It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has Labour Government done for England?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Since then labour have been in government they have

1. Sold our sovereignty

UK ratifies the EU Lisbon Treaty

The UK has officially ratified the European Union's Lisbon Treaty. he treaty sets out a way forward for the 27-member and replaces the EU constitution which was abandoned after "no" votes in French and Dutch referendums.
Opponents argue it is so similar to the constitution that promises to hold a referendum on the constitution should apply to the treaty.
But ministers say the two differ and a referendum is not needed as the treaty does not have constitutional implications.

Lisbon Treaty: more of Britain's powers surrendered to Brussels

Britain's power to govern itself is to be surrendered increasingly to Brussels after the European Union’s Lisbon Treaty was finally ratified.
The treaty, which will come into force within a few weeks, will create the first president of Europe, as well as a European foreign minister, and will end Britain’s right to veto new EU rules in more than 40 policy areas.”

White Cliffs of Dover to be sold to the French to help reduce Government's debt

[Ex]For generations Dover has stood as an indomitable symbol of Britain’s freedom and independence. The town, with its white cliffs, port and sprawling castle stood at the very edge of the nation’s frontier with the Continent.

But now part of that proud history is up for sale and the leading bidder is revealed as the former age-old enemy – France.

2. Sold our gold

Goldfinger Brown’s £2 billion blunder in the bullion market

3. Raided the public pension fund

Brown's raid on pensions costs Britain £100 billion

4. Created a black hole deficit

Budget 2010: EU calls for faster UK deficit cuts

EU rules say government deficits must be below 3% of GDP, but the UK's deficit is expected to hit £178bn - or 12.6% of GDP - this year.

5. Signed up for an olympics we can't afford

Welcome to the London Olympics 2012!

It has been estimated that the total cost for the Games will be more than £11.3 bn. Creating the Olympic venues and making sure the right infrastructures are in place for the Games will primarily be funded by public money - taxes.
The Olympics Games themselves will be funded mainly by the private sector.

6. Gone to war and lied to the population about the real reasons

Iraq inquiry to recall Tony Blair over possible conflicting evidence

The former prime minister, who gave nearly six hours of evidence on Friday, is expected to be asked about intelligence reports. His second public appearance could take place before the general election.

The panel are concerned in particular about his evidence relating to the legality of the invasion, the Guardian has learned. Blair's evidence seemingly contradicted that given by Lord Goldsmith, the attorney general at the time, about the number of discussions the pair had about issues of law between 7 March and 17 March 2003, three days before the attack on Iraq.

7. Created a fuel crisis that damaged the whole economy more than just the haulage companies...

Blair ridiculed over fuel crisis

Under Labour, people are paying around £350 more per year for their petrol - equivalent to a 2p rise in the basic rate of income tax

8. Created a tax credit system that means people can't earn more even if they put in more hours.

£7.3billion was overpaid in tax credits chaos... now Labour wants to claw it back

About £7.3billion has been overpaid as part of Gordon Brown's flagship tax credit scheme, a report by MPs reveals today. More than a million struggling families may be tested by further hardship as the money is clawed back, it says. On average each faces an annual bill of £770, according to the Commons' spending watchdog, the public accounts committee.

Cont....

[edit on 16-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
9. Brought the country to its knees when a financial crisis hit due to not having any money left.
Gordon Brown brings Britain to the edge of bankruptcy

Iain Martin says the Prime Minister hasn't 'saved the world' and now faces disgrace in the history books The Government's bail-out of the banks in October with £37 billion of taxpayers' money was supposed to have "saved the world", according to the PM, but now it is clear that it has not even saved the banks.
Our money kept the show on the road for only three months. As the Liberal Democrats' Treasury spokesman Vince Cable asks: where has the £37 billion gone? The answer, as Cable knows, is that it has disappeared down the plug hole.

10. Entered Governmental part ownership of the failing Banks.
British government unveils £37bn banking bail-out plan

Banks part owned by UK govt running scared of lending to commercial property sector The government will take a controlling stake of up to 60% in RBS, in return for up to £20bn from the taxpayer. The bank admitted this morning that trading has deteriorated in recent weeks. The chief executive, Sir Fred Goodwin, known as "Fred the Shred" for his cost-cutting reputation, and chairman Sir Tom McKillop are stepping down.
Lloyds, which renegotiated its takeover of HBOS over the weekend, will receive up to £17bn once the merger goes through. This will leave the government owning up to 43.5% of the enlarged group, with Lloyds shareholders owning 36.5% and HBOS's investors just 20%.

