It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search on for Death Star that throws out deadly comets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Nasa scientists are searching for an invisible 'Death Star' that circles the Sun, which catapults potentially catastrophic comets at the Earth.

The star, also known as Nemesis, is five times the size of Jupiter and could be to blame for the impact that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

The bombardment of icy missiles is being blamed by some scientists for mass extinctions of life that they say happen every 26 million years.

Nemesis is predicted to lie at a distance equal to 25,000 times that of the Earth from the Sun, or a third of a light-year.

Astronomers believe it is of a type called a red or brown dwarf – a "failed star" that has not managed to generate enough energy to burn like the Sun.

But it should be detectable by a heat-sensitive space telescope called WISE, the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer.

Launched last year, WISE began surveying the skies in January. It is expected to discover a 1000 brown dwarfs within 25 light-years of the Sun – right on our cosmic doorstep – before its coolant runs out in October.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

More, and more we are finding that the companion star to he Sun is probably real.

Althought the scientists state that it could be circling the Sun, it's orbit could be elliptical, which would bring it closer at perihelion to the planets.

Not to long ago the mention of Nemesis would just bring a chuckle to many, even though ancient cultures have left us messages about it. Now science is bringing us closer to the truth.

I wonder what they will find with telescope WISE. Would they let us know the truth about the companion death star of the Sun? Or will they just hide, or even change whatever evidence they find?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Nemesis could very easily explain why weather has been so crazy. That is IF it is coming towards Earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have been using my telescope in the back yard two or three times a week. Last week I saw the thread about comets heading towards the sun so I checked it out in my telescope and I could hardly believe it when I saw two cluster directly in front of the sun just as I was told.

I am a novice but I can observe the moon. But lately I have been trying to locate different points or stars in the galaxy and identify each of their different properties. Some of the brightest stars are only pinholes of light in my strongest lense. Yet I have observed other planets such as Jupiter, mars or venus which is very interesting under a lens.

On several occasions I have discovered a dark mass that is bigger than the sun and the moon as it would appear in my lens. I can only see the edge of this massive dark looking planet that is illuminated slighly enough to see it through my telescope lens, but when I try to see omething with my naked eye I can not see anything. There are also some stars around that area which I could probably identify later but one in particular that sits on the very edge of this dark looking planet which I think is part of the reason I was able to find it.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

The OP is not saying Nemesis is anywhere near Earth, or that it ever has, nor ever will, come close to Earth. What the OP is saying, is that a brown dwarf somewhere out there is gravitationally flinging asteroids and comets our way. We already are quite confident that it was an asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. There are two massive, ancient craters implicated in this, both dated to that epoch: Shiva crater and Chicxulub crater.

I personally think it's possible, but I'm a bigger fan of the theory that as our solar system migrates traverses the mighty Milky Way, which takes around 225 million years to go around once, it regularly encounters regions of higher activity. Anyways I keep an open mind and hope WISE finds some cool stuff out there!

[edit on 16-3-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Shows that Binary star systems can support life just fine.
I think when we leave our planet we're gonna have a hard time avoiding aliens!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
part of a public disclosure plan to reveal the existence of Nemesis / Nibiru / Hercolobus?
Would millions be poured into a false hope based on elusive data?

I think not.

....echoes of Sitchin.....

-

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
part of a public disclosure plan to reveal the existence of Nemesis / Nibiru / Hercolobus?

I think not.

-

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Nemesis could very easily explain why weather has been so crazy. That is IF it is coming towards Earth.

For years some other members and I have been posting information about "strange" phenomenon happening in the Solar System which could be explained by such a star existing.

Not only that but it seems that it's effects are increasing. Some months ago I reported the sudden increase in the AU, or the distance between the Sun, and the planets which has increased and cannot be explained by our current understanding.

Whatever this is has been affecting satellites, such as Pioneer, and also recently it was mentioned that it is also affecting comets because they are arriving earlier than they are supposed to.

Some of the strange phenomenon are the Pioneer anomalies.

March 28, 2007: Read a letter from Pioneer Project Anomaly project director Slava Turyshev on the status of the analysis of the recovered Pioneer data.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something strange is happening in the outer reaches of our solar system. The Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecraft are not where they are supposed to be. These missions, launched in 1972 and 1973, have covered hundreds of millions of kilometers, heading toward the edge of our solar system. But something is holding them back. Each year, they fall behind in their projected travel by about 5,000 kilometers (3,000 miles).

