It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geomagnetic Storm Warning in Effect, Chile Blackout

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Geomagnetic Storm Warning in Effect, Chile Blackout

ahrcanum.wordpress.com

This morning, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory recorded a halo CME emerging from the vicinity of sunspot 1054: movie. The cloud appears to be heading toward Earth and it could spark geomagnetic storms when it arrives on or about March 17th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. www.spaceweather.com...

Besides preparing for St. Patrick’s Day festivities this morning, there were two more large earthquakes.
The probabilities for significant disturbances
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.swpc.noaa.gov
ahrcanum.wordpress.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ok, I know, I do not think this is a “real” news site, but he does offer compelling information with corroborating sites. I had no idea Chili had been in a blackout – it certainly was’t reported on the mainstream news.
As he discusses "The algorithm to make predictions on a daily basis using the ACE data is being tested..." One has to admit the fact that the real time prediction method is not currently working as it is "being tested" is annoyingly timely.
So, what do you think?

ahrcanum.wordpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gutterpus

Good find Gutterpus!!!

S+F

Better be watching those Solar X-ray Flux charts...

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Just so there is no confusion... the blackout in Chile is not related to Geomagnetic Storms.

Transformer Failure in Chile - MSNBC

"Officials blamed a transformer failure that caused a ripple effect and ultimately a total collapse of the Central Interconnected System grid."

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
According to RSOE EDIS there are no Geomagnetic Warnings at this time or within the last 24 hours. I will continue checking to see if it changes.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Edited to add a cool chart of Geomagnetic and Solar Storm scales!

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

[edit on 16-3-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I know, i can't find a d*mn thing either....

Both NOAA and spaceweather and SOHO are saying nothing about anything heading this way except an article on the spaceweather site for aurora watchers..

AURORA WATCH: A solar wind stream is heading for Earth, and so is a coronal mass ejection (CME). Together, they add up to a geomagnetic storm alert for March 17th and 18th. The impact of the solar wind plus CME will brighten Arctic skies already alive with Northern Lights:

Strange huh??

Peace

[edit on 16-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

That is strange? On the one hand they are issuing an alert that 2 things are headed this way, but on the other hand nothing? Maybe they wait to guage the effects before the issue an "official" warning?

There as another thread today stating that there is a sunspot visible with the naked eye. I am waiting for sunset to go and check that out!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

If they are amazing Northern Lights I will take as a sign.
I have observed the Northern lights from many locals in northern Canada. Although spectacular I have never yet been taken back in awe of them yet as I was when I first saw the Grand Canyon or the Canadian Rockies!

I had a friend from Oregon whose father was a prof at some college or University in Eugene.

When he first saw the northern lights he told me he thought Jesus was returning...no #...anyhow if that guy is on this site u2 me...lol

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Would they warn farm workers or other high productivity workers who are exposed to the sunlight if there was anything dangerous coming from the sun? (I don't think so).

If people in these fields were told to come in and not work for a few days there would be dramatic economic implications for corporate agriculture....so I think they don't warn or keep things hush hush in some instances for economic reasons and to hell with workers. I'm not saying this particular CME is cause for that concern....I'm just saying - think about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Where is Phage on this one.... I am sure he will have a good answer for this.. Come to us PHAGE!!!! We need good answers...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think someone got way too alarmed about the Sun. Whoever said they could see a sunspot with the naked eye must have been looking at the Sun too much and were seeing all kinds of spots. I saw that almost as soon as it was posted and immediately looked at solarcycle24 which has real current Sun images. I doubt the one spot #1054 was visible without a magnifying filter.

The Sun has been really quiet since early 2008 and is still not showing much sign of enough activity to get it back to previous solar cycle levels.

Some of the global warmists are probably hoping the sun will crank back up and maybe save their sorry butts from jail for fraud. If the sunspot level remains like it currently is... gonna get really cold here on Earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gutterpus

There is no way a geomagnetic storm could effect Chile without effecting anywhere else.

All of the energy from a solar storm enters through the poles, which is the same reason we see the auroras at the poles.

So for a solar storm to reach Chile, it would have to be massive and devastate most of North America and Europe as well.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
According to my sunspoty cycle site, there was a faint cme, which will cause minor geomagnetic storming, high latitude only, good auroras.
www.solarcycle24.com...
The blackout in chille was an overheated transformer. Lets not panic just yet.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I thought the halo cme was hitting early this morning. I seen a good red flare-up on the image of this site:

www2.nict.go.jp...

...but it soon droped back to normal.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I live right on the 60th and I will certainly keep my eyes open for the lights!!! I love it when we get strong lights that seem to dance in the sky!!!

Magnum

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gouzze
Where is Phage on this one.... I am sure he will have a good answer for this.. Come to us PHAGE!!!! We need good answers...

Maybe he can show you how to wipe your own ass also.
I mean really, are you not capable of thinking for yourself?
Is Phage some kind of truth moderator?

on topic..

I could not find anything confirming this either. I highly doubt this would just happen Chile. Chadwickus pretty much hit the nail on the head.

BTW Chadwickus, this does not mean I'm going to invoke you for all of my answers. So don't start feeling all warm and fuzzy..

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
www.spaceref.com...

Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity 15 March 2010

IB. Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be at
very low to low levels for the next three days (16-18 March).
C-flares are likely from Region 1054. There is a slight chance for
an isolated M-class event also from this region.
IIA. Geophysical Activity Summary 14/2100Z to 15/2100Z:
The geomagnetic field has been at quiet levels for the past 24 hours.
The greater than 2 MeV electron flux at geosynchronous orbit reached
high levels during the period.
IIB. Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is
expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels for the next three days
(16-18 March). The increase in activity is due to a recurrent
coronal hole high-speed stream on day one and day two, and a slow
moving partial halo CME observed on 13 February arriving late on day
three.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The article in the OP is only referring to the Chile quake and blackout last month..

A massive power failure h as plunged quake-hit Chile into darkness, stretching 2,000km (1,250 miles) and affecting up to 90% of the population. …Chile’s infrastructure was devastated by the quake on 27 February . The operators of the electricity grid said the blackout was caused by the failure of a high-voltage transformer about 700km south of the capital. Officials said the blackout was not directly related to the earthquake.

The article is suggesting that today's spike might have the same effect on whatever region it will hit.

Still GOES is showing nothing.....

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels for the next two days (17-18 March) due to a coronal hole high-speed stream on day one and the arrival of partial halo CME arriving on day two. Geomagnetic activity levels are expected to return to quiet levels on day three (19 March).

So C-class flares incoming on the 17th and returning to normal by the 19th..

A solar wind stream is heading for Earth, and so is a coronal mass ejection (CME)

It's a double event!!

Oh and don't freak over any anomalies in the GOES chart in the morning..

During the spring and fall, GOES-14 experiences eclipses in which the Earth blocks the X-ray instrument view to the sun for short periods once each day. For spring 2010 this period will run from Feb. 27 to Apr. 12, 2010. Eclipses ranging from minutes to just over an hour occur around 0700 UT. At these times there will be a dip or gap in the XRS signal shown.

Peace

[edit on 17-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

You dont have to be a jerk.... JERK!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Gouzze

not even phage is always correct. if people knew all the answers why would they be here???!!!!

some people on here are better off writing a book.

<<   2 >>

join