11. Lost millions of government records on the populace
Government's record year of data loss

A record 37 million items of personal data went missing last year, new research reveals. Most of the data was lost by government officials but councils, NHS trusts, banks, insurance companies and chain stores also mislaid or published personal information about staff or members of the public.
Many losses were caused through CDs going missing in the post, laptop thefts, and inadequate security systems that failed to stop hackers reading information stored on computers. The details lost included those of names, addresses, passports, bank and mortgage accounts, credit cards, hospital records, dates of birth, national insurance numbers, driving licences and telephone numbers.

Thank you very much Tony Blair and Gordon Brown and the labour government for doing your best to destroy the country!

Role on May the 6th of May – it’s POLLING DAY!!

Peace out,
Korg.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Very little to be honest, but then again I didn't expect them to. I'm left-wing in my politics and I saw the centrist New Labour as being merely a variant on the Conservatives, who have since claimed to have become more centrist and no longer the 'nasty party on the right'.

Anyone who thinks the New Labour party as being a left-wing party concerned for the working classes is an idiot. All they've really cared about is privatisation and big business.

I still won't vote Tory though. I've already pointed out much of New Labour's failings are down to their relationship with business. This is the traditional stomping ground of the Tories and I expect it to be even worse in this respect if the Tories get in. Anything New Labour haven't sold off already will go under the Tories sooner or later.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I agree both Labour and the Conservatives are rapidly becoming the same party. If i decide to vote i'll go Lib Dem i think. Not that it really matters. Ive lost all faith in british polotics and in all british politicians.

Paddy Ashdown for PM. He'll sort us out lol.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal

I agree both Labour and the Conservatives are rapidly becoming the same party. If i decide to vote i'll go Lib Dem i think. Not that it really matters. Ive lost all faith in british polotics and in all british politicians.

Paddy Ashdown for PM. He'll sort us out lol.

I'm actually panicking a little to be honest. I've voted in every general and local election since 1986. I think of voting as a precious thing that too few people appreciate or use. Yet this year, I'm really stuck as my concerns aren't really matched by any party in a way that I'd like.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Well obviously the major situation is the economy. Strangely enough, i think Gordon brown would be best suited to handle it. This means at least another five years of the same old Labour party.

The Conservatives claim that they could sort it all out but they have no real track record to look back on. Both as you said are all about big business. So it looks like we're screwed if we do and screwed if we dont.

I know the Lib Dems can say pretty much anything because they'll never get in but it looks like they could have the deciding vote if theres a hung parliament.

I always vote and believe that its a wonderful thing to be able to have your say. Just a shame that they stop listening as soon as they get in to power.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Nanny state, blair was obsessed with the idea.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Its not Labour doing the damage, its the puppet masters behind it.

Common Purpose!

John Harris, this video is a must watch. its great.

BBC5tv

Gareth

[edit on 16-3-2010 by gareth01422]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Here are the videos from the above link. I haven't watched them as yet so i'm not saying I endors them at this stage, will tell you what I think when I've watched.

Peace out,

Korg,

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Labour used to be the party of the working classes, it was established through the trade union movement. It was meant to look out for working class people, not pander to big business. The reason so many working class people voted BNP is because they have been ignored by New Labour, it was the Labour party who should have addressed the problems of social housing and deprivation in cities. Instead Blair continued the policies of thatcher, focusing on the individual rather than the community.

There are no true Labour MPs left, just a bunch of centerist career politicians.

I'm thinking of voting the Green Party. My views seem to be most inline with theirs, so thats who I'll vote, I'm in a tory safe seat, so not much I can do about it really.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I'm thinking of voting the Green Party. My views seem to be most in line with theirs, so that’s who I'll vote, I'm in a Tory safe seat, so not much I can do about it really.

Well, I respect anyone who stands up to be counted and I also respect anyone who votes for the party that best represents their beliefs
Regardless of whether they believe their party stands a chance or not.

I believe the reason the BNP got so many votes last time round was due to the immigration policies or lack of policies this government have.