Jet Propulsion Laboratory scientist John Anderson and his colleagues have been searching for an explanation since 1980. But as of yet, they have found nothing conclusive; no spacecraft behavior or previously unknown property of the outer solar system can explain the deceleration of the Pioneer spacecraft. Scientists are being forced to consider the unthinkable: something may be wrong with our understanding of the laws of physics. An important line of inquiry will be to study mounds of Doppler (velocity) data and spacecraft status data (like temperatures) that have been unavailable to researchers—but that is about to change.

www.planetary.org...

Focus: the Pioneer anomaly

To date, the Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecraft are the most precisely navigated deep-space vehicles. However, as indicated by their radio-metric data, the Pioneers’ orbit reconstructions were limited by a small, anomalous, constant, blue-shifted, Doppler frequency drift of approximately 6 x 10^-9 Hz/s. The drift can be interpreted as due to a constant sunward acceleration of a_P = (8.74 ± 1.33) 10^-10 m/s^2. This interpretation has become known as the Pioneer anomaly.

Although the most obvious explanation would be that there is a systematic origin to the effect, the limited set of the analyzed data does not support any of the suggested mechanisms. We assert that analysis of the entire existing Pioneer data is vital to understanding the anomaly and, hopefully, to finding its origin. Indeed, analysis of the entire existing Pioneer data record is critical in attacking the anomaly on two fronts: (i) an analysis of the early, not rigorously analyzed, data could yield a more accurate direction of the anomaly and hence might help to determine its origin; (ii) by using the entire data set, from 1972 to 2002, one could study the temporal evolution of the anomaly and determine if it is due to on-board nuclear fuel inventory and related heat radiation or other mechanism.

www.issi.unibe.ch...

Some evidence for the existence of a companion star to our Sun.

Evidence Mounts For Companion Star To Our Sun
by Staff Writers
Newport Beach CA (SPX) Apr 25, 2006
The Binary Research Institute (BRI) has found that orbital characteristics of the recently discovered planetoid, Sedna, demonstrate the possibility that our sun might be part of a binary star system. A binary star system consists of two stars gravitationally bound orbiting a common center of mass.

Once thought to be highly unusual, such systems are now considered to be common in the Milky Way galaxy.

Walter Cruttenden at BRI, Professor Richard Muller at UC Berkeley, Dr. Daniel Whitmire of the University of Louisiana, amongst several others, have long speculated on the possibility that our sun might have an as yet undiscovered companion. Most of the evidence has been statistical rather than physical.

The recent discovery of Sedna, a small planet like object first detected by Cal Tech astronomer Dr. Michael Brown, provides what could be indirect physical evidence of a solar companion. Matching the recent findings by Dr. Brown, showing that Sedna moves in a highly unusual elliptical orbit, Cruttenden has determined that Sedna moves in resonance with previously published orbital data for a hypothetical companion star.

In the May 2006 issue of Discover, Dr. Brown stated: "Sedna shouldnt be there. Theres no way to put Sedna where it is. It never comes close enough to be affected by the sun, but it never goes far enough away from the sun to be affected by other stars... Sedna is stuck, frozen in place; there's no way to move it, basically there's no way to put it there – unless it formed there. But it's in a very elliptical orbit like that. It simply can't be there. There's no possible way - except it is. So how, then?"

"I'm thinking it was placed there in the earliest history of the solar system. I'm thinking it could have gotten there if there used to be stars a lot closer than they are now and those stars affected Sedna on the outer part of its orbit and then later on moved away. So I call Sedna a fossil record of the earliest solar system. Eventually, when other fossil records are found, Sedna will help tell us how the sun formed and the number of stars that were close to the sun when it formed."

www.spacedaily.com...

Does a Companion Star to Sun cause Earth's Periodic Mass Extinctions?

THE THEORIZED COMPANION STAR, THROUGH ITS GRAVITATIONAL PULL, UNLEASHES A FURIOUS STORM OF COMETS IN THE INNER SOLAR SYSTEM LASTING FROM 100,000 TO TWO MILLION YEARS. SEVERAL OF THESE COMETS STRIKE THE EARTH.

"Heavy snows are driven and fall from the world's four corners; the murder frost prevails. The Sun is darkened at noon; it sheds no gladness; devouring tempests bellow and never end. In vain do men await the coming of summer. Thrice winter follows winter over a world which is snow-smitten, frost-fettered, and chained in ice."

"Fimbul Winter" from Norse saga, Twilight of the Gods

By Lynn Yarris

Our species, Homo sapiens, arose approximately 250,000 years ago. In the beginning, we used tools of stone and sought shelter in caves. Today, our shelters scrape clouds and our tools allow us to see galaxies far beyond our own, or peer deep into the heart of matter itself. So much progress in such a short time, for in geological terms, the reign of our species has been but the proverbial blink of an eye. Imagine, however, what our record of achievement would be had our history been disrupted no less than five times by titanic nuclear wars, each delivering a destructive blast 10,000 times more powerful than the combined yield of all existing nuclear weapons in our world today.

