It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've been offered a little dog ... yea or nay ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
... a 4 month old French Bulldog ... (long story)

I've always wanted a dog. But I have 2 cats already and work 08:30-17:30. I could use my lunchbreak to take the dog for a walk, plus it'd have long walks in the evening and weekends (I live in the country).

But would 2 cats and a bulldog go well together ? I've no idea about the breed. Would it bark all day, what are their temperaments like ?

If you think it's a bad idea, please say, I'd rather people were brutally honest because it's a big decision. Has anyone experience of cats and dogs living together ? My friends are either cat, or dog ... I don't know anyone with one or more of each.

Any ideas what to do ?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
At just four months old, the cats would almost certainly be training the puppy to their ways...I don't think you would have a problem here at all. French bulldogs are lively and very friendly, in my experience, and I don't see it being a problem with the cats with regard to aggression or fighting either. I had a Stafforshire bull terrier and three cats many years ago, and the dog was a perfect gentleman with them. Bull breeds, even little ones, are not usually the monsters people sometimes make them out to be.

As for the work issue...he will be just fine. He will get used to your routine, if you can make it home at lunchtime to walk him, that's fine. This is not a German Shepherd or a Doberman you have here, who need stimulation to keep them sane, and he will have the cats for company anyway. Having said that, I'm looking at my sleeping lump of a German shepherd sleeping at my feet where he has been pretty much all day....

I would say go for it, give him a loving home and have fun. And please post pictures!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Dont even think about it, at 4moths there will be only some hissing from the cats for the first few days, then they will mother it

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Dont even think about it, at 4moths there will be only some hissing from the cats for the first few days, then they will mother it

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
2 positives !

Bit more background ...

My friend breeds French Bulldogs (very successfully too, lots of trophies & rosettes in her home for her efforts). This dog was placed with a family only a few weeks ago, it's been returned because they didn't appreciate how much time is required with a new dog. My friend, she's mightily annoyed with those people because she spent a whole afternoon with them to ensure they knew what was required and they've evaded her usual good instincts.

They were offered a full refund of the purchase price and declined. So the dog's basically free to a good home & she knows mine will be.

But it's just the interaction with the cats I'm scared about, neither of them goes out, both are rescue cats and one in particular is timid with strangers (human), the other I'm sure will be fine with a dog. And barking ? Do they bark much ? The last thing I'd want to do is annoy the neighbours.

Well, that's not true.

The last thing I'd want is to take this dog on, then have to return it to my friend to be re-homed for a second time. That'd just be too much, I need to get this decision right.

Thanks for your advice so far

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The puppy might be really good for the cats too remember....helping them to play and be a bit more confident perhaps. At worst, they might just ignore each other. As for barking....I don't think it's a big problem with this breed as far as I know...they're only little, and barking is a behavioural thing that can be trained in or out to a certain extent.

I totally respect that you want to get this right for the little guy this time. Sounds like he would be very happy with you.

We still want pictures!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Bulldog uses 2 police cars for chew toys!!!!

Not too put you off the idea too much, I would just suggest plenty of sacrificial items and make sure you have a way to cordon the little fella to a certain area of your home when your at work!

So far as the cats go that could work really well, with one cat it could be hit or miss, 2 cats are already used to sharing their domain, a pup would prob be entertainment for them after they figure out he's not going anywhere.

Think about the chewing though! - lot's and lots of both destructible and indestructible chew toys, and positive reinforcement of good behaviour yadda yadda, standard doggie stuff........ Get ready for pee in your shoes and a bum hole for an alarm clock.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I can't really offer advice about whether to take the puppy or not, but I met a French bulldog yesterday who was very cute! They don't get that big, so I guess that's a plus.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Hey, do it. I live in Finland too, we have a persian cat and a french bulldog, they go really well together.

French bulldogs have an amazingly loving and generous personallity, and the cat is the most dominant anyway! They do require a lot of time though, especially when young and in training. I work from home at the minute so no problem there.

They also have various problems from skin disorders to digestive problems, however we cant wait to get another one, we just have to wait as my cheeky boy cost me a thousand euro, the best grand I have ever spent though!

Good luck if you do, give me the number if you dont though, we have plenty of love for another one!!!

edit to add: Firstly sorry I didnt mean to tout for your dog!!! And the only time our dog barks is when he is 'announcing' a guest, otherwise they aer very well tempered, very cheeky and a little stubborn. However, I have lived with a lot of breeds in my life and would have to say the Frenchie has been the most fun and the most loving, just remember he/she will need a little jumper or a jacket over here until the summer, they dont like the cold too much!!!

[edit on 18/3/2010 by LestatG]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thought I'd drop by with an update

My friend has been contacted by a family whose bulldog died last year. They've expressed a strong interest in "my" dog and given that I was having doubts, and so as not to annoy my friend, I've let my offer fall by the wayside.

So we went to the local cat & dog home at the weekend to see if there were any suitable rescue dogs. And I saw a Kerry Blue Terrier, it's the weirdest looking thing, it's a working dog but might have fitted in with my lifestyle. Ir's big enough to take long walks, it's certainly got a feisty temperament.

So, at my request, they tested it out with a cat to see how the dog would react. And it seemingly passed with flying colours, it wasn't interested in the cat whatever.

But every "dog expert" I know is saying that a Kerry Blue is hugely unpredictable with cats, although the rescue home hopes there won't be a problem.

I wish, in a way, you could "try before you buy", to see how the dog would get on. I wish there was some way you could "try before you buy" ... it's such a difficult decision to make ... and such a final one too.

top topics

join