I have no problem with a sensible level of immigration but we are being flooded by foreign nationals that then feed of our already creaky system... News stories like this...

The Polish baby boom: Fears for NHS and schools as 1,000 Polish children are born EVERY month

Hospitals and schools are struggling to cope with a huge influx of Eastern European children, new figures show. The number of Polish babies born in UK hospitals has almost quadrupled since the 2004 EU expansion. On current trends, there will be more than 13,000 such births this year, costing the NHS more than £20million.

Get a free abortion on the NHS: Polish women advised to travel to Britain for treatment

Polish women are being told to come to Britain for free NHS abortions to avoid strict laws at home. They are being urged to take advantage of cheap flights and hotels as part of a poster campaign which features a semi-naked woman with the words 'my choice' written across her stomach.

Then we have this...

Rise in immigrants coming to UK, ONS data shows

Immigration to the UK continued to rise last year, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). About 590,000 people came to live in Britain in 2008, compared with 574,000 the year before, figures showed. However, a growing number of people have been leaving the UK permanently. About 427,000 people emigrated last year, up from 341,000 in 2007

Am I reading this right?? Under the conservatives the immigration levels were kept to a level then under labour the immigration surges and appears to be completely unmanaged??

Then it looks like when labour came into power there was a record number of people looking to leave the country??

Surely this is a sign that Labour has screwed things up big time right?

Peace out,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

No screw up involved my friend. Labour delibrately opened the flood gates to all of europe. I think the plan was to boost the economy and lower the unemployment stats. That may have worked temporarily, but now all these extra people is seriously putting the NHS and other organisations under strain. Yet another one of Tony B's great legacys.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
reply to post by Korg Trinity

No screw up involved my friend. Labour deliberately opened the flood gates to all of Europe. I think the plan was to boost the economy and lower the unemployment stats. That may have worked temporarily, but now all these extra people is seriously putting the NHS and other organisations under strain. Yet another one of Tony B's great legacies.

You're probably right, and it is typical of Labour to jump in with both feet and not think about the consequences... after all it's the populace that suffers not them.

Peace out,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I think the mistake of this thread is the view that these two partys are any different from eachother. Its only every once in a while, over the course of british politics, someone comes along with a good heart and fights for what is wanted by the people.
Labour have opened up the flood gates, yes, but whats not to say that conservatives wouldnt have done the same?
These two partys take it in turns to ruin the country. It doesnt really matter where you place your vote, these puppets are in no rush to fix things. As for the 3rd option, the lib's...Well, i sometimes think they personally make themselves look like a set of tards in suits.
"Ahh yes, we are the 3rd option, but you'll never vote for us."

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
and what would consevatives do???
they talk out the wrong hole esp david cameron hes so fake

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Labour used to be the party of the working classes, it was established through the trade union movement. It was meant to look out for working class people, not pander to big business. The reason so many working class people voted BNP is because they have been ignored by New Labour, it was the Labour party who should have addressed the problems of social housing and deprivation in cities. Instead Blair continued the policies of thatcher, focusing on the individual rather than the community.

There are no true Labour MPs left, just a bunch of centerist career politicians.

I'm thinking of voting the Green Party. My views seem to be most inline with theirs, so thats who I'll vote, I'm in a tory safe seat, so not much I can do about it really.

Actually Denis Skinner is an old school labour MP. I did not like the idea of new labour I never liked the politics of Militant and felt hat they should be more honest and leave the albour party.

The Unions still fund Labour so there is still a sense of checking for the working people but in order to win an election the party has to be in the centre. The centre has moved to the right overall. Politics in the UK is incredibly clapped out. There is no debate of substance or even long term planning. The spin doctors rule. I am a keen voter and may have to vote Lib Dem but even that is a protest vote as they are unlikely to win. Then on the 7th we get up and find we have another 4 to 5 years of Cr*p government.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
I think the mistake of this thread is the view that these two partys are any different from eachother. Its only every once in a while, over the course of british politics, someone comes along with a good heart and fights for what is wanted by the people.
Labour have opened up the flood gates, yes, but whats not to say that conservatives wouldnt have done the same?
These two partys take it in turns to ruin the country. It doesnt really matter where you place your vote, these puppets are in no rush to fix things. As for the 3rd option, the lib's...Well, i sometimes think they personally make themselves look like a set of tards in suits.
"Ahh yes, we are the 3rd option, but you'll never vote for us."