Such upheaval is what many other species, including the dinosaurs, may have faced during the history of our planet, according to a theory set forth by a Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (LBL) scientist and his colleagues. The theory postulates that every 26 to 30 million years, life on Earth is severely jeopardized by the arrival of a small companion star to the sun. Dubbed "Nemesis" (after the Greek goddess of retribution), the companion star�through its gravitational pull�unleashes a furious storm of comets into the inner solar system that lasts anywhere from 100,000 years to two million years. Of the billions of comets sent swarming toward the sun, several strike the Earth, triggering a nightmarish sequence of ecological catastrophes.

"We expect that in a typical comet storm, there would be perhaps 10 impacts spread out over two million years, with intervals averaging 50,000 years between impacts," says LBL astrophysicist Richard Muller. In 1984, Muller, along with UC Berkeley astronomer Marc Davis and Piet Hut, an astronomer with the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton University, announced the Nemesis theory in Nature magazine. As could be expected, it was and remains controversial. However, although the evidence for the existence of Nemesis is still circumstantial, this evidence continues to mount, and the theory has so far withstood all challenges.

Nemesis was the culmination of a chain of events that began in 1977, in Gubbio, Italy, a tiny village halfway between Rome and Florence. Walter Alvarez, a UC Berkeley geologist, was collecting samples of the limestone rock there for a study on paleomagnetism. The limestone rock outside of Gubbio is a big attraction for geologists and paleontologists because it provides a complete geological record of the end of the Cretaceous period and the beginning of the Tertiary period. This transition took place 65 million years ago, and is of special significance to our species, for it marked the close of the "Age of Reptiles," when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. Sometimes referred to as "the Great Dying," the massive extinction that engulfed the dinosaurs claimed nearly 75 percent of all the species of life on our planet, including most types of plants and many types of microscopic organisms. As much as 95 percent of all living creatures might have perished at the peak of destruction.

www.lbl.gov...

To continue.

[edit on 16-3-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I think not.

-

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Among the other anomalies, the secular increase in AU, or the distance between the Sun, and planets which has increased and cannot be explained.

Anomalies in the Solar System
Dittus, Hansjoerg
37th COSPAR Scientific Assembly. Held 13-20 July 2008, in Montréal, Canada., p.717
Several observations show unexplained phenomena in our solar system. These observations are e.g. the Pioneer Anomaly, an unexplained constant acceleration of the Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecraft, the Flyby Anomaly, an unexplained increase of the velocity of a series of spacecraft after Earth gravity assists, the recently reported increase of the Astronomical Unit defined by the distance of the planets from the Sun by approximately 10 m per century, the quadrupole and octupole anomaly which describes the correlation of the low l contributions of the Cosmic Microwave Background to the orientation of the Solar system. Lacking any explanation until now, these phenomena are still investigated intensively. In my talk I will discuss the present status of those investigations and the attempts to find reasonable explantions.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

Another source explaining a bit more about the secular increase in AU, and which still states it cannot be explained by our current knowledge.

Secular increase of the astronomical unit and perihelion precessions as tests of the Dvali–Gabadadze–Porrati multi-dimensional braneworld scenario
Lorenzo Iorio JCAP09(2005)006 doi: 10.1088/1475-7516/2005/09/006

PDF (313 KB) | HTML | References | Articles citing this article

Lorenzo Iorio
Viale Unità di Italia 68, 70125, Bari, Italy
E-mail: [email protected]
Abstract. An unexpected secular increase of the astronomical unit, the length scale of the Solar System, has recently been reported by three different research groups (Krasinsky and Brumberg, Pitjeva, Standish). The latest JPL measurements amount to 7 ± 2 m cy−1. At present, there are no explanations able to accommodate such an observed phenomenon, either in the realm of classical physics or in the usual four-dimensional framework of the Einsteinian general relativity. The Dvali–Gabadadze–Porrati braneworld scenario, which is a multi-dimensional model of gravity aimed at providing an explanation of the observed cosmic acceleration without dark energy, predicts, among other things, a perihelion secular shift, due to Lue and Starkman, of 5 × 10−4 arcsec cy−1 for all the planets of the Solar System. It yields a variation of about 6 m cy−1 for the Earth–Sun distance which is compatible with the observed rate of change for the astronomical unit. The recently measured corrections to the secular motions of the perihelia of the inner planets of the Solar System are in agreement with the predicted value of the Lue–Starkman effect for Mercury, Mars and, at a slightly worse level, the Earth.

www.iop.org...

Evidence that whatever this is seems to also be affecting comets, and they are arriving earlier than they are supposed to.

