It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flap flies in Haiti over U.S. flag absence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Flap flies in Haiti over U.S. flag absence

www.armytimes.com

The many nations helping Haiti recover from the devastating earthquake that struck there have set up their own military compounds and fly their flags at the entrances.

France's tricolor, Britain's Union Jack and even Croatia's coat of arms flap in the breeze.

But the country whose contributions dwarf the rest of the world's — the United States — has no flag at its main installation near the Port-au-Prince airport.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Does anyone else have a problem with this?

I agree with some of the comments that I have read elsewhere, if they don't like our flag there we can take it and all the help we have given them back with us.

Americans have been over there since the day after this happened (before anyone else) and yet we are the only ones who have to take their flag down?

I wonder why this isn't getting wide reporting?

www.armytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

I think your article makes all the points needed. Everyone in the world knows we are there and what we have done to help, we dont need to try and show it by flying the flag.

The Obama administration says flying the flag could give Haiti the wrong idea.

"We are not here as an occupation force, but as an international partner committed to supporting the government of Haiti on the road to recovery," the U.S. government's Haiti Joint Information Center said in response to a query about the flag.

Well said. Considering many on these boards tried to state it was an occupation, this is pretty smart of obama.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
I think your article makes all the points needed. Everyone in the world knows we are there and what we have done to help, we dont need to try and show it by flying the flag.

That is not why we show the flag in the first place.

Well said. Considering many on these boards tried to state it was an occupation, this is pretty smart of obama.

So then everyone else there, who is flying a flag, is there as an occupation force?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I use to love the days when people gave for the sake of giving and not for the sake of publicity.

IMO, as a veteran, it is no big deal. I'm sure people know it is a US installation with or without that flag.

I am also tired of the constant comparison of who gave the most or the least. Governments and people should give what they can and not make such a big deal out of who did what.

It is about helping people, not bragging rights.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Very clever Obama don't want to show the flag but it was really an occupation. Setting up a flag sends a message that Obama wants to conquer Haiti, but wants to do it behind the scenes. Congrats to Obama.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

It's not difficult to spot a US aircraft, vehicle or soldier. They're normally outrageously oversized, vast in number ... and emblazoned with Old Glory from top to bottom.

I doubt the locals will have much difficulty differentiating between USA and non USA assistance, somehow.

If they do, they must be blind.

I'm surprised the Brits fly a flag, they rarely fly the Union Jack in their own country, let alone others.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

This has nothing to do about bragging rights, or else we would have said "screw you" to the Haitian government and put up a bigger flag.

It's about what the flag represents, and why we are singled out from every other country there.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
What..?? no American flag..??

I thought we conquered that island already. O well, maybe after we hit the Dominican Republic with a 9.5 we will finally raise our flag.

I love haarp...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Does anyone else have a problem with this?

I agree with some of the comments that I have read elsewhere, if they don't like our flag there we can take it and all the help we have given them back with us.

OMG I am so angry at this

How DARE they spit on our arrogance??

If we help them then we should be able to put our flag there!

[edit on 16-3-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The OP, I'm curious, what sacrifice or contribution did you make to the people of Haiti?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I would of thought that they would have their flags flying to point out which base is who's. Because so many countries are sending aid via plane, they need to know which base to land in, so having the flag would help them point it out.

But seeing as america have not placed a flag there, then smeg knows why they have the flags up.

One thing i am curious about though is the union jack. Correct me if i am wrong because the rules might of changed, but was'nt the union jack only meant to be flying on our navy ships when we're at sea?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
This has nothing to do about bragging rights, or else we would have said "screw you" to the Haitian government and put up a bigger flag.

And you still don't see it.

Who cares if the flag is not flying? Do people not know that America didn't donate a large amount of money? (it isn't like we don't make a point of screaming it from sea to shining sea.) Do people not know we're there? (it isn't like we our soldiers in uniforms blend in with Haitians.) Do people not know that America is always there quickly? (if it suits us politically.)

"We can just as easily take it back and leave because they don't fly our flag..."

Really?

That is just sad, I wouldn't want to fly a flag if I'm getting that attitude in my face either.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I really hate to do it(punching myself in the head) but I agree with the President. When ANYBODY comes to the aid of a country in need there should be no groveling expected. A simple thank you is more than enough in my book. There may be a time when the favor is returned. No, not quoting the Godfather

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I have a couple of questions. First, is there another US base/camp, temporary or otherwise, anywhere in the world that is not flying the flag on a regular basis? In my mind, every US base & camp all over the world flies the flag. And I would think all other nations do likewise. I could be very well be wrong here, can someone point out where this is the case?

And then, the second: if the Haitian prime minster took offense to our flag, why hasn't he asked the other nations remove their flags as well? Or is it just ours he's offended by? And if he is, then why? The country was already in shambles, could it get worse with us there? [edit - Just to make it clear, I do NOT want the US to occupy Haiti, there's no reason why whatsoever!]

The flag is simply the same thing to the camp/base as the armbands that the armed forces wear, it simply states who we are and where we're at. It's not bragging, though it shows our national pride--we're not ashamed of who we are nor are we ashamed of being there. We haven't removed the Haitian or French flag, therefore our flag was not being used as an occupation signal, it was simply used as in EVERY other case in the world, to indicate our identity, period.

But again, if I'm wrong, please point out where a national flag is not flown over a nation's compound, especially for the US forces.

[edit on 3/17/2010 by willow1d]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by willow1d
But again, if I'm wrong, please point out where a national flag is not flown over a nation's compound, especially for the US forces.

It's not, and that is the point of the post.

No other country is being singled out, yet no one here seems to take offense at that.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HANDNo other country is being singled out, yet no one here seems to take offense at that.

Why would we? It simply is not that big of a deal. It isn't as if they are holding processions with the other flags and screaming "Down With America!" Though honestly then I would not care because it simply is not important.

And that's my opinion, since before 2008...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I could not have said it any better myself:

Proud to Help -- and to fly our flag

Perhaps this can better explain it to some people?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

If they do, they must be blind.

You would be surprised at how often I see pictures in the newspapers here in the US of "American troops" in say Afghanistan when they are obviously and clearly from a NATO ally. I recall seeing a picture of German troops labeled as US troops ... I dident think it was possible for one to confuse the flecktarn with the ACU and the G-36 with the M16.

was'nt the union jack only meant to be flying on our navy ships when we're at sea?

Your confusing the Union Jack (aka the Union flag: rossthomson.files.wordpress.com...) with the Royal Navy ensign (ahoy.tk-jk.net...).

Interestingly enough, the US Navy does not have a distinctive naval flag like many navies do.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This isn't uncommon. We don't fly the American flag over most of the bases in Iraq or Afghanistan (none of the ones I have been to anyway). It simply isn't our soil. US soldiers also don't pay taxes when they are in those combat zones. I wonder if the soldiers in Haiti are paying taxes?

It gets down to the little technicalities in these situations.

top topics

join