I disagree, and I recommend that you should look into the differences in policy before you cast your vote.

There is a key difference in how these two parties manage the country.

1. Labour

Labour manage the country by forcing its populace to rely heavily on the state, taxation is high under a labour govenment as they tax to pay for the blanket services. The populace has no say in what thier money is used for, and often a tax taken for the use of one thing such as road tax is not used to replenish the roads its diverted elsewhere. Labour wants you to rely on their tax credit system of take with one hand give back with the other at a rate that means you never move forwards.

Labour government is a passive government - meaning those that do little are rewarded (those that sit on their bums all day doing little or having kids to bump up their child tax credit or pretending to have depression so you can get incapacity benefit etc...).

Those that do more, working overtime or getting an education to get promoted are penalised by a reduction in tax credit etc...

This kind of government is very oppressive and harms the country in so many ways in unreal.

2. Conservatives

The Conservatives reduce public spending and taxes tend to be much lower overall due to not having to prop up failing or unused services. The Labour tax credit scheme does not exist under the conservatives; instead they alter your tax code based upon income and circumstance.

As such there is more direct disposable income available at the end of the month and so the freedom to choose what services the populace uses creates a situation of competitive industry that drives down costs.

The conservatives are a do'ers government - you are rewarded the more you do, and penalised for doing little, such as sit on the dole having kids pretending your back is too bad to go to work etc..

This the fundamental difference between the two parties...

The question is what do you prefer? do you want to rely on the state or do you want to have a fair chance to build a future for yourself and your family??

The conservatives have been in power for more than 65 years over the last 100 taking us through two world wars and numerious other major world events, Labour util its current incarnation has never held the seat of power for more than two elections in a row.

I know who I will vote for, I will vote not just becasue I have no confidence in Gordon Brown or Labour policy. I vote conservative because I want England to be the Great country it can be, I vote Conservative because the people here deserve better and because we can be world leaders once more, instead of a lapdog of Europe that Labour wants us to be.

Hope this helps,

Korg.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Politics in general at Westminster is nothing short of a joke, intellectual rigor has gone out the window. All we see now is media tabloid trash talking points for the most part, bare faced lies regarding many important topics, not to mention the sheep mentality thanks to party whips . I will be voting fourth party, i cannot stand people who vote for the lesser evil simply because their preferred party of choice may not have any chance, it's that mentality that doesn't give fourth parties a chance!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Politics in general at Westminster is nothing short of a joke, intellectual rigor has gone out the window. All we see now is media tabloid trash talking points for the most part, bare faced lies regarding many important topics, not to mention the sheep mentality thanks to party whips . I will be voting fourth party, i cannot stand people who vote for the lesser evil simply because their preferred party of choice may not have any chance, it's that mentality that doesn't give fourth parties a chance!

Fourth party?

I sincerely hope you don't mean BNP

Seriously though if you mean UKIP then take a look at their policies, they effectively for the most part mirror the old conservatives.

If you vote for UKIP it is just weakening the conservative vote but vying for the same ground. Why do that? If you did this then all you are doing is making the conservative lead seem less.

Though I doubt the conservatives have anything to fear this is no time to be complaisant.

And for the person that said that Cameron is fake has never met him. I have briefly on one of his walkabouts and I can tell you there is 'zero' fake about him. The one thing I took from my conversation with him was his passion and belief that the Conservative party can help us all.

I got a sense of selflessness about him, I don't think he just wants to be prime minister, I think he genuinely thinks that his party can help.

Lets have a look at the candidates shall we??

I have not met Gordon brown... though if I did I'm sure the first thing I would think is what a fake smile...

Out of these two who would you believe if they said I want to help you??

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Neither of those parties you mentioned, and David Cameron is a piece of pond life but im glad you liked his public face and superb acting. But that's all it is, the man has been groomed for this and will inevitably follow the same plan for the UK. Yes he will make some tweaks to the system here and there as will any of the big three if elected. But the simple fact is that the whole system needs an overhaul and neither of the three parties will ever do this if elected, they have been bought and paid for long ago. All your doing in electing any of them is picking which lie adheres to your ideology and vision for a future Britain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join