6 The increase of the Astronomical Unit

6.1 The observation

From the analysis of radiometric measurements of distances between the Earth and the major planets including observations from Martian orbiters and landers from 1961 to 2003 a secular increase of the Astronomical Unit of approximately 10 m/cy has been reported (36) (see also the article (37) and the discussion therein).

6.2 Search for explanation

Time–dependent gravitational constant and velocity of light This increase cannot be explained by a time–dependent gravitational constant G because the ˙ G/G needed is larger than the restrictions obtained from LLR.

It has also been speculated that a time–dependent change in the velocity of light can be responsible for this effect. Indeed, if the speed of light becomes smaller, than ranging will simulate a drift of distances. However, a inspection of Kepler’s third law
T2 4π2
a3 = GM⊙

(17)

shows that, if one replaces the distance a by a ranging time a = ct, then effectively the quotient G/c3 appears. Only this combination of the gravitational constant and the speed of light governs the ratio between the orbit time, in our case the orbit time of the Earth. Consequently, a time–dependent speed of light is equivalent to a time–dependent gravitational constant. Since the latter has been ruled out to be possibly responsible for an increase of the Astronomical Unit, also a time–dependent speed of light has to be ruled out.

Cosmic expansion The influence of cosmic expansion by many orders of magnitude too small, see Sec.9.2. Neither the modification of the gravitational field of the Sun nor the drag of the planetary orbits due to the expansion is big enough to explain this drift.

Clock drift An increase of ranged distances might also be due to a drift of the time scale of the form t → t + αt2 for α > 0. This is of the same form as the time drift needed to account for the Pioneer anomaly. From Kepler’s third law one may ask which α is suitable in order to simulate the increase of the Astronomical Unit. One obtains α ≈ 3 · 10−20 s−1 what is astonishing close to the clock drift needed for a clock drift simulation of the pioneer anomaly, see Eq.(16) and below.
7 The quadrupole and octupule anomaly Recently an anomalous behavior of the low–l contributions to the cosmic microwave background has been reported. It has been shown that (i) there exists an alignment between the quadrupole and octupole with > 99.87% C.L. [38], and (ii) that the quadrupole and octupole are aligned to Solar system ecliptic to > 99% C.L. [39]. No correlation with the galactic plane has been found.

The reason for this is totally unclear. One may speculate that an unknown gravitational field within the Solar system slightly redirects the incoming cosmic microwave radiation (in the similar way as a motion with a certain velocity with respect to the rest frame of the cosmological background redirects the cosmic background radiation and leads to modifications of the dipole and quadrupole parts). Such a redirection should be more pronounced for low–l components of the radiation. It should be possible to calculate the gravitational field needed for such a redirection and then to compare that with the observational data of the Solar system and the other observed anomalies.

8.2 Other anomalies?
There is one further observation which status is rather unclear bit which perhaps may fit into the other observations. This is the observation of the return time of comets: Comets usually come back a few days before they are expected when applying ordinary equations of motion. The delay usually is assigned to the outgassing of these objects. In fact, the delay is used for an estimate of the strength of this outgassing. On the other hand, it has been calculated in (44) that the assumption that starting with 20 AU there is an additional acceleration of the order of the Pioneer anomaly also leads to the effect that comets come back a few days earlier. It is not clear whether this is a serious indications but a further study of the trajectories of comets certainly is worthwhile.

arxiv.org...

There is a lot more evidence to this.

Of note I have also given theinterview done by Art Bell to Father Milachi Martin, who in 1997 stated that the Vatican knew of something which was approaching our Solar System, he said it was approaching us from space, and which was known by the Vatican and was also the main purpose for the Vatican owning Mt. Graham International Observatory.

www.cyberspaceorbit.com...

Father Malachi Martin was not just a regular person, he was a theologian, former Jesuit and professor at the Vatican's Pontifical Biblical Institute. He had doctorates in Semitic languages, archeology, and Oriental history, and was an associate and friend to Pope John XXIII.

This was a man with connections in the Vatican, who worked for them, and he came forward with information which "might" have been the reason for his death. He died in 1999 by falling a flight of stairs which caused a heart attack. It could have been natural, but it is just a bit too strange.

Here is an audio file of what he said was approaching us, and the knowledge about this by those in power in the Vatican.

www.cyberspaceorbit.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Please stop spamming that.

You prove nothing by continuing to spam the same thing over, and over, which in itself is no proof.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by prevenge

Please stop spamming that.

You prove nothing by continuing to spam the same thing over, and over, which in itself is no proof.

chill.
that wasn't done intentionally. .. internet issues.

mods could you plz delete the extra posts? thnx.

new topics

top topics

join