dinner mentioned (for two) for around 6 dollars. Real food costs more money than processed food and I wouldn't expect those who are in need to eat like machines simply because they are in need.

I am sure they pay what little taxes they are required so, in effect, they are simply getting something back from what they put in. I am not on food stamps, but have considered it since I would qualify and believe that the most potent form of declaration is to live in such a way that emphasizes your beliefs peacefully and withholds that which may benefit what you despise.

Regardless, our culture is obviously in a very sad state and I am confident that the mess of a government that has become of the US will not be able to maintain it's stranglehold on liberty without either destroying itself, or killing many, many people. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Set your eyes on eternal things, for you will go where you set your eyes.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join