It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I just joined ATS a day or so ago, so I'm not sure if this concern has been addressed. Doesn't the fact that giving more points for certain subjects detract potential posters or repliers from potentially valuable discussions in other subjects?

I know I was tempted and it seems that others may be tempted in putting the majority of their discussions in the subjects that gain more points. Wouldn't a plain uniform point system be better?

I see a lot of threads in the more valuable point subjects, which have as much or even less importance than threads on the least valuable point subjects, so I can't see it being harder to post a certain topic or reply in a certain way in the more valuable subjects.

Maybe you think people would be more interested or SHOULD be more interested in these subjects, but why not just let the people decide.

Maybe their could even be a point system based on the number of posts, replies, views in certain subjects based on the previous month/week/day?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I realized the second I was able to buy access to RATS that I never even noticed the points unless someone brings them up. Just post under sections that interest you and it will all fly by.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
There is a thread here on ATS that SO posted that went over the whole point system. I'm not sure where it is, but use the search and you'll be able to find it.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
There is a thread here on ATS that SO posted that went over the whole point system.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Voila.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I just joined ATS a day or so ago, so I'm not sure if this concern has been addressed. Doesn't the fact that giving more points for certain subjects detract potential posters or repliers from potentially valuable discussions in other subjects?

Not me.

I tend to be attracted by an interesting subject no matter what the Forum, or whether it's on ATS or BTS. Also members with whom I have an affinity or who have posted high quality material in the past or who can teach me something will receive attention.

There are points ascribed to the originator of a topic for replies - should that be across all Forums in your opinion?

Sometimes people knowingly create new topics in areas they know have been covered off, to attract points, but that's (usually) transparent and pulled back by the more diligent Mods. Then there are fresh approaches to well trodden topics that are pulled back because a Mod doesn't like the subject, too. Human nature.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
No, fresh approaches are not down trodden. The re-rehashing of the same old approaches are directed towards pre-existing threads.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
True to a point, Manuel...

But read what I said.

I did not say "downtrodden".

I said fresh approaches to "well trodden" subjects were "pulled back".

It must be the dialect in Barcelona.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Yes, but your implication stays the same, and it is false nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Isn't linking to pre-existing threads kind of biased towards pre-existing members....as far as the point system goes? And if points don't matter, why does that exist?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I realized the second I was able to buy access to RATS that I never even noticed the points unless someone brings them up. Just post under sections that interest you and it will all fly by.

Jonna is perfectly correct. Don't just post in order to get points - the better a post, the more responses you will get and the more points you will ultimately receive. The points system isn't designed to make people post inanities just to get the goodies from the store - its there to 'reward' the good posters and give them something to aim towards.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I wasn't talking about myself personally, I post and reply to anything I think is interesting...I'm talking more about all the members, cause there may be only a select few who do things as they should be done

new topics

top topics

join