It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human arm Transmits Broadband

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It seems that Korean researchers have found a viable way to transmit data through the human body. This could lead to wireless health monitoring devices in the future which would be helpful but what other possible avenues could this breakthrough travel?

www.newscientist.com

First we sent data through wires, then the air, now the human body is becoming a communications conduit.

Researchers at Korea University in Seoul have transmitted data at a rate of 10 megabits per second through a person's arm, between two electrodes placed on their skin 30 centimetres apart.

The thin, flexible electrodes use significantly less energy than a wireless link like Bluetooth. That's because low-frequency electromagnetic waves pass through skin with little attenuation, a route that also shelters them from outside interference.

Cool stuff but also a bit unsettling at the same time.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The Age of the Cyborg, is here

Great article. S&F. Funny how it is always Korea that comes up with stuff like that.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
10 Megabits? Hmm, sounds good but who's the broadband supplier, what if I'm in a rural area?

One step closer to man/machine. Great find OP - I really like New Scientist.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

One step closer to man/machine.

That was my first thought as well after reading the article. Wonder how the devious minds will take this and turn it into something evil ?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
News flash,

Thousands of bits of information travels through you already, as you read this.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Through an externally installed data device?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well only makes sense since the entire universe operates on frequency.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
what ever next? mind control?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Simply fascinating news! I love the idea of man/machine, and am not entirely convinced that is not EXACTLY what we actually are, flesh machines.

We are going to keep discovering new science like this OP, and one day we will wake up and have invented...ourselves.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So this is all for a health monitoring network they are saying. Key word network. They go on to say that this will cut energy use and be more efficient than current wireless transmissions.

"We are going to have to explore more energy-efficient communication systems because wireless transmission is such a big power hog."

I see this as an excuse to hardwire everyone. But that is just me.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama

Through an externally installed data device?

Uh, yeah, every time you use a cell phone the radio waves travel through your body. You become a part of the antennae.

Every time you go near an FM radio or analog television set, you become a part of the antennae.

Every time you pass a wireless network router, bits of information pass through you.

There is 100's of radio stations, cell phone calls, and wireless transmissions passing through you every moment in time.

Also, here is an article from 2008 about using the skin as a conductor:
gizmodo.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Oh also, you should read about the PAN....

en.wikipedia.org...

Personal Area Network

Skinplex, another PAN technology, transmits via the capacitive near field of human skin. Skinplex can detect and communicate up to one meter from a human body. It is already used for access control for door locks and jamming protection in convertible car roofs.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Thanks for that link, here's the original article from guess where? New Scientist

That's interesting as well, though that one appears to use the surface of the skin as a conduit and not internally as the OP article reveals.

It seems we are full of information whether we know it or not.

what's next?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
The Age of the Cyborg, is here

Great article. S&F. Funny how it is always Korea that comes up with stuff like that.
yeah, prolly because human experimentation is illegal here in the U.S.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Another interesting link

I hit the skinplex link from the wiki page but couldn't find it listed in there. I see the Ultra Low Power Proximity (ULPP) and GestIC stuff mentioned there, do they fall under the umbrella of skinplex tech?

[edit on 3/16/10 by SaveTheDrama]

new topics

top